SASS Wire Forum

1911s Wild Bunch

Col Del Rio

Greetings,

I'd like to expand into Wild Bunch shooting. What are the preferred makes of 1911s? Also is there anything else I should know about (beyond the SASS book)?

Col Del Rio

I prefer inexpensive (I have 2 kids in college)

I'll second the Springfield Armory. If you can, see if you can find their basic "GI" model. It has the straight slide grooves.

Only mods on mine are a Colt WWII wide spur hammer, flat mainspring housing and WWII keyes grips.

I really like mine.

:)

I don't shoot wild bunch but I carry a Springfield Armory 1911 on duty and have put 1000s and 1000s of rounds through it at the range and a few not at the range and never had one problem

I'll endorse my Springfield Mil - spec too. I absolutely love it. Get the Wolfe spring kit for it. After changing the springs, shoot 50 to 100 rounds of factory ammo thru it and you are ready to go. I plan to get the loaded Springfield 1911 someday for the modern class.

Col, have you considered your intended WB shooting category? If modern, Kimber will be hard to beat for quality and cost. Surely were a bunch of Kimbers at Winter Range. Sagerider

Col, just visited the SASS Wild Bunch Forum and found your question (asked by another shooter) with multiple responses. You should visit the WB site and forum. I did notice one of the first responses was the question regarding your intended category. Sagerider

Greetings,

I'd like to expand into Wild Bunch shooting. What are the preferred makes of 1911s? Also is there anything else I should know about (beyond the SASS book)?

Col Del Rio

I prefer inexpensive (I have 2 kids in college)

Hi Col Del Rio,

WBAS has their own Website http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/ and booklets http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/Wild_Bunch_Handbook_2013-6_3.pdf. The rules do differ from SASS's.

Regards,

Allie Mo

A question similar to the Ford or Chevy debates of the 50's & 60's.

I like the pre-lock Springfields, don't care for the newer lock models. That said, I believe the Ruger's have the best out-of-the-box $ value. However they can only be used in WB Modern.

An excellent gun for Traditional is the Norinco; can only get them used.

I have two High Standard 1911 parkerized pistols, I paid $300 each....Never had a jam, fail to feed fail to eject or fail to fire. Run quality lead reloads and don't skimp on the magazines. I am issued a Kimber at work but I prefer my Colt Lightweight Commander. Just bought a Ruger 1911 from my favorite gundealer....(Me) . All of them should work great as long as you do your part.

Howdy,

Just last night someone messed with my car, set off the alarm and I only wanted

one thing, my Springfield Armory 1911. And a flashlight.

Bad guy was long gone.

The only bad thing about em is I never want to sell mine.

Best

CR

Howdy,

Just last night someone messed with my car, set off the alarm and I only wanted

one thing, my Springfield Armory 1911. And a flashlight.

Bad guy was long gone.

The only bad thing about em is I never want to sell mine.

Best

CR

That's two things. lol

+1 on Colts as long as they aren't 80 series. Those are a real bugger to get a decent trigger pull. Have had all of the previously mentioned 1911's except the Norinco. All of them have worked pretty darn good reliable wise. The other thing in favor of the Colt, the more you shoot em, the more that you get your moneys worth out of em, imho.

I have three Rock Island 1911s which I used when I first started Wild Bunch. They tend to have feeding issues after running several rounds through. I had the chamber bored, the ramps polished, etc. to get them to run reliably.

Then Ruger came out with their 1911 and it was more reliable and shoots great, but it is only used in the modern category and I usually shoot Tradional.

Next, I bought a blue Remington and a stainless Remington. They are both great shooters.

I just had to have a stainless Springfield Armory Mil-Spec Model which I plan to shoot this season.

LR

Another vote for the Springfield 1911 Mil-spec, great gun. Rems are good too and ya just can't beat a Colt. ;)

I have a Remington and a S&W. Both out of the box were superb shooters. The Remington can be used in Traditional or Modern. The S&W is strictly a Modern gun.

My Ithaca 1911-A1 worked flawlessly for 17+ years as a "Traditional" WB firearm, CHL and PDW before I semi-retired it.

(actually been packing it off & on since '74)

Not bad for a $75 gun. ^_^

1911%20e2a-M.jpg

Now using a '70 Series Colt/Essex hybrid, with a Cimarron 1911 in reserve for the Grasshopper (should she choose to shoot WB someday)

Don't shoot Wild Bunch, but bought a RIA GI from Bud's for $330. After several hundred rounds of 200 grain LRNFPs, the same bullet I use in my 45 Colts, it has never failed to function or fire.

Best gun for the money I've ever had.

Anyone looking for a "budget" level 1911 would do well to consider Rock Island Arms. Any 1911 can "fail in competition." Most failures are shooter malfunction, magazine, or ammo. Rarely is it the pistol. The 1911 is not a work in progress. It is a known design, and lots of folks produce very good 1911 pistols. If you want to "expand into" WBAS, you don't need to sell the farm to purchase a pistol to play a game with!

FWIW, I have both a RIA and a Kimber. Both work very well, when I use good magazines, and feed them properly made ammo. Still working on that "shooter malfunction" part! :lol:

Tackling the 1911: The Ruger SR1911 Review ... http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/the-ruger-sr1911-review/

Read the detail review and don't look back wondering about other makes - they did a super fine job putting the SR 1911 together! Mine eats H&G-68 SWC's with no hiccups too!

Howdy,

I use a Springfield Mil-Spec for the Traditional category, and LPL uses either her series 70 colt or the Ruger for the Modern Category

Nawlins

John Henry: yes there is, or at least i run it that way. 1916 Colt. No A1.

45Stag.jpgBPWB.jpg

Archived