SASS Wire Forum

S&W Lever rifle?

Interesting:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/sw-model-1854-limited-edition-lever-action-rifle-44-magnum

GG ~ :FlagAm:

**forgive me if already posted

Edited by Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L
  • Thanks 1

Howdy Gunner,

Thanks a lot for the link. As soon as I opened it I threw up on my keyboard. I'm not sure if it was that the gun appeared to be nothing more than a "tricked out" Henry or Ruglin (nothing wrong with them) or the eye watering price. I particularly liked the straight trigger to attract all the gamers who are ready to trade in their short stroked '73s. I predict that all the top tier shooters will be clamoring for these (not).

Just my opinion,

Rev. Chase

• Like 1

More gun manufacturers making lever rifles is a good thing. 

Only holds 9 rounds, and wow that price!

• Like 1

$3499 retail?

Um, no.

Screenshot_20240122-102610_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Dantankerous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope they can get quality control better than their current revolvers.    Seen several disappointing examples lately.      GW

I saw an MSRP of $1279.  The Limited Edition is $3499.  But yes only holds 9 rounds of .44 Mag.  Nice to see other companies putting out products, but at this point, I don't really see is as being a competitor for the 66s and 73s.

Edited by Sarge
grammar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

$3499 retail?

Um, no.

Scroll down and the description has one for $1279, huh!

2 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Scroll down and the description has one for $1279, huh!

Hmmm.

I'll keep my Marlins. ;)

1 minute ago, Dantankerous said:

Hmmm.

I'll keep my Marlins. ;)

Me too!

• Like 1

9 round mag capacity to make sure they dodge current or possible future hi-capacity-mag laws?  

Oh, and the MUST-HAVE threaded barrel for a suppressor.  Gonna be a great Special Ops  gun or a prairie dog sniper.  :lol:

And the $1279 version?  It's stainless with a plastic stock/forearm.   And a couple of M-lok slots in the forearm.  THAT might more sense for throwing in the back of your Soul while off-roading and overlanding.....

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Haha 2

Looks like a cross between a Marlin and a Henry Big Boy to me.   And the price?   No thanks!

Although, it is is the 1854 "Series."   Maybe if there's a variant that has more traditional sights, 10 round capacity, and isn't tricked out with all the "tacticool" stuff it might appeal to SASS shooters if the price was say, $1500 or less.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Smart marketing/something for different generations.

- Black gun, yet retro...marketing to the modern gun crowd.

- Nice wood, retro, big/bad caliber, modified Rifleman type lever...marketing to the traditional gun crowd.

- Big caliber, short/medium range hunting rifle...marketing to the hunting gun crowd.

- .44 Magnum, nuff said...except for the guttural grunting ...marketing to the Tim Taylor gun crowd.

I kind of like it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ain’t purty, is it??

Reckon I’ll hafta’ pass for now.

Maybe if they make it in a ten rounder for .454…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Here is a decent review.  Curious to see his follow up video in about a month.

Neat "modern" levergun. Will be interesting to see if S&W offers a dedicated CAS version. Still, kudos to them for getting this to market.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Ain’t purty, is it??

Reckon I’ll hafta’ pass for now.

Maybe if they make it in a ten rounder for .454…

Would make a really nice truck/tractor/utv gun though. 

Like it a whole lot better than Marlin's current version. That thing is just plain fugly

• Haha 1

Curious how the Volcanic pistol makes a cameo in the first video.  :)

I notice it has an ugly Marlin style cross bolt safety.

Clearly being marketed to hunters and maybe plinkers, but not us.  

That being said, this is the first tacticool lever gun I've seen that's more Marlin based and in a pistol caliber instead of Winchester 94 based and in .30-30.  Maybe S&W figures it'll fill an otherwise empty niche.   Still, based on the caliber, the notion of there being a version that would appeal to Cowboy shooters is an obvious one to think about.  It would be interesting to see what would happen if they came out with a CAS version and see if it would sell better/worse/about the same as the tacticool one.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Looks like another Marlin 336 clone .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The actions and success of Henry, Rossi and now S&W just show that Marlin should have been a profitable success.  It takes to be profitable than a good product.

• Like 1

Nice to see another lever gun in the world of tacticals. Priced a little outta my range though.

Like the "real" Henry being made by Henry Repeating, nice to look at but I'll stick with what I got.

:wub: If only it were available in 45 Colt with a 1 - 16" twist!  Maybe... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dapper Dynamite Dick said:

It is a tad ugly, I'll stick with my Uberti as this rifle is obviously not marketed for the competition crowd.

Agreed. I don’t think the company had CAS in mind at all when they developed it. Nor should they. We’re a drop in the bucket of the present and future arms market. 

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 6

Just back from the SHOT Show.  Looked and felt solid in person, but I don't think it is currently aimed at the cowboy market.  The tupperware stock is geared for practicality, not tradition, and the optional wood stock is too pricey to being chucking about on sketchy range tables.

Glad to see S&W enter the market, though!

Cheers,

FJT

On 1/24/2024 at 3:02 PM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Henry probably made it for them.

Can't see them doing all the expense on tooling, for a limited run.

Actually probably made by Rossi .

S&W has been in business in Brazil before. 

Remember that's how Taurus got started .

And now that Taurus owns Rossi .

I would not be surprised that it's actually made by Rossi .

And imagine that .

Rossi just stepped up there game in the past year and come out with a really really Nice built 336 clone ! 

• Like 2

I think this is aimed at the “home defense tactical” market.  When I occasionally go to the local range I see more and more Marlins and Rossi’s with top rails and tactical front ends that take lights. Lots of red dot sights and barrel threaded for a silencer.  (I know people will correct silencer with suppressor but the original patent stated silencer). 

people seem to be scared of what the ATF is going to do about AR type rifles and the old fashioned lever gun seems to be making a come back.   A lever action does not have the “black gun” look and is socially acceptable.  

Makes sense to me.  A good pistol caliber lever gun is easily handled. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sarcasmn said:

I think this is aimed at the “home defense tactical” market.  When I occasionally go to the local range I see more and more Marlins and Rossi’s with top rails and tactical front ends that take lights. Lots of red dot sights and barrel threaded for a silencer.  (I know people will correct silencer with suppressor but the original patent stated silencer). 

people seem to be scared of what the ATF is going to do about AR type rifles and the old fashioned lever gun seems to be making a come back.   A lever action does not have the “black gun” look and is socially acceptable.  

Makes sense to me.  A good pistol caliber lever gun is easily handled. 

Actually, it has more to do with folks being bored of the MSR market and want something different...doesn't have a lot to do with the "home defense tactical" market.

Phantom