SASS Wire Forum

Your favorite 12ga load for CAS.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

I’m really enjoying all the information available on the current wire. Reminds me of old times. What is your favorite 12ga recipe for CAS?( Please hold the preaching and hand wringing). I’ll start 14.6 gr. of Clay Dot. 7/8 oz in a Lightning spreader wad and a STS/Gun Club hull. 

15.6 / 16.0 promo

claybuster CB0175   3/4  oz

Cheddite primer

WW AA hull

This load is snappy. Hammers targets hard due to velocity, but softer because of 3/4 oz payload.    Straight rom Claybuster data sheet provided with wads.   GW

Win AA hull, Extralite powder, MEC # 25, 7/8 oz. #8 chilled shot, W209 primer, grey wad WAA12L or equivalent.

That bushing # yields 13 grains +-.3. I find I have to keep powder bottle topped off to maintain drop yields. Never been a problem shooting them.

I am now transitioning to some Fiocchi targets calling for Lightning wads and a 6 point crimp. I am loading one box and will see how they shoot.

I have been retiring my Win AA hulls as having been reloaded enough times and all looking like culls now. I may start a new batch of firing new shells, once the reloads in service get fired off and hulls discarded.

14.5 grains of Universal Clays, a WWA12 wad and 1 oz of #7 shot all stuffed in a AA Win hull.

Buckerette  load:

AA hull

Claybuster CB0178-12 wad

Win 209

7/8 oz

9 gr Promo - MEC #15 bushing

Gets a bit tired in the cold. Takes down all the KD's at Bar 3 if aimed.

AA hull or Rem. STS hull

Claybuster CB0178-12 wad 

Win 209, Fed. 209 or cheddite 209 primer

7/8 oz #8 shot

14.5gn. 700X powder

STS or AA hulls

7/8oz reclaimed shot

WAA12 grey wad (claybuster)

15grns of Clays powder---MEC powder bushing #28

any 209 primer. I like CCI

Okay, I need clarification!  I love the info here, but a few months back, when I posted some load data (and I was only asking a question) at least six people jumped me and shouted "Illegal".  What gives now?

Just now, Smoky Pistols said:

Okay, I need clarification!  I love the info here, but a few months back, when I posted some load data (and I was only asking a question) at least six people jumped me and shouted "Illegal".  What gives now?

They lifted the no reloading recipe rule. 

28 minutes ago, Southpaw Gringo, SASS # 74217 said:

They lifted the no reloading recipe rule. 

Oh, okay.  I figured there was something I was unaware of.  Good deal.  Continue on as if I've said nothing then!

2.8 cc or 3.1 cc 2f or 3f. Black or APP. Win AA Red wad, 1 1/8oz of 7.5 or 8 shot;federal primer

WinLite. 13.6g. 1oz shot. WinAA hulls pink wad, Federal Primers.  Looking for a similar load using Clays.  WinLite is about gone.

6 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

( Please hold the preaching and hand wringing)

Never let it be said that I can't take a hint.

My favorite CAS 12 Gauge load is 4.3CC (about 66 grains) of Schuetzen FFg, a 1/8" Circle Fly Over Powder wad, a 1/2" Circle Fly Compression wad, 1  1/8 ounces of #8 shot, a Circle Fly Over Shot Card, a Winchester 209 Primer, all stuffed into a Remington STS hull.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

My gamer load,  1 1/8 of #9 shot with a spreader wad slit, over a charge of Red Dot. Works VERY well on knock downs and especially on flyers .:D

This may be the place for me to mention that once I used up my "magnum" #8 shot I went to "chilled" as softer and less likely to blowback on the gallery.

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just about any 12ga hull, except AA.

17.5gn Unique and 3/4-1oz of shot.

Any SG primer.

Very low in recoil-

OLG

You beat me too it again lol.

Same load for me .

Rooster 

Rotator cuff surgery earlier this year, now back shooting...

AA or STS hulls, Remington or Winchester 209 primers, 7/8 oz. shot, WAA12L grey wads.

MEC 9000 #25 bushing, measured 13.4 gr. Red Dot...but also Clays or Clay Dot without changing bushing. Shoulder is happy.

Recently loaded IMR Red with same bushing, measured 14.4 gr. Shooting that (with 13.4 Red Dot, for comparison) at this coming weekend match.

Spray finished shells with Armor All, wipe off excess with paper towel, shiny and slick.

SASS Wire is a WHOLE LOT more fun now with reloading data.

RRR

Okay, don't know if anyone was planning to check back on Red Dot and IMR Red comparison. Shot 13.4 gr. Red Dot left barrel and 14.4 gr. IMR Red right barrel in my S x S 12 g., 6 stages (loaded all with #25 bushing). Maybe an occasional slight smidge more umpf sound in right barrel, but not noticeable on my repaired shoulder. Supposedly, IMR Red was comparable sub for Red Dot, but for same volume it is about 1 gr. heavier.

Once fired, and once fired ONLY AA hulls, Federal 210 primers, (or Winchester, I don't care), Claybuster CB1138-12 wad, however much Goex 2F fits in a MEC #43 bushing and one oz of #9 shot!.   Key to this load is keeping the right amount of pressure on the wad as you dump the shot... too little pressure and the shot doesn't crimp well, too much and you have a hole in the center of the crimp and shot dribbles out... 

Otherwise... Winchester AA12FL8.  

8 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

9.1 grains alliant extra-lite -Winchester hulls- lightning wads 1-1/6oz. Of #8's- fed 209's.

How clean is thst load? Are you loading on a Mec and if so what bushing? I would assume that it is sub sonic. Interesting

23 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just about any 12ga hull, except AA.

17.5gn Unique and 3/4-1oz of shot.

Any SG primer.

Very low in recoil-

OLG

What wad would work in Remington STS hull with this load with 3/4 oz shot?  Thanks

2 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

How clean is thst load? Are you loading on a Mec and if so what bushing? I would assume that it is sub sonic. Interesting

Deuce I'm loading on a Dillion SL900.

This load is super clean even with the lite charge and No unburned powder At All. Yes it is a subsonic load as I recall it's a little less than 900 fps

Recoil feels similar to a Featherlite, but with a lot more bb's.

10 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

What wad would work in Remington STS hull with this load with 3/4 oz shot?  Thanks

Even though they are marketed for WW.

I had good luck in Fed and Remmy 12ga hulls.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/claybuster-12-ga-win-3-4-oz/

I use this for my 1oz SASS 12ga loads

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/claybuster-12-ga-rem-tgt12/

Stopped load'n 3/4oz shot loads because of stubborn knock downs.

OLG

4.3 CC of Goex 3F and the same volume of shot, in a 12 ga. hull with what ever plastic wad that gives the right crimp height in the hull used ...

3.4 CC of Goex 3F and 1 oz of shot, in a 16 ga. hull with the plastic that gives the right Crimp Height in the hull of the moment ....

I use Winchester or CCI , 209s ....

I buy mostly Federal ammo in 16 ga. to get hulls for using with Black ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived