SASS Wire Forum

Unappetizing restaurant names...

"Road Kill Cafe", and they had excellent food and beer. Probably the most fun I've ever had in a restaurant! 

• Like 3

They have Road Kill at Texas Roadhouse, it’s ground steak in a delicious gravy with onions and mushrooms! I always get it when I go there! 

• Like 4

Used to have a Mexican joint named el Titanic in Escondido and it had a sinking ship in the sign.

IMG_4956.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have always wanted to open a breakfast place and call it "The Awful Waffle".

But since the last restaurant I invested in was a GIANT pain - I doubt it will ever happen.

• Like 2

Saw a catering truck in Rhode Island decades ago, "Blow Lunch Catering" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

"Hung Lung." A Chinese restaurant here in town with very good food.

Edited by DocWard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

A friend of mine was talking about opening a restaurant. He gave me some ideas for names he had come up with and asked my opinion. 
I told him since it was an American food type restaurant he should pick a name that sounded homey and maybe run by a married couple. I recommended the name:

“Sam & Ella’s”

He liked the name. It took him a few days to see the joke. He didn’t see the humor in it though…

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Back in the '70s, Clint Eastwood had a place in Carmel called "The Hog's Breath Inn".

In a slightly different vein, back in Columbus Ohio there used to be an outfit driving red trucks with "Caution Explosives" signs on them. They supplied popcorn to movie theaters.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

A friend of mine was talking about opening a restaurant. He gave me some ideas for names he had come up with and asked my opinion. 
I told him since it was an American food type restaurant he should pick a name that sounded homey and maybe run by a married couple. I recommended the name:

“Sam & Ella’s”

He liked the name. It took him a few days to see the joke. He didn’t see the humor in it though…

That was the nickname AB and I had for a small mom and pop place in San Antonio when we lived there.

• Like 1

A few towns down from me the local bar was called the Duck Inn, we used to say you duck in and waddle out. which I must confess I did waddle out of there a few times ( mostly on two legs …. Mostly )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Back in the '70s, Clint Eastwood had a place in Carmel called "The Hog's Breath Inn".

In a slightly different vein, back in Columbus Ohio there used to be an outfit driving red trucks with "Caution Explosives" signs on them. They supplied popcorn to movie theaters.

There is a Hogs Breath Saloon in Key West, Florida. Their motto was, or I guess still is, Hogs Breath is better than no breath at all. It's one of those places that the tourists go to have a mediocre meal and a bunch of beer so they can do the Duval crawl.

My ex and I went there back in 1997. She liked it, me...meh.

https://www.hogsbreath.com/keywest/

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

"Road Kill Cafe", and they had excellent food and beer. Probably the most fun I've ever had in a restaurant! 

Was in one in New England when both my sons were young. Waiters were great. Ended up a knock down drag out water fight between my sons and the waiters. My sons lost. They were soaked when we left but had a great time. Talked about it for weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

“Sam & Ella’s”

I may use that on a Model Railroad module I'm starting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I may use that on a Model Railroad module I'm starting.

I would love to see that. :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Was in one in New England when both my sons were young. Waiters were great. Ended up a knock down drag out water fight between my sons and the waiters. My sons lost. They were soaked when we left but had a great time. Talked about it for weeks. 

The one we went to was in Maine. The waiter took our order, from there we were on our to serve ourselves! From drawing our own beer to going to the kitchen to get our food when it was ready! The waiter just gave assistance if someone didn't know how to draw a beer. The whole experience was a riot and the food was excellent. The beer glasses were about 3 feet tall. What they call a yard I guess!

• Like 3

We have a local place run by some Greeks and the food is awesome but the name of the place is Greece Pizza.   I have a T-shirt from Dirty Dicks Crab Shack in North Carolina and as I type this I am wearing a Hogsbreath T-shirt. 

• Haha 1

Here at the Lake of the Ozarks we have a place called "Big Dicks Halfway Inn". It's famous for "Shooting the Minnow". Yes, they put a live minnow in a shot glass with your choice of hooch and you drink it. They also sell a lot of t shirts. 

By the way, the place is the halfway point on the 94 miles of the Lake.

Coyote Kid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

If that's the one up in Seligman, it's a mighty fine place to eat.  I always try to stop there on my way to Las Vegas and back.

19 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

If that's the one up in Seligman, it's a mighty fine place to eat.  I always try to stop there on my way to Las Vegas and back.

The one we went to was in eastern Maine up near Bar Harbor. 

Going down I-75 near Macon, Ga. I was behind a convertible Cadillac with a beautiful blonde driving alone.   As I got closer to pass her, saw her bumper sticker that said "I caught the crabs at Dirty Nellie's"........Sure was a gross let-down to see her bragging about it.....then I learned Dirty Nellie's was a seafood restaurant where you selected your own crablegs.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

That was actually a half decent place to eat.

It is local and always busy, and Fudruckers is right down the street. Nobody around here seems to pronounce Fudruckers phonetically.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

maxresdefault.jpg

That looks like the one in Pinellas Park, Fl. at the intersection of 49th and US 19.

Ate there once...meh. Definitely not the best wings USA, but then...neither does Hooters and they started in Clearwater on Gulf to Bay Blvd back in the 80"s. 

If it's the same one, what they do have is "events"...car shows, bike nights, etc.

Overall, not a bad place.

Edited by Cypress Sun

The name "SAM & ELLA'S CAFE" always made me chuckle

• Like 1

I ate at a place in Florida called the "Barking Crab"...had my first, but definitely not my last Grouper sandwich. The sandwich was delicious, and the beerS were FROSTY!

• Like 1

i always liked the movie fried green tomatoes but have had issues with anything that mentions bar-B-que ever since , and ya gotta put a bit of drawl on that 

• Like 1