SASS Wire Forum

Let's expand "So, I was asked -" to include all brands and rifle/pistol and shotgun

Too Tall Bob

So....do you load for a lot of people or are you an ammo manufacturer? That's a lot of presses. Great collection that's for sure!!

I use a Dillon 650 mainly but have a Lee Turret and also a Lee single stage press. I have a Mec 9000 and a Mec Jr for shotshell reloading....the 9000 is sitting in the corner with a cover over it. I got it for a really good price but just don't shoot enough shotshells to warrant setting it all up and running a bunch through it. I like to reload so I don't have a problem spending time down in my reloading area.

I don't reload for any one.

I just don't like changing over for different calibers :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see if we can get some more to chime in. Usage is all over the map - not at all what I expected. If I can get a couple hundred responses I will share the results. Learning experience for me.

Lee Loadmaster. Took me a 1000 rounds or so to get to where I had it set up correctly. Now I just try to keep it clean.

1) Universal deprimer

2) size, prime

3) bell, powder

4) seat bullet

5) Lee factory crimp

I can load 200 in less than an hour. For me, it's not about seeing how many raonds I can crank out in an hour.

I was using a Lee Loadall for 12g. Worked fine, but I recently upgraded to a MEC Sizemaster.

Well out of those that responded what's was the per entangle using a Dillon, MEC, P&S, lee, rcbs, hornady and other. If a shooter use more that one type put them in each category like myself I could be in each of the Dillon, MEC, rcbs categories. I use lee die and a few other things but the question was presses. I think I still have a lee hand press somewhere but I never used it as I recall so I can't be put in the lee category. Now go tally it up!

Well out of those that responded what's was the per entangle using a Dillon, MEC, P&S, lee, rcbs, hornady and other. If a shooter use more that one type put them in each category like myself I could be in each of the Dillon, MEC, rcbs categories. I use lee die and a few other things but the question was presses. I think I still have a lee hand press somewhere but I never used it as I recall so I can't be put in the lee category. Now go tally it up!

What do you mean by 'entangle'?

I started reload'n in 1967, still have the iron RCBS JR' press.

Bought a 550 in 1987 when I started shoot'n IPSC. Still run'n it after a total rebuild by Dillon, about 8 years ago.

IMO-The 550 is the KISS of presses in the progressive press world, and very easy to maintain.

LG

I've got two 550's on my bench.

Plus -

1 Rockchucker

1 Ammomaster

1 Lee Reloader Press

2 MEC Jr's

6 Lee Load Alls

and

3 Lyman 450 Lubrisizers

!960's -Lyman 310, then Lyman Spar-T, Mec 250

2004 Lee Single station, Lee Load-All, Lyman 450 lubesizer set up in .45

2008 Lee Classic Turret, used Mec 600 Jr., Lyman 450 lubesizer set up in .38

I have hand primed since day 1. It works for me.

What do you mean by 'entangle'?

I started reload'n in 1967, still have the iron RCBS JR' press.

Bought a 550 in 1987 when I started shoot'n IPSC. Still run'n it after a total rebuild by Dillon, about 8 years ago.

IMO-The 550 is the KISS of presses in the progressive press world, and very easy to maintain.

LG

Dang spell check on the iPad.

I think it was supposed to be percentage iirc

Basically out of the responses what prevent use Dillon, lee, MEC etc. so add the number of each press used divided by the number of unique shooters. So let's say there is 30 shooter responding out of that 15 are using Dillon, 10 using lee, 17 use MEC etc

The results would be Dillon 50%, lee 33.3%, MEC 56.7% etc. I doubt that this sample will represent those of sass as a whole but it will give us the idea of those that responded.

Dang spell check on the iPad.

I think it was supposed to be percentage iirc

Basically out of the responses what prevent use Dillon, lee, MEC etc. so add the number of each press used divided by the number of unique shooters. So let's say there is 30 shooter responding out of that 15 are using Dillon, 10 using lee, 17 use MEC etc

The results would be Dillon 50%, lee 33.3%, MEC 56.7% etc. I doubt that this sample will represent those of sass as a whole but it will give us the idea of those that responded.

by that math you are already up to 140% :D:) of shooters/reloaders

how about if someone has 2 or more presses that would equal 2 or more persons who reload and that would give you more accurate percentages

shooter a = 1 mec, 1 Dillon

shooter b = 1 rcbs, 1 Dillon

shooter c = 1 lee, 1 hornady, 1 Dillon

total = 7 presses in the sample -- 42.8% Dillon, 14.2% mec, 14.2% rcbs, 14.2% lee, 14.2% hornady --- total = 100% after rounding corrections

Just a thought

regards

Gateway Kid

You can swap tool heads(what holds the dies)in about 3 seconds on a 550. Pull 2 pins is all.

Yes,, but Dillon toolheads are more expensive than a set of L&L collets, and you don't need a place to store the entire toolhead with the L&L. With the L&L you pop the dies out of the press, complete with their collets, and store them in the regular die boxes.

In case you haven't guessed, I have two Hornady L&L AP presses. I got my first one when I realized that it had the same features; five stations and automatic indexing, for about $100 less than the Dillon 650. Liked my first one so much I bought a second a few years later. Still have my little Lyman Spartan single stage press, and I load all my cowboy shotgun ammo on a MEC Jr.

RCBS Pro 2000 for my high volume stuff (this is an underrated press!). I use several Lee Auto disk for powder measures mounted on the die heads on the RCBS.

Lee Classic turret for low volume

Lee single stage for experiments

MEC 9000 progressive for 12 gauge

MEC Sizemaster (with adjustable charge bar) for low volume 12 gauge

MEC Sizemaster for ,410

Four die heads set up with Lee dies for the RCBS Pro 2000. Another 20 (mostly Lee) die sets mounted on Lee turrets for the Lee Classic.

Laz

Well as long as it is for educational purposes, "Bullet Boy" has three 650s. He seems to be a tool magnet as is evidenced by his having a "wall of grinders."

In defense of Bullet Boy, I have 6 grinders/buffers. They are all set up for different things Like I have 3 different buffing set ups one with just wire wheels and 2 for grinding with different type wheels

For SG ammo I use a Mec 600jr I bought in 1976.

LG

I have an old Texen that I bought used off of ebay for $25 10 years ago that works for all my needs

In defense of Bullet Boy, I have 6 grinders/buffers. They are all set up for different things Like I have 3 different buffing set ups one with just wire wheels and 2 for grinding with different type wheels

I have an old Texen that I bought used off of ebay for $25 10 years ago that works for all my needs

IIRC-That's about what I paid for the Mec-NEW. :lol:

LG

LOL! The "wall of grinders" also has six.

How many shooters use Dillon?

There... The ultimate answer.

Nothing further is required.

You might be right - maybe

TTB

So 42 of the users that posted use Dillon , how many use lee, rcbs, hornady, etc and how many shooter responded total? That way we would know the percentage of the sample. We could get the same info for all the presses. I were just talking those that own the press it doesn't account for the number of presses of each brand and shooter has. Let this go for a monthh let's say take the numbers Do the math and write an article for the cowboy chronical I think it would be a good article if writtenen in a way to point out of the sample taken for x period of time we got these responses that gave us the data to write this article for your information. And maybe include a few comments with the posters agreement that show the good and bad. Of each press and give an example where the person with the most press hadn't ammouny of a y amount of b etc, to show how many presses some have and the get the guy who has two or three presses to do it all like a Dillon for pistol and rifle and a MEC for shotgun and can produce the same ammo as the one with ten presses then do something on loading bp brass shells etc.

I guess 79.67% use Dillion.

I have 2 550Bs. One set for large primer one for small.

Load 45 colt with smokeless and BP, 45 ACP, 38 and 9mm

Lee load all for the Shot shells.

Metallic cartridges all on a Hornady LNL progressive, everything just feels right, from the powder measure to caliber changes. Right now I even do my 25-06 loads on it, though I manually weigh powder for precision. At some point I might add a Redding Big Boss II for a single stage, though I find the results are great even for rifle on the LNL - I'm picky cause I want .5 MOA loads and it does the trick. Mostly the dies are RCBS or Hornady, though I do use a Redding competition bullet seating die for rifle.

Pistol calibers I just crank out, though I have not added a case feeder or bullet feeder yet.

Shotgun in 12, 20 and 28 gauges all done on MEC Grabbers. My concession to Dillon is a vibratory case cleaner / media separator. Forster for case trimming.

Yes,, but Dillon toolheads are more expensive than a set of L&L collets, and you don't need a place to store the entire toolhead with the L&L. With the L&L you pop the dies out of the press, complete with their collets, and store them in the regular die boxes.

In case you haven't guessed, I have two Hornady L&L AP presses. I got my first one when I realized that it had the same features; five stations and automatic indexing, for about $100 less than the Dillon 650. Liked my first one so much I bought a second a few years later. Still have my little Lyman Spartan single stage press, and I load all my cowboy shotgun ammo on a MEC Jr.

GI 50 cal ammo cans, work very well for storing 6 or more 550 toolheads.

Still faster to change over-

LG

1-Dillon 550

1-RCBS Rockchucker

1- Lyman T-Mag ll Turret Press

1- Lee Challenger Press

1- Lee Reloader Press

1- Lee Hand Press

35+ Die Sets, predominantly RCBS & Hornady, some Redding, Lee, and C&H

For shotshells

4- MEC 9000E's W/Automate (12, 20, 28, 410)

5- MEC Sizemasters (12, 16, 20, 28, 410)

RBK

My selection is tailored to my process for reloading. 90% of my loading is 45 Colt for myself and 38 Sp for my wife. I use SDB's for the bulk of the work, but I do not decap, resize or prime on them. That is all done on an RCBS turret with two heads. So my setup looks like this.

RCBS Turret

Head A Lee Dies, including FCD for 32-20 and resize die for 45 Colt

Head B Lee Dies, including FCD for 44SP and resize die for 38 Sp

SDB

Press 1 set up for 38 SP

Press 2 set up for 45 Colt

Rock Chucker

Currently only used for 45-70

RS3

Just because I have it

Shotgun

MEC

Grabber in 12 ga

600 Jr's set up for 20, 12, and 10

I started with Lee back in '73, been using them ever since. I do have a couple of RCBS die sets though. Do I believe Lee is the best reloading equipment out there? Absolutely not. But they work for my needs. Some folks wont drive anything but a Cadillac or Lincoln, I've been happy with Chevrolets all my life.

Man o' Man, Pulp. We are brothers of the soul. 'Cept I started later. Around 1977, I think. I still load on a RCBS Special. Like a Rockchucker but one compound link instead of two. Never saw a need for a progressive press. I love reloading, why would I want to rush a process that I consider a hobby unto itself?

Archived