SASS Wire Forum

Roadside Restaurants

Instead of hijacking the Waffle House thread, thought I'd start another. Sometimes these roadside restaurants are excellent.

One of my favorites are both Iowa Machine Sheds along I-80 in Iowa.  Awesome! 

Another is Lambert's Cafe just off US-65 in Springfield, MO. Home of the "Throwed Rolls". If you want more rolls and are willing to catch them, they'll throw 'em to you from across the room.

What are some of your favorites?

Dutch Kitchen on Rt 42 south of Plain City, Ohio. (Now closed, sadly.) Real Amish cooking, and you couldn't leave without walking through the bakery store on the way out.

The Pik-N-Pig in Carthage, NC. At the McConnel-Gilliam airport. A grass strip where locals fly in to eat dinner.

The best smoked dry rub Boston Butt I’ve ever had. Advertising is by word of mouth only, and you will never find it empty when open.

If you are in the area they are open 6 days, closed on Mondays. 

They also have the “Junkyard Dog”, a full scale model of a P40 made from junk by a local artist. Great for the kids to stare at in wonder.

Tiny little Roadside Cafe in Sugar City, Colorado. You can't miss it as it's the only restaurant in town. The food is okay but the gal that runs the place has got a great sense of humor. And she always gets coffee and pie on your table ASAP. I stop through there whenever I'm on Highway 96.

Any roadside diner in Louisiana. :D

The Fried Pies place in the Oklahoma Arbuckle Mountains is awesome because Fried Pies are awesome. And if anyone says otherwise they are wrong.

Alamo Springs cafe outside of Fredericksburg, Tx. One of the best burgers in Texas and serve yourself drinks.  Hard to beat. 

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

Brookville Hotel, Abilene, Kansas.  Homemade fried chicken and sides served family style in quantity.  Not to be missed when you shoot with the Butterfield Gulch Gang at their Chapman, Kansas range.

1 hour ago, Sparky Nelson said:

Dutch Kitchen on Rt 42 south of Plain City, Ohio. (Now closed, sadly.) Real Amish cooking, and you couldn't leave without walking through the bakery store on the way out.

Best damn cinnamon rolls ever! 

Pat's Riverfront Cafe - Port Orange, FL, 

Mobil Gas Station at the intersection of US 395 and California Rt 120. Lee Vining Ca. Only open from the first weekend in April through Halloween.

Those that have eaten there know exactly what I am talking about. For those that haven't you should really make the effort.

My first time I thought it was a joke. After my meal I was sure I was dreaming. No way a gas station could serve food this good. One place where looks are deceiving in this case.

I stopped at the Big Texan on I-40 in Amarillo to take a look at the "eat it all and it's free" 72 oz. steak.  It looked more like a large roast.  But the normal steak I ordered was quite good.  Nice décor as well.

The Squeeze Inn on Power Inn Road in Sacramento. Best burgers on the West coast. 

Mike’s Diner on Stockton Road, Elk Grove, CA. Darn good breakfast. 

Jessie's Pies on Hwy 89 south of Brigham City, Utah.  It went out of business several years ago and I've been im mourning ever since.

Same for Doug and Emmy's in Layton, Utah.  Closed when a new highway entrance ramp went in.  Bought out by grannie Annie's in Clearfield (?) but it's not as good.

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Cool!!

Another I just remembered is Eischen's Bar in Okarche, OK. I believe it's the oldest bar/saloon in OK. Awesome fried chicken. Gonna be there again in a few months for a July 4 celebration.

Can't believe you found this place. Not much of a menu, but if you like fried chicken and fried okra, this place is right up there on places to stop.

I'm kind of partial to the Blue Bonnet Café, on Hwy 281 in Marble Falls, TX. Great greasy breakfast and cream pies to die for.

Been there since 1929.

Potato Shack in Encinitas, Ca. On hiway 101. Man hole cover  sized pancakes and great potato dishes, hence the name. Always crowded and two blocks from the beach.

Another one in Amarillo. The Pancake Station off of I-40 and Paramount St. Great breakfast, awesome biscuits and sausage gravy.

15 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Ebro Cafe on Hwy 20 in Ebro, FL.  Best fried mullet, cheese grits, and black coffee for breakfast you ever had.

Marshal Hangtree:

Well I'll be as useless as air brakes on a turtle.

When my wife and I first got married and made trips to visit her folks in Choctaw Beach, one of the places my father-in-law would take us all to eat lunch was at the Bruce Café on Hwy 20. Real down home cooking and great tasting catfish.

When you mentioned the Ebro Café, I couldn't help but remember the restaurant just up the road from the Ebro Café.

Thank you for the memory as I had all but forgotten about that part of my life.

Seems we tend to forget the wonderful experiences and times we had with loved ones who are no longer with us.

Sorry to get off track.

Thanks again.

5accdae0840c0_BruceCafe.thumb.JPG.2c702e20f4527e6ae3e3741b77e2767a.JPG

5accdad884922_EbroCafe.JPG.807297b609df7c1f88c3c07fe4384a99.JPG

I guess I get all the bad luck.  A couple years back the Mrs. and I took a trip from MO to FL and decided we were going to make a point of eating at local restaurants to catch some great unknown eatery.    We tried some home grown Fried Chicken places, steak houses and some local BBQ's among others.  The best of those was, at best, mediocre.  A couple were downright horrible.  About mid Georgia we figured we'd had enough and started sticking to names we knew. 

On the drive home we made a point of only eating at places that had pie.  That turned out pretty well.  :-)

RE: The OP's mention of Lambert's.  It may be local but it sure ain't a little greasy spoon.  That dang place is more like a warehouse!  Great big rolls and I love their fried 'taters.  If you leave hungry it's your own dang fault.

Angus

The Otis cafe in Otis Oregon.  The Brown Bread there is heaven.

Of course I haven't been there in 20 years..

The old Agate Beach Tavern just north Newport and the best breakfast menu I ever sampled.  Of course they were a mainstay of Loggers, Fishermen and even some farmers so the portons were outright HUGE.  I swear the full size omelettes were made with 12 eggs each.  It's gone now.

When the old AA restaurant in Lakeview Oregon closed it was re-opened a couple years later as a mexican place that I don't remember the name of andhad the best fresh churros...

I think all of the places I used to eat breakfast at are closed now...

Aunt Toadies, Ft. Scott KS.

MMMMMM, greasy spoon.

Mrs K’s Kitchen on Hwy 140/Main St Middleburgh, NY. The food is fine but the real attraction is the pure 1950’s atmosphere with Mrs K herself, in her 90’s I believe, still waiting tables, her daughter in the kitchen, granddaughter waiting tables and great grandkids likely running around the place. A priceless piece of Americana if there ever was one. Middleburgh itself is worth a looksee for the same Norman Rockwell look. Check it out when you leave Cooperstown and head back towards the dreaded NYC. They could be on different planets!

Seamus

6 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Marshal Hangtree:

Well I'll be as useless as air brakes on a turtle.

When my wife and I first got married and made trips to visit her folks in Choctaw Beach, one of the places my father-in-law would take us all to eat lunch was at the Bruce Café on Hwy 20. Real down home cooking and great tasting catfish.

When you mentioned the Ebro Café, I couldn't help but remember the restaurant just up the road from the Ebro Café.

Thank you for the memory as I had all but forgotten about that part of my life.

Seems we tend to forget the wonderful experiences and times we had with loved ones who are no longer with us.

Sorry to get off track.

Thanks again.

5accdae0840c0_BruceCafe.thumb.JPG.2c702e20f4527e6ae3e3741b77e2767a.JPG

5accdad884922_EbroCafe.JPG.807297b609df7c1f88c3c07fe4384a99.JPG

Yep!  I remember the Bruce Cafe well, Garth.  We've eaten there many times over the years.  Excellent shrimp etouffee and cornbread.  Thanks for reminding me.

When in South Lake Tahoe or Carson City eat at the Red Hut.  Until approximately ten-15 years ago it was a breakfast only place in a repurposed real estate sales shack with maybe 5 tables.  The food was so good and inexpensive that you had to wait 30-45 min's to get a table.  A favorite of residents and visitors who stumbled in or were directed there.  They expanded to two larger places in South Lake Tahoe/Staeline NV as well as south Carson City.  The Hwy 50/Ski Run Blvd. location is open all day & has other than breakfast items. I don't know if the original Hwy 50 near Tahoe Keys Blvd. location is still open; because, I avoid Hwy 50 when in Tahoe or passing through.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I remember eating at the Bruce Cafe, one time. Coming home from Freeport. Been almost 30 years ago, but it was purty good food.

Alpo, did you ever stop by a place on 331 at the foot of the bay bridge called "The Slab"?  Great place to drink a beer or 12, shoot pool, and get in a knife fight.

Don't know if it would qualify as a five star diner but it was something to behold. 

My vote goes for Nick's Seafood Pavilion (now closed and an off ramp),  on Water Street, in Yorktown, Va. 

Food was so-so, but the decor was stellar. 

Another great roadside joint was Merle's Truck Stop on US 231 just south of Montgomery, AL.  This was the kind of old school truck stop where the owners and the waitresses knew all the truckers and Deputies, and even took the trucker's orders over the CB radio.  Alas, Miss Merle and her sister Mervin grew too old to keep it up, sold the truck stop back around '98 and it ain't been the same since.  I had a lot of great hamburger steaks and peach cobbler at Merle's.  And nothing beats old style truck stop coffee.

Archived