SASS Wire Forum

Let's expand "So, I was asked -" to include all brands and rifle/pistol and shotgun

Too Tall Bob

To expand on this interesting (to me anyway) reparte' to who uses what brand press and reasons why one versus another. If you have already responded, let's give new folks a chance to comment and to help maintain the clarity of the results so far. After a month or so, I will publish the results and comments (no names attached) as are applicable. No - walls of grinders don't count - sorry!

Thanks

Too Tall Bob

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say between 50-75%. Bunch can't afford then, several don't reload at all, some use lee, while some use rcbs and hornady presses and other the other presses. I would say that Dillon would be the largest single press maker but the multitude of other presses still count for a lot of presses.

My self I rank presses in the following order for quality

Dillon

RCBS, Hornady

A few of the special accuracy presses

And at the bottom Lee who make an every level press price and quality wise

This is for the pistol presses

Rifle preeses are a whole different animal.

Shotgun

I rate Dillon and MEC about equal the each have there pluses and minuses

Lee again is a bargin basement shotgun press.

There are some really expensive shotgun presses or reloaders that only the top trap and skeet use where they depend on a consistent reload so they can keep their perfect scores and ratings.

The Dillon presses are for the action competive shooters who require consisant Quanity ammo

Lee presses are for the bottom line entry shooter who rather reload than but factory ammo for some reason, they are cheap, the want a special load but they don't need the best of the best.

MEC and others like it are for the weekly skeet and trap shooters who need consistent ammo to keep their 24 or 25 round hit average.

So while I prefer certin presses and others may use ones that I have and found lacking. My first press was a used RCBS Rock Chucker I loaded maybe 25-100 rounds at a time hand measuring the powder. Then for Christmas that year my dad sent me a lee three hole turret. I thought I was in heaven of ver the rcbs press. Touch the brass three pulls of the hammer the loaded round was completed but it has it's share of short falls, the first and major one was the priming system. Pick up a primer and insert it in the primer tool deprive and size the case on the upstroke of the ram, on the down stroke push the primer tool under the case and seat it pushing the handle toward the press. Watch out I got my fingers a time or to, the prime could flip if you bump the tool plus it's manual feed one at a time. Then I got a lee hand primer that worked well, I got the universal decamping die put it on the old rcbs learned to decap after cleaning the brass because if done prior medis would get in the primer pocket and or flash hole making hard to prime the brass. So now I would run my brass through the cleaner, decap it primer it on the lee hand primer. Now to the lee turret insert brass in first station with the decap ping pin removed from the die, so it only sizes the brass next station you bell the case and drop the powder it was noise when l got a lee auto powder measure which I still use with my Dillon press. Rotate to the third and last station set a bullet on the case and raise the ram to seat the bullet. Later they came out with an auto index system which moved the case on the down stroke of the ram. Then later they came out with the four die sets and a four station auto index turret press and an upgrade kit for the three station to make it a four station. Still hand priming for decades. Then after I got in to CAS they came out with a system to feed primers based on the hand primer all out of plastic if it worked it slowed things down. About that time I found a deal on a used Dillon and knowing their warranty I got it. I felt that the Dillon 550 was a much better reloading system than my old lee. I used the lee for rifle but then I got into bp and brass shotshells so I learned that the newer rcbs rock Chucker II was able to size and roll crimp them. I found a used rcbs rc2 for sale got it ordered the rcbs cowboy 12 guage shotshell kit. I use the rcbs press for rifle reloads and the brass shot shells. I use the Dillon for my pistol caliber reloads and the MEC 6oo or 550 for plastic shotshells both bp and smokeless. I'm not sure if I'll ever get the two other dillons the 900 and 1050. I might get a 650 if I ever start shooting more. I get all the bells and whistles with it also plus try the bullet feed mod also so it is perty much fill all the hoppers feed tubes then run it until it needs feeding again. I doubt I'll get a case feeder for the 550 since the press wasn't designed for it unlike the 650. I try to load 1 k rounds at a sitting. I've more than enough primer pickup tubes for that so I pour the bullets on the bullet tray feed the primer system, top off the powder measure and reinstall the low powder alarm same with the low primer alarm, fill the case bin sit down and pull the handle like a slot junky trying to win the bank. It's nice picking the brass up once setting it in station one pull the handle raising the ram sizing the brass, decap ping the brass then on the downstroke of the ram the primer is seated rotate the shell plate put anoughter piece of brass in station one the pull the handle again station one does it thing again, at station two the case is belled and a powder charge is dropped return the handle to the upright position rotate the shell plate again, insert brass, and pull the handle again station one and two do their things station three you set a bullet on the case before pulling the handle all the way down. Station three seats the bullet to the correct position, and if set correctly the di crimps the case return handle add another piece of brass, bullet and pull the handle after rotating the shell plate again. Station four performs a factory crimp to the round plus all the othe stations doing there things. Return the handle, rotate the shell plate, add brass and bullet . When you rotated the shell plate this time the cartridge in station four is pushed out in a holding bin. After filling each station one at a time the machine starts producing one completed cartridge of every pull of the handle as long as you add the components as we did here. With my old lee turret press I got one loaded cartridge for every four pulls of the handle if I deprive and prime using the turret press as I load the brass more if I used the universal decap ping die and hand primed them. That still better than a single stage where you do everything in sets you will size decap and prime x pieces of brass then change the machine for the powder die the you bell and drop powder in those same pieces of brass before changing again and again.

I refer the Dillon for loading my pistol rounds because it is the sets system to accuractly load a high volume of rounds . Now rifle reloading is more preside when dropping powder and they tend to group bullets by weight with in the type that way they get more consistant results from the brass. And a single stage is good for that but if your shooting 3gun where accuracy is second to volume then back to the 550 or better Dillion presses. Rcbs make a quality single stage press that is worth the price they go for Lee IMO are the entry level presses in both rifle/pistol and shotgun. They're not exspensive at all. But you get what you pay for they have replace many of the metal parts with less inferior metal or plastic to save money for them. When those parts break out of warranty you have to pay for them some of lees items used to have a lifetime warranty but that change in the mid 2000s. They went to a one year warranty.

And that's for the original owner iirc. Now Dillon has a lifetime warranty and it's the lifetime of the machine and when they can no longer repair it they will replace it and the warranty continues.

I prefer lee dies in most cases over rcbs and Dillion. Rcbs has a few cowboy dies that lee doesn't and those are the exception but I prefer the Dillion press and the various systems over the lee press and it's systems. Again I do you the lee hand primer to reseat rounds or to prime rounds that were not primed for what ever reason.

I would like to hear why other use the press(es)they use and why don't use others that are popular. Especially like to hear about the turret addon for the rock Chucker. Not to hijack the thread but it follows the op question in a way by explain what press you do use and why. I'm sure there will be plenty of 550 and 650 fans plus several lee fans because cost and the in betweeners who use hornady and rcbs and the others is where I feel well get the most information out of.

Not all CAS even reload.

But, of those that do reload, my guess is that a Dillon occupies a spot on the reloading bench of atleast 75% of those who do reload.

And some of those Pards have more than one Dillon.

I use the SDB.

And I also use a RCBS 'O' press that is probably 35 years old and still functions perfect.

..........Widder

You fellows will laugh but I load on a 20 year old Lee turret press. I bought it new and keep telling myself I'll upgrade to something else if it ever breaks or wears out. I have no idea how many tens of thousands of rounds of various calibers I've loaded on that thing and it keeps right on working.

With the exception of .22 rimfire, 30-06 and a handfull of 9mm and 45acp self defense rounds, every cartridge round I've fired in the past 20 years has been loaded on that press. I isn't fancy or pretty (neither am I) but it's worked well for me over the years and as long as it keeps cranking out loaded rounds, I'm O using it.

A Dillon or Hornady LnL would be nice to have and that's probably where I'l go if the old Lee ever bites the dust.

GS

I started with Lee back in '73, been using them ever since. I do have a couple of RCBS die sets though. Do I believe Lee is the best reloading equipment out there? Absolutely not. But they work for my needs. Some folks wont drive anything but a Cadillac or Lincoln, I've been happy with Chevrolets all my life.

I make up for some of those that don't reload. 2 650's, 1 550 and a 900. Others: Hornady turret and single stage RCBS.

I don't enjoy reloading so I want the fastest press that I can find.

Johnny M.

I have a single stage lee for odd stuff and rifle. Works great.

I started with a loadmaster - for cost reasons. If you want to reload, save money and time isn't an issue it works fine. Time is sucked up with primer issues and adjusting. I got all set up to load from nothing for about $350.

I moved to a dillon 650 w/ casefeeder, 2 calibers, excluding dies and scals..$1150. So yeah, its a whole lot more money.

The ammo isn't any more accurate or reliable (other than primers go in properly all the time). It does produce more rounds per hour and is less finicky, but alas, not perfect either. With 9mm I don't think I've gotten 500 rounds without a stoppage of some kind (usually upside down case or other case feed issue. I think I got the ejector wire working finally but can't go too fast or cases jam against it). And of course got powder bouncing out of the cases requiring freqent cleaning. 38s load very well though.

Dillon all the way. sent it back a few years ago. they completely cleaned and restored all worn parts. this 550 has turned out thousands and thousands of rounds. got it in the mid 80's while stationed in Hawaii.

I load 9mm,38,45acp,45lc,38cass,and 45/70

great machine easy to operate one of these day I am going to upgrade and get the strong mount.

I started with a Lee 1000 when I was shooting Bullseye, didn't like it, tried a Dillon 550....great tool. After a couple of years I tried a Lee Load Master and had nothing but trouble, actually threw it in the dumpster. Next I splurged on a Dillon 650 with all the goodies. That was a very good press but now I'm back to a Dillon 550. Simple, reliable, fast. Go Dillon.

I too believe the Dillion is probably the best, with the 650 being the best balance if you add the brass feeder. So figure about $900 +

Once again, as a reminder, Lee significantly improved their priming system for the Loadmaster and even their turret presses just a few years ago. So for about 1/3 the price, you can have a viable alternative to the 650. And for time, this rig would equal or beat the Dillion 550.

And, yes, the Dillion can have primer feed issues as well. Now at about the same rate as the Lee Load Master.

But I guess you can load faster with the Dillon, once you have the cases loaded, primer tubes full and bullets ready. I don't rush, but load between 300 and 400 loads in an hour with my Lee. If I ran at speed, I could maybe do over 500, but I don't try and get tired of it before then.

Another difference is that you need to clean the Lee more often. I generally do a 5 minute clean every 750 to 1000 rounds.

Well, I'm from the maroon crowd, Hornady Lock N Load AP :)All the features of a 650 for the price of a 550, and quick change dies for different calibers. I started out on a Lee Clasic Turret, good little press if you're on a tight budget. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I tried to buy a Dillion about 18 months ago, but couldn't find one at any price. I picked up a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP. After some teething problems it has worked great. It has a few advantages over the Dillon in that you can quickly swap dies, but it needs to be kept clean and can get a little out of sorts if you load lots at a time like I do. I still have a Lee Turret press I use for some things. If I replace the Lee it will probably be with another Hornady. That way I can swap components.

I tried to buy a Dillion about 18 months ago, but couldn't find one at any price. I picked up a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP. After some teething problems it has worked great. It has a few advantages over the Dillon in that you can quickly swap dies, but it needs to be kept clean and can get a little out of sorts if you load lots at a time like I do. I still have a Lee Turret press I use for some things. If I replace the Lee it will probably be with another Hornady. That way I can swap components.

You can swap tool heads(what holds the dies)in about 3 seconds on a 550. Pull 2 pins is all.

LG

In 1978, I started reloading with an RCBS press. I've always been happy with RCBS.

What is this Dillon thing anyway? I hadn't heard of it until I read about it on the SASS forums this year. But then I hadn't heard of SASS until this year either.

Maybe I should get out more. Even if I do, I won't be changing from RCBS.

I use two Lee single-stage presses, a Lee Load-all and a Lee hand-press for depriming (and inspecting) and charging/seating/crimping test rounds at the range. I load about 125 rounds per hour of straight wall and 100 rounds per hour of .32WCF or .38WCF. Never had a squib, double-charge or reversed primer since 1986 and many years. I rather spend time reloading than watching TV or playing on this here internet, so I do no see the benefit of speeding up the process.

When I was taught how to do cartridge reloading - I was taught on a Lee.

So I bought a Lee Pro 1000

My Lee is still producing quality rounds and doing so without too many headaches.

I have always said when the Lee gives up - I will probably buy a Dillon

(650 or 1050. No way I could justify going from an auto advance cheap press to a manual advance higher priced press)

But until the day that my Lee expires - My loading is satisfied with a Red press.

If you open this up past just CAS shooters, since I am new to SASS... lots of us.

I have a dillon XL650 and complete conversion kits/heads/loaded with dies and even pre-setup with powder funnels for .44 mag .357 mag and .40 S&W. Their quick changing makes it very easy to use, so I spend more time loading, less time setting it up. My wife is a .357 fiend and I couldn't keep her in ammo any other way. I also have the case feeder and it really does help, and I use the powder alarms too - I'm a big believer in the 650 system. But I'm in Phoenix and with them being right up the road, it'd be crazy to not use something from Dillon.

For what it's worth, I've found that even with a multi-stage press it helps to have a single press on the bench too.

If you shoot a lot a Dillion is a good, if pricey, investment. I do not, so I load on a Lee Turret. I sincerely doubt that 90% of SASS shooters use Dillions.

Hornady Lock and Load AP for pistol rounds

A Hornady 366 for my cowboy shotgun loads

A MEC 600 for my shotgun hunting loads

A Herters single stage ALL STEEL C frame press for rifle reloads. (George said it was the best)

I have a Lee Load All for specialty shotgun loads. (Glitter rounds for Lady Glitter to shoot)

I have a Lee Pro 1000 in the attic as backup in case I ever need it again (Used it for 4 years to crank out about 500 - 1000 rounds a month)

O K, here goes. Set up and using:

3 Dillon 550's

1 Dillon Square Deal

3 RCBS Rockchucker's (single stage)

2 Pacific Multi power's (single stage)

1 Ponsness Warren 800 12 ga.

1 Pacific 360 12 ga. (progressive)

1 Lee 12 ga. load all (for load development)

O K, here goes. Set up and using:

3 Dillon 550's

1 Dillon Square Deal

3 RCBS Rockchucker's (single stage)

2 Pacific Multi power's (single stage)

1 Ponsness Warren 800 12 ga.

1 Pacific 360 12 ga. (progressive)

1 Lee 12 ga. load all (for load development)

So....do you load for a lot of people or are you an ammo manufacturer? That's a lot of presses. Great collection that's for sure!!

I use a Dillon 650 mainly but have a Lee Turret and also a Lee single stage press. I have a Mec 9000 and a Mec Jr for shotshell reloading....the 9000 is sitting in the corner with a cover over it. I got it for a really good price but just don't shoot enough shotshells to warrant setting it all up and running a bunch through it. I like to reload so I don't have a problem spending time down in my reloading area.

XL650, conversion kits for .38/.357mag, .45Colt & 44mag,

Frenchy

Dillon 650 for 44-40, 45Colt, 38/357, and 357 Sig.

RCBS turret press for 38-55, 40-65, 45-70, 7mm-08, .243, 338 win mag.

MEC Grabber for 16 gauge.

Actually, I think 75% might be a tad high... my guess would be between 50 & 60%, followed closely by Lee and then the rest.

Archived