SASS Wire Forum

Opting out of the banquet dinner

I know this subject was tossed around a few years ago but I wanted check opinions now.

Would you like the option of opting out of a banquet dinner for a reduced overall match cost? For example, if you attend an annual and you have the choice of paying $75 for just the match or $110 which includes a nice catered meal on Saturday night after the main match is over. Let's assume for this discussion that the meal is a very good meal.

I have my opinion so I'm just checking others.

At the Western Regional, competitors are able to sell back their dinner tickets which are resold to folks that decide they want an extra meal. They are typically all resold.

Fillmore

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely would like the option. I could grill one heck of a steak at the campground and still be ahead. Last fall I paid for two dinners at a shoot and they ran out of meat. Several of us didn't even get an apology let alone compensated for it in any way. I'd rather take my chances on my own and pay less.

YES!

Choice is always the best. Forcing anyone to pay for something that they may or may not want is not a good thing. At some matches, the only way you can opt out of the dinner is to not go to the match! Also... I've been to some matches where they get the idea that their BBQ is worth the price of a Steak and Lobster dinner!

PS.. the dinner at the Western Regional is the BEST that I have ever had a ANY cowboy match... and I wouldn't miss it!

Another vote for YES. I hate being forced to pay for a meal I don't want. After shooting all day I want a calm dinner and a drink. I don't want a lot of foolishness and a crappy meal. I am also not in favor of the best door prizes being given away at said dinner. But that is just me and Bea's opinion.

Hi Brother Fillmore,

I always go for the meal, as my trailer kitchen is so tiny and I just don't like cooking at matches. Your meals are spectacular! (As were the ribs at Ft. Miller!)

In your case, wonderful restaurants are nearby too. I'd still opt for the Range dinner as I won't unhook and I don't want to beg for a ride to Morro Bay every night. I ate at the Dockside three times last year. YUMMMMMMMMY! It was worth bumming a ride. Besides, I think Sierra Rider, Bo Bean, Pocket Change, Snakebite... would think I was mad at them if I didn't bum a ride at least once.

That's just what I would choose. I see nothing wrong with allowing folks the choice, if having the dinner adds considerably to the cost.

Regards,

Allie Mo

yes, separate them, if it's the awards banquet, then fine, otherwise, Ide just as soon pick my own meal...

I like the shoots that give you a choice . Even if the dinner is part of the match fee we seldom go . The biggest problem with most dinners is getting everybody fed in a reasonable time . We eat a Very light breakfast and no lunch so we are ready to eat when the last shot goes down range . If the awards are given out during said dinner we just crash after the eating is done . Thanks for asking .

oh, and I don't pay extra for a meal if it's available.....

I enjoy the banquets as a part of the overall event and meeting more shooters. That being said, I like the idea of it being separated. I can still go, just for the extra fee that was normally a part of the match fee. Separating out the banquet from the match fee also might increase attendance at some matches because there may be some people that would like to shoot but that extra $25-35 may make the difference between attending that match (or one more match this year) for that person

I dont mind it....if its a good meal. I enjoy being around the other shooters that Im not possed with and this gives me a good chance to socialize with them.

But sadly, thats not always the case. Several times the meal has not been something that I would eat by my own choice. Other times the meals are just not good.

Yes,I would like the choice.I have had a really nice meal at a shoot or two,but others were not.If it was a choice I would save the money.

It's not just a meal, it's spending time with friends, new and old. It's an excuse to get dressed up in our finest cowboy / cowgirl, gentlemen and Ladies duds. It's living the dream.

so Yes I want the dinner.

Mississippi Kid

I usually head home as soon as the smoke clears on the last stage. Unless the awards are held immediately after the shooting is done.

Staying for dinner is out of the question..... I'll be on my way home.

The same goes for your "lunch included"....... OR ........ Worst of all - Shoot three stages, then a MANDATORY lunch break, and the shoot three more stages......

Meal was part of the cost of the match but when I got up to the front of the line the only thing left was salad and chocolate chip cookies. The cookies were really good but I would have preferred the barbeque.

Never pay if I can avoid it and rarely eat it even if I can't avoid the cost.

There have been VERY FEW that the food was worth it.

I only go because that is when they do the awards and I like

to see who won what.

AND that is when most of the guns and stuff is given away and you

must be present to win. Last one I skipped they called my name for a gun.

But just as soon to have a choice to pay for it or not.

There have been VERY FEW that the food was worth it.

I only go because that is when they do the awards and I like

to see who won what.

AND that is when most of the guns and stuff is given away and you

must be present to win. Last one I skipped they called my name for a gun.

But just as soon to have a choice to pay for it or not.

What Al said! +1

Laz

When I was in CA, the big dinner deal was not part of the awards...awards were done on Sunday...IIRC.

Here in TX, the big dinner deal is on Saturday coupled with the Awards...so it's kinda harder to skip the big dinner deal.

I'm not a big fan of separating...making the big dinner deal optional out in these parts. Pretty soon, we'll have to make a big long menu of events and charge based on the menu items each shooter checks off.

To me...a few extra bucks that goes towards the wonderful big dinner deal is just part of the cost of playing the game.

Cheers!

Phantom

I fully agree with offering the option.

I do, however believe that the additional camaraderie at the dinner is worth it - but the food better be up to snuff! At our annual, we take great pains to ensure that the meal is more than worth the price, and the camaraderie? PRICELESS!

That said, I'll usually sign up the first time I go to an away shoot. If the food sucks, I would not be back the next year, at least for the dinner.

The "must be present to win" stuff is just silly. That pard who may have had to duck out for a real good reason (maybe a kid or a dog got sick, or wife/husband is dead tired), paid the same fees others did. Don't use your prizes as some way to pad your egos about how many folks turned out for a dinner. Unless the caterer is kicking you back money if you get over 200 heads to buy the dinner ticket to attend the prize drawing with a meal attached.

Door prizes, drawn prizes, guns given away - if the entry was free because it was covered by match fees, honor the first ticket drawn, even if you have to line up an extra FFL fee and shipping to send a Sharps to someone 14 states away. Tickets that had to be bought - even more important to award prize to first ticket drawn.

Hmmmmm, finally got that off my chest.

Good luck, GJ

The "must be present to win" stuff is just silly. That pard who may have had to duck out for a real good reason (maybe a kid or a dog got sick, or wife/husband is dead tired), paid the same fees others did. Don't use your prizes as some way to pad your egos about how many folks turned out for a dinner. Unless the caterer is kicking you back money if you get over 200 heads to buy the dinner ticket to attend the prize drawing with a meal attached.

Door prizes, drawn prizes, guns given away - if the entry was free because it was covered by match fees, honor the first ticket drawn, even if you have to line up an extra FFL fee and shipping to send a Sharps to someone 14 states away. Tickets that had to be bought - even more important to award prize to first ticket drawn.

Hmmmmm, finally got that off my chest.

Good luck, GJ

I agree about the not being present to win. Have had to leave other events due to illness, other obligations, ect and really dislike having to choose. Leaves one in a potential no win situation. Sometimes I have had no choice and staying was not an option. Especially if an event runs significantly longer than planned.

I also agree that there is a lot of camaraderie that often occurs at the post event banquets.

In most cases I would gladly pay shipping /FFL fees for a door prize.

We always separated them. Honestly it lets the people that don't want to be there less to gripe about and the people that are there have more fun.....so IMHO its a win win.

First, I have the utmost respect for those that put on matches. Planning dinner for a couple a hundred folks is a chore I'm sure. That said, this year was the first time I missed a banquet at the GA state. I knew well in advance I wouldn't be there, so I would have opted out of the banquet dinner. Doing so within the registration dates would give the planners more, um, planning. And if I do get to show up, I'm happy with what I get.

I ain't skipped the banquet at any match I've ever shot in. If it were an option, I'd still pay and attend. I think it could get VERY difficult to plan for a nice venue and nice meal if you don't know well ahead of time how many will be attending.

I would like the option. And, if a door prize winner I'll pay the shipping if i'm noit there. I know lots of folks enjoy dressing to the nines and going to the banquets. I'm not really one of them!

Also......if you are a banquet director, please have an MC that is capable of moving things along, and please keep them short! I know lots of folks have things they would like to say, and people to thank, but I've been to banquets (not just CAS ) that went on forever! I really like the way they did it at Comancheria Days, they did the side match awards on Friday night, with a nice taco dinner under the trees. then the main banquet Saturday night. that way, neither one was uncomfortably long.

I ain't skipped the banquet at any match I've ever shot in. If it were an option, I'd still pay and attend. I think it could get VERY difficult to plan for a nice venue and nice meal if you don't know well ahead of time how many will be attending.

+1

The venue cost is usually hinged on the number of meals.

The place where the Eldorado Cowboys have our awards banquet must be booked NINE months in advance of the event.

Regardless of the turnout for our State Championship - we have to guarantee minimums, so we already know how many meals we are paying for.

We already run our events as close to the bone as possible (and we already lose money on this annual), so having to guarantee minimums on the front end while allowing an opt out on the back end would expose my club to financial risk that our bank account could not endure.

(our venue and food costs are nearly $10,000 for the Saturday night banquet)

In our situation, offering an opt out would signal the death knell for the awards banquet.

I like the idea of an opt-out for the dinner, but completely understand if it can't be done for financial reasons. Things that I consider in attending:

- Is it an Awards Banquet? I MUCH prefer it to be the Awards Banquet. Giving out awards on a Sunday is too late. I have to get on the road early Sunday. And IF....BIG IF....I ever win something, I'd like to be there.

- The dinner has GOT to be hot!!!! Way too many require long lines and that makes food cold. And if the dinner costs $25+ it has to be a $25+ value. And enough for everyone.

- And if an Award Banquet, the emcee has to be good, clear, fast, and does not include "stories" during the presentations.

- Dancing need not be a part of it. I know....the ladies like it, but after being on my feet all day, I just want to have pleasant conversation with some of those I didn't shoot with, or that I just met and want to get to know better.

And yes......the food at the Western Regional last year was worth it! Though I would really like to see the awards given out that night. Just sayin'.

EC

Archived