SASS Wire Forum

WHATS EVERYONE USE FOR 12 GA. SIDE BY SIDE?

Tricky Rich

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top shooters choices any more run about like this order to preference (best at top):

Ithaca SKB 100 or 200

Browning BSS

Baikal single or double trigger

Miroku (Daly 500s)

Stoeger

And then all the rest used by smaller numbers of top shooters. 

Stoegers have the bad track record of becoming beat up past the point of not worth repairing in about 4 years of hard SASS shooting.  If you are not shooting them a lot and know how to keep the stock tight, they can go several years past that.  But not everybody fits that picture.  If you want to buy a new one every 4 years, they can make you happy, too.

Good luck, GJ

TTN hammered double. 

Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme - Double Trigger (current unmodified)

59fb26d9008e4_StoegerCoachGunSupreme-RESIZED.jpg.7020ec35d3d60f2a558d2bc6f886f2ae.jpg

I have a couple of Rossi's a CZ and 2 of Caps lever guns

But my go to gun is a Fox single trigger double with 26 inch tubes

This thing just swings and points right

15 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

An SKB slicked up by Johnny Meadows.  I started with a Stoeger and they do have the advantage of being inexpensive, but in this case, you truly do get what you pay for.  There's simply no comparison.

Exactly this ^

I started with a stodgier, then picked up a SKB 280, will never go back to a stoeger

Stoeger Coach Gun with double triggers. Bought in 1997. Slicked it up myself. Still going strong. To be fair it’s got about 8 or 9 years of use on it. I have never had to repair or replace a part but I did add an Acton lace on butt pad. 

I have also used a KBU Liberty II hammered double - really hard to get parts for as it was the model made in Spain. 

Right now now I am reworking a Stevens 311 H series just because.

The good  old double trigger Stoeger is hard to beat for the money .

Inexpensive & Solid Built will last just about forever .

Rooster .

14 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

The good  old double trigger Stoeger is hard to beat for the money .

Inexpensive & Solid Built will last just about forever .

Rooster .

I had and sold one I bought in 2001. Ran that for years with no problems then sold it and went to 97's. Bought another Stoeger a few years back, and that's the one the frame developed a gap on. The older ones were fine, the newer one not so much. Now I shoot a tank...Baikal's.

Thanks all for the replies.

right now we have a LeFever 12ga. SxS  made in the 1920's

not a display in the Museum shotgun.

I need to have the barrels cut down,and some work done to it.

been looking for a stevens 311....I hear they are good.

this is all new to us (Wife will also be shooting),so all input is greatly appreciated 

1 hour ago, Tricky Rich said:

Thanks all for the replies.

right now we have a LeFever 12ga. SxS  made in the 1920's

not a display in the Museum shotgun.

I need to have the barrels cut down,and some work done to it.

been looking for a stevens 311....I hear they are good.

this is all new to us (Wife will also be shooting),so all input is greatly appreciated 

Skip the Stevens 311 and pick up a Baikal. You will be much happier.

I shot a Stevens 311 for well over a year. I now have a Baikal and an 1887. The 87 is the only shotgun I shoot now. The Baikal I keep as a backup.

The 311 can be made to work but the Baikal is 1000% better for our game and way less expensive than a SKB or BSS

Appalachia Annie and I each have a 12 GA Stoeger SxS 20" barrel Coach shotgun. Both were purchased in 1997 when we first started shooting Cowboy Action. Both have at least 10,000 rounds thru them, since we have shot all over the country, including 14 times at Winter Range. Never had a problem with them. Annie has even bagged a couple of Chukkars and Pheasants with hers on a bird hunting trip. They are not even being close to "worn out" yet. Hooorah!

Seems the Stoegers generate opinions at both extremes.   “Save your money and buy something better, the Stoegers will fall apart after one box of shells” at one end and “My Stoeger has eleventy billion rounds through it with zero issues”at the other end.   I exaggerate for effect before someone takes me too literally, but I haven’t seen such diverse comments about a firearm in quite some time. 

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Seems the Stoegers generate opinions at both extremes.   “Save your money and buy something better, the Stoegers will fall apart after one box of shells” at one end and “My Stoeger has eleventy billion rounds through it with zero issues”at the other end.   I exaggerate for effect before someone takes me too literally, but I haven’t seen such diverse comments about a firearm in quite some time. 

They're not particularly bad guns; it's just that they're not particularly good guns either.  No matter what your hobby or profession is, when you buy entry-level gear, you get what you pay for.  Some of them *will* last forever and some of them won't.

28 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

They're not particularly bad guns; it's just that they're not particularly good guns either.  No matter what your hobby or profession is, when you buy entry-level gear, you get what you pay for.  Some of them *will* last forever and some of them won't.

One basic truth.  Some people can tear up an anvil in plowed ground. 

I worked with a guy that destroyed a pair of boots in 6 months.   You could hear him coming - clunk, clunk, clunk - as he drug his feet. I have wore the same boots for at least 20 years and they are starting to wear thin.

I just dreaded it when our oldes son would help us at the sawmill.  For some odd reason, if it was going to break, it was going to do it when he was using it.  I'd spend more time fixing things he broke than the help he provided.  

Mary has been shooting a Stoeger Uplander for three years now.  Lots of nicks in the buttstock from banging against the hammer on her right pistol but otherwise like brand new. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Start a post on the '92 and see what happens^_^

One reason that Stoeger generates some bad reviews is their ill-thought-out customer support.   A gun that has been modified at all - even an action job by a great gunsmith - will usually not be warranty-honored by Stoeger.  In many cases that have been reported here on the wire over the years, Stoeger has sent back guns to the owner with markings of Unsafe To Use on them, instead of doing what seemed to be a necessary warranty repair.

That in itself can make the gun "unvaluable," not invaluable.

Good luck,Gj

Baikal single trigger, with action work by Johnny Meadows. Before that, a Stoeger single trigger, with action work by Hobble Creek Marshall. 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:59 AM, Sgt. Saywut said:

Like I said in my earlier post, Stoeger's or the older ones were pretty darn good. I bought one in 2001 and shot the heck out of it with no problems. I sold it to finance a 97 and another pistol. After a couple of years I decided to go back to a SxS and bought a new Stoeger.  I put in the lighter lever spring, harden firing pins and a recoil pad. I ran about 2-3 boxes of Winchester AA LR LN shells through it, and it developed a gap between the barrels and frame.

I sent it into Stoeger and they said it couldn't be fixed and sent me a new one. I asked about getting back the parts I had put in the one being replaced and they said we have no idea where the gun is to return them.

I sold the new one with a box of shells run through it and went to Baikal's. ZERO problems with those after using them for 8+ years now. I agree, the older ones were good...the newer ones...no so good.

My Stoger was bought in 2001 and still works fine. I've kept it after going through about 6 other SXS's. Every so often I'll decide to go from a 97 to a SXS, and then crash & burn for a while until going back to the 97. Cannot keep two shells in sync when loading it; Duh! Never had an SKB and managed to pass one up a while back for $700; another Duh! 

Church Key

I am back to my 10 year old Stoeger.   Has a great action job and the chambers were done years go by Sheriff Bill in Arizona. They are finished like mirrors and the shells just fall in.  I gave it up for an SKB and after almost two years of trying to shoot the SKB I it sold it last month at the Senior Games.  The problem was for me that the barrels were further apart than the Stoeger and I could not get on to slaming the two shells in...one always missed and went off to the side.  In Arizona you aint sh-t if you dont shoot an SKB...guess I just aint sh-t

Stoeger (2), TTN (2) or an old Riverside when I feel the need to get back my beginnings... 

Archived