SASS Wire Forum

1911s Wild Bunch

Col Del Rio

Just buy a Colt dated 1911 thru 1969.

The 70's model had a weird collet/finger barrel bushing that did not last long. I don't know if it had a different barrel or not. It can be changed to the regular style. Colt did make a few late 69 models with the 70's style bushing. They are marked BB at the end of the serial number. I saw one in 1975 and it was expensive even back then.

(The Colt Series 70's) had a weird collet/finger barrel bushing that did not last long. I don't know if it had a different barrel or not. It can be changed to the regular style.

Barrel is same, standard bushing drops right in with just normal amount of fitting. My collet bushing went about 60,000 rounds, then a finger broke off and the gun jammed. Nothing a brass hammer wouldn't fix. Dropped in a Brown pre-fit solid bushing and it's still just as accurate.

The new production run of Series 70 guns is really fine, and has a solid bushing and none of the Series 80 extra parts. Those guns are being made currently, and are a fine value (if not quite as smooth as the ones made back in the early 1970s).

Good luck, GJ

I've owned several 1911s over the years. Two Colts (1991-A1 and a Delta Elite), a Kimber STII, and I currently have an RIA. I can't complain about any of them, other than the fact that I don't own the first three anymore.

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

I'm another one that will recommend the Springfield Mil-Spec. Mine has been a very good shooter.

Go to the Wild Bunch forum, they'll give you plenty of advice.

Col, just visited the SASS Wild Bunch Forum and found your question (asked by another shooter) with multiple responses. You should visit the WB site and forum. I did notice one of the first responses was the question regarding your intended category. Sagerider

Hi Col Del Rio,

WBAS has their own Website http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/ and booklets http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/Wild_Bunch_Handbook_2013-6_3.pdf. The rules do differ from SASS's.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Yep.

Fillmore

Picked up a Rock Island for $325 at a local pawn shop. I shoots very well. We have several cowboys using them in Wild Bunch with no issues at all. I would recommend them to anyone. :)

Cheatin'

I've been using my colt. But have had good luck with my Springfield and ROI. Note, I've had a 1911 guy do a little polishing and trigger work on all 3 of my guns. About $80 cost on each gun. I felt it was good money spent. They all feed all types of ammo.

Regards,

Ringer

I'll take Mary Ann.. oh wait.. what were we talking about? Oh yeah..

Springfield Slim, nice pics of your 1911!

Couple of years ago, I loaded up 4 magazines with 7 rds of 230 gr RN and Pyrodex.

What a hoot! My son and I each took 2 mags and fired one slow and the other fast. Worked perfectly!

We did notice that the slide moved slightly slower than usual, but that was about it. Empty cases extracted and ejected like normal.

Did get a few looks from the shooters that were nearby. lol.

Cleanup was a breeze too! :)

Had three Kimbers, an Armscor imported by Taylors, (same gun as Rock Island), two Series 70 Colts, A Springfield "Loaded" model, and a Springfield mil spec. I like them all. My favorite was my first series 70 (1976 first semi I'd ever bought ). The Armscor was rougher but functioned well. I was really impressed with the Ruger I was able to demo at EOT a couple years back. They loaded an empty case as the third round and it fed just fine. My second Series 70 (made 1979) is more finicky about ammo then my first was. The Springfield "loaded" has been flawless but I can't shoot it in traditional. Jury is still out on my other Springfield as I had a bit of problem with the trigger but it had been modified prior to my purchase. The Kimbers were solid but pricey.

If money were no object and I was going to shoot Modern, I'd probably buy a Les Baer or an Ed Brown. In the 800-1000 range I'd buy the Springfield "loaded" for Modern (and did). If I wanted to spend a bit less money I'd buy the Ruger and feel that I got the best deal I could. If I want a traditional gun, I'd buy a Remington

Archived