SASS Wire Forum

People of Cowboy Action Shooting

Amber Oakley SASS#88493

22 hours ago, Roland Deschain #107884 said:

SASS Alias: Roland Deschain

SASS #: 107884

Where you are from: Dana Point, CA

How long you’ve been Cowboy Action Shooting:  I've yet to attend a match, but I've started by registering with SASS.

No picture, yet!

Welcome aboard Roland to the best game and folks goin.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

• Like 5

SASS Alias:  Turkey Flats Jack

SASS #:  107643

Where you are from:  Live in Roswell, Ohio.  Raised outside of Turkey Flats on Blizzard Ridge. 

How long you’ve been Cowboy Action Shooting:  Officially became a SASS member about June of '18 although I shot CAS in '06 & -'07

My back story: Having just turned 16 in the beginning of '61 and wanting to be my own man I rode off to join up in the army. I knew my local unit wouldnt have me so I made my way to Richmond. Upon my arrival I lucked out and was signed up to ride with the Radford Rangers out of Camp Davis. Having my own horse turned out to be a great advantage. I didnt get stuck in the basic infantry. There were 6 of us named Jack riding under LT Col. Langhorne. At muster they started calling us by where we were from. Not wanting to admit I was a yank I went with what the area was called where I was born. I became known as Turkey Flats Jack. I wasnt a model soldier but I followed orders and kept calm under fire. I somehow managed to ride out the war mostly unscathed. After Lee surrendered I wasnt sure what to do. I didnt know how to do much other than ride, shoot, and follow orders. I ended up being a deputy marshall here and there among the small towns up and down the Ohio River. Musta been right about September of 1871 I found myself in Chicago IL with a prisoner that needed turned over to the local marshal. Wanting to rest a bit before heading out to look for more work I figured spending a few days in a big town, might be interesting having never done it before. I found a nice spot with rooms called the Palmer House. Sitting in the lobby having dinner there was a bit of a squabble break out over a card game. Not wanting to see such a nice place get broke up I stepped in and put an end to it. Dealing off the bottom of the deck isnt something i'd put up with either had I been playing. The kid didnt put up much of a fight with me and went along peacefully to the jailhouse. Figure he knew he was better off there than in a pine box. When I got back to the Palmer House the old timer that had been sitting next to bar introduced himself as Allan and offered me a job with his Pinkerton Detective Agency. Well i've been drawing a monthly pay plus expenses riding shotgun on the CH&D Railway for a while now. 

cowboy87.jpg

cowboyred.jpg

Edited by Turkey Flats Jack
  • Like 13

Y'all might keep in mind that Amber Oakley's first post requesting pictures also asked for the following info:

SASS Alias:

SASS #:

Where you are from:

How long you’ve been Cowboy Action Shooting:

• Like 2

SASS Alias: Buck Henson and son, Buster Henson

SASS# 107777 & 107778

Joined back in September 2018

73262099-FA17-481B-A216-9C326D6EF432.jpeg

Edited by Buck Henson
  • Like 10

Hey......... there sah Canuck in here havin problems with his “insufficient details”.....Lord only knows.

Anybody any good at cumputeren thet can help him?

My grandpappy was from Calgary, was always a tad sloooow. Something about the minus 60 winters and the brain.... Dont seem to recall...... Anyhoo! Im gled its dont run in thisin here family! No sir! I was 15th in my career math class! Never passed alegbra, them idgits mixed up them thar alphabet letters into them numericals! Like soup! Damdest thang yer ever tah see!

I hope et all works out fer yah!

:P

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

SASS Alias: Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE CLdH USMH SSPT

SASS #: 535 Life Member

Where you are from: La Verne, Ca.

How long you’ve been Cowboy Action Shooting: 1984

B.C. in 1874 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform.jpg

Edited by Col. Sir Harry Flashman VC
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

You are clearly a man of letters ... but what do they all mean? 

Do I have to say the whole thing every time I call you to the line? 

V.C. - Victoria Cross

K.C.B. - Knight Commander of the Bath

K.C.I.E. -Knight Commander of the Indian Empire

C.L.dH. - Chevalier Légion d'Honneur

U.S.M.H. - U.S. Medal of Honour

S.A.P.T - San Serfino of Purity & Truth 4th Class

Nope, Colonel Flashman, or Sir Harry, or Flashy works just fine, dependin on how well ya know me. ;-)

• Like 2

Rusty Spittoon, Calamity JoAnne, and Mustang Gregg at HOW many moons ago.

gregg_joanne_russ.jpg

Edited by Mustang Gregg
No pic
  • Like 6

Alias: Sloe Moe

I'm in the NE end of Denver, Aurora, technically.

Never been to a Match, didn't own a SA until a couple months ago. Bought a used NM Blackhawk .357, 6.5" from a guy at work 'cause it was cheap. It was cheap 'cause it came with the 9mm cylinder, no .357 cylinder. So I got a .357 cylinder and a bunch of spare internal parts off Gunbroker and started watching the youtube about SAOs . Musta clicked a SASS video by mistake and here I am. The hard workin' Ruby Ruthless informs me that my SASS packet might arrive tomorrow in the mail. 

I do have a few handguns, all stainless and all .357, except for the Smith 629. Oh, and except for a Baretta 92G Brigadier, 'cause everybody needs  9. 

I do reload a bit, but only ,357 and .44. On a single-stage.

Sand Creek Raiders is my closest SASS club, I hear that they won't have a Match until Springtime. I hear that I'm not to buy any guns until after I've shot somebody else's, but I've pretty much got my heart set on a pair of NM Vaqueros, in stainless, 'cause I just love the stainless, and in .357, ditto sort of. And I really, really want a Win 1897 SG. SASS legal and will work on zombies too. My lever action rifle I'll hafta think on, assume it'll be in .357.  But I am shoppin' for a good hat. A good pair of boots, too.

I'm right-handed, but left-eyed, and grew up shooting a rifle left-handed on account of the eye. Now, I shoot both hands about equally slowly and poorly. So the idea of shooting double duelist does appeal to me some. I will be shooting in one of the Senior categories, depending on how long it takes me to get my stuff together.   

• Like 10

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:30 AM, Col. Sir Harry Flashman VC said:

V.C. - Victoria Cross

K.C.B. - Knight Commander of the Bath

K.C.I.E. -Knight Commander of the Indian Empire

C.L.dH. - Chevalier Légion d'Honneur

U.S.M.H. - U.S. Medal of Honour

S.A.P.T - San Serfino of Purity & Truth 4th Class

Nope, Colonel Flashman, or Sir Harry, or Flashy works just fine, dependin on how well ya know me. ;-)

Well, if ya ever win a buckle, there gonna need to engrave the back too!

• Haha 1

SASS Kicker and Cody  Women's Overall Winter Range in 2016 1199485482_2016SASSKickerandCodyJames.thumb.jpg.0c0dd07b496b9671647a2079eb96a09c.jpg

Cody earlier years with rifle.jpg

SASS Kicker early years with shotgun.JPG

2016 SASS Kicker and Cody James.jpg

• Like 7

Lawdog Dago Dom 105516

Shortcake 105517

Edwards, IL

Started in March 2017

Yes, the one picture is a Shortcake photo-bomb.

Santa gave us a Doc Noper Christmas. We will add those photos in the Spring!

CowboyChristmas20182.jpg

ShortcakeBomb2018.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

SASS Alias: Gunner Gatlin (originally 'Jackson' when I first signed up, lost the alias when I was absent from 2000-2004)

SASS #: 10274

Where you are from: originally Newport Beach California, now in West Michigan

How long you’ve been Cowboy Action Shooting: since 1995 - joined in '96  

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Like 4

Crawdaddy 

SASS# 92287

Green River Gunslingers 

Kentucky

Cowboy shooting since 2011 

DC6BB64E-5643-4C6A-BAB5-5AC6B224928A.thumb.jpeg.00e8b26ce5474a6f4d1d3d50a6915ca3.jpeg

Edited by Crawdaddy
Add state
  • Like 9

Crossfire Brown

SASS# 85220

Miakka Misfits

Myakka, Florida

Joined SASS around 2009 competing mounted for the first year before shooting from the ground.   

BR Last Shoot 3.jpg

5 Crossfire Brown Magazine Florida State 2013 .jpg

Edited by Crossfire Brown
Change year joined
  • Like 10

On 1/17/2019 at 8:15 PM, Crossfire Brown said:

Crossfire Brown

SASS# 85220

Miakka Misfits

Myakka, Florida

Joined SASS around 2009 competing mounted for the first year before shooting from the ground.   

BR Last Shoot 3.jpg

An absolutely fantastic shot of you! Love it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

An absolutely fantastic shot of you! Love it!

Thanks much pard!!!

Crossfire

• 2 weeks later...

Mud Marine

54686 Life

Original Club in Darien, Wisconsin

Retired back to Idaho

Border Marauders, Eastport, ID

Rocky Mountain Rangers, Noxon, MT

Founders Ranch Gold

Hall of Fame, Museum, etc.

TG