SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cart 6 questions?

Aggie Bill

(1.) I'm new at this (Real new) and was wondering what type of guncart youll might be using and why?

(2.) 2 wheel, 3 or even 4 wheels, some with umbrella?

(3.) Is money the decider? Don't want to buy one type then later on wish I had a-nut-er. I know space is a big factor and totally understand that, but it looks like show is too!

(4.) I'm pretty handy with wood and was thinking about building two and selling one, how hard is that to do?

(5.) If you were to buy today what would you spend?

(6.) I see space for rifles & shotguns, revolvers, ammo, saddle bags, brass bag, something to drink, maybe a place to sit or cleaning supplies, wheels, and a pull handle, am I missing something else?

Thanks Aggie Bill

Photos of some I found:

Gun Cart (4).jpg

Gun Cart (5).jpg

Gun Cart (7).jpg

Gun Cart (9).jpg

Gun Cart (12).jpg

Gun Cart (23).jpg

Gun Cart (24).jpg

Gun Cart (26).jpg

Gun Cart (32).jpg

gun chuck wagon.jpg

Wooden carts can be beautiful, inexpensive to build, and work great for a lot of ranges.  We started  in 2003 with a lovely wooden cart and a wagon made into a gun cart until we shot at EOT which is unbelievably enough uphill no matter where you are headed.  We got a 4 gun Rugged Gear cart and have used it ever since.  Many use an old baby jogging stroller made into a gun cart which can be done cheaply.  I see more and more Rugged Gear and jogging stroller gun carts here in the ranges where I shoot in Texas.

Bought one of these on 2010.  Still going strong.

Cry one time-Buy one time.

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=214/category_id=180/mode=prod/prd214.htm

Good outfit to deal with with great C/S.

OLG

Lorelei hit the nail on the head. Beauty is great but it can be a royal pain on rough terrain. It can also get real old real quick having to heave a ton of gun cart into and out of and into and out of your vehicle. I repeated myself because you load it into the vehicle at home, unload it at the Range, load it back up at the Range when you’re done shooting and then unload it again once you get home.  Rugged Gear has cornered the market on light weight and functionality. 

Unless you are very good with wood and like the hobby side of that then building one is fine.  Wood does get heavy but my suggestion with any is consider big wheels and a place to carry a stool (such as the one leaned up against the vehicle in third pic).  Of course you can always have a built in stool but that spells more weight.  IMO, best bet is to contact The Briscos at Cowboy Shooters Supply and order a Rugged Gear cart....lighter in the long run and certainly easier to load.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush said:

Make sure it will fit in your car before you build it. :)

Been there. I too started out with a wooden cart that needed to fold up and fit in the back of my jeep. The hinge for the fold was the week point that kept breaking on me. At one time, my cart seemed to be more metal than wood after all the fixes I employed. I was at an annual match and walked about 6 steps before the bottom completely came out of mine. That was the final straw. At the end of the match, I was helping a pard put away his rugged gear cart and I was sold. Haven't looked back since.

If you are handy with wood working, they are fairly easy to make.  Making two isn't a problem, but my suggestion is that you make one first.  Over time,  you will make adjustments to fit your needs.  For example, I went to larger wheels because they are easier to push/pull.  I makde changes to my retention system.  Then I bought a Camaro.  At this point, I needed to down size my cart and make it a folder.  I was able to get it into the truck without taking the wheels off.  At this point, I sold my first cart.  Another thing to keep in mind is weight.  My first one was made of solid oak.  Looked nice, but was very heavy.  The secon one was much lighter.  Good luck.  Have fun.

The last thing I would call myself is talented. I was, however, about to build one out of a sheet and a half of plywood, some spare pieces of 2x4, and some other odds and ends as needed. It works for me, but then, I have a mini-van to haul it in.

One of the things about CAS is you see other shooter's pistols, rifles, shotguns, gun carts, leather, etc. and say "Dang, I'd sure like to have that."

If I was starting over, I'd build one of the folding carts. There are plans you can find on the web.

Just like your other equipment, you have to do what works for you.

Good luck, MCM

IMHO, there is great satisfaction in using and building your own gun cart. Here are a few that I’ve built, if you see something you like feel free to use it.

A9A2650A-341A-4A01-8D89-67E98BA42B8C.jpeg

DB6DB207-2382-4A7E-A454-1E0F0E9E2642.jpeg

77561A6B-7B51-4C82-B155-D558F9F90C3E.jpeg

4B754D39-141C-4AE3-9C30-D7B93B66951E.jpeg

EDAB5E77-7273-4A4A-BD49-31D20BBF24C4.jpeg

92992AD6-7261-4B06-9266-0C5CA09159EA.jpeg

I was thinking about getting an old dolly and modifying it. I’ve got a weathered old box, bolt that to the bottom, then putting a rifle rack on the frame. Ugly but cheap. 

4 minutes ago, Aggie Bill said:

Yul Lose when you sell one of your wonderful gun carts, what kind of gold you ask fur it?

A lot. Usually I raffle them off. If I were you I’d build one just to see what it’s like, you never know you might like building gun carts. I couldn’t stop at just one I’m building #62-65 right now. I thought that I was going to retire at #40. 

59 minutes ago, The Reverend Malachi Gosse said:

I was thinking about getting an old dolly and modifying it. I’ve got a weathered old box, bolt that to the bottom, then putting a rifle rack on the frame. Ugly but cheap. 

I’m doing something similar for a temp gun cart.  I’m building a decent 4-slot rack out of 1x4 and 2x10 pine, and will use a wood Vietnam War vintage HPX 30-06 crate for storage, and a furniture dolly to haul it all around. 

This is the 3rd one I've had and I think it will be the last. I have the extra rear box and added saddlebags. It is easy to set the boxes and bags off an it is pretty compact and with a screwdriver it will take down and fit in a duffel bag.  Not wood but I like it.

http://www.papadaveguncarts.com/page04.html

Randy

5 hours ago, The Reverend Malachi Gosse said:

Like this?

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/GunCart.html

One item I've learned to appreciate as I age is a "between stages" storage for my pistols. Somewhere to carry them that;s not on my body.  Rugged gear makes a nice one for their 4 gun cart.  I have the older 3 gun rig that I modified to carry the pistols.

Thought on umbrellas.  They work well for sun and rain but suck big time in the wind.

5 hours ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

Yup. That’s pretty much what I had in mind. I was thinking about putting some strong magnets into the upper support, covered by some felt, so the barrels of the long guns don’t slide around too much. But otherwise that’s exactly what I was envisioning. 

10 hours ago, The Reverend Malachi Gosse said:

That's what I started with.  Was able to fit it in the back of my Jeep Cherokee with the back seat folded down.

Just make sure the base is heavy enough that the dolly doesn't tip over when you let go on uneven surfaces.

After about 5 different gun carts I settled on Rugged Gear 4 gun Cart. It is not perfect but it rolls easy and carry’s all of my gear. My wife had to get her own gun cart, no room in mine I carry the cooler,  she is very happy with her Gun Cart. 

Aggie Bill,

Your pics show the variety of gun carts that exist in the hobby, high end, basic and creative. Yul Lose makes the highest of the high end and they are expensive. Duece Stevens and his partner make a fairly basic cart that will get the job done for a reasonable price. There are some for sale on the Classified section of this, but most guys will not ship outside of their state. I am not handy so I just ordered one from Mustang Woodcrafters. They have a web site with pics of all of their styles. Make sure you get one that folds for easy loading and transport in your vehicle. Good luck and happy shootin'.

I started out building my own. Started with an old dynamite crate and some "barn wood". I wanted something that looked like a cowboy cobbled together from stuff he found in the barn. total cost was about $20 for hardware. We still use it for side matches when we need to carry more guns and as a loaner. My wife found a big wheeled baby stroller at a garage sale for $40 that I converted into a 4 gun cart. It is light weight, pushes easily, carries everything we need and folds up flat for transport. It's served us well going on 4 years so far.

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

IMHO, there is great satisfaction in using and building your own gun cart. Here are a few that I’ve built, if you see something you like feel free to use it.

A9A2650A-341A-4A01-8D89-67E98BA42B8C.jpeg

DB6DB207-2382-4A7E-A454-1E0F0E9E2642.jpeg

77561A6B-7B51-4C82-B155-D558F9F90C3E.jpeg

4B754D39-141C-4AE3-9C30-D7B93B66951E.jpeg

EDAB5E77-7273-4A4A-BD49-31D20BBF24C4.jpeg

92992AD6-7261-4B06-9266-0C5CA09159EA.jpeg

Y,

no doubt with your talent at wood craft you should never quit building these awesome carts so that cowboy shooters such as I can look at photos and be in awe.....beautiful, quality, and usable "machines".  Thanks for sharing pics from time to time.

Rugged Gear is definitely the way to go. It'll fit in anything. In extreme situations, you may have to pop off a wheel or two, but it's easy. Very well thought out, Rain cover is great, & you can get an umbrella holder. Not pretty to look at, but save the pretty for your guns & clothing. Love the look of the elaborate wooden carts, but if you shoot a lot (like EOT as others have pointed out), Rugged Gear is the only way to go. And, I like the optional big bag for the front. My wife & I both have one, even though all our stuff will fit on one.

Howdy Aggie, your 3rd & 5th pictures are Rollin Krapps designs called the Rough Rider, he sells the plans for $5....used to be on Hula or Amazon I think, you can PM him. They are fairly light weight and fold for easy storage. I built a 3-gun and 5-gun version, both have a tray on the back for drinks and stuff. Instead of a box/seat I use fabric Igloo coolers for ammo and an Ameristep Directors chair, the chair will fit leaning behind the ammo box with a small cooler for drinks. The 3-gun has a hole in the tray with pipe clamp at bottom for umbrella pole, the other I use the center gun slot and bungee. If you get an umbrella make sure it's a good wind vent style, and carry some extra ammo for counter weight;). Baby strollers and golf-bag carts are light easy ones to make also. Good Luck:) Golf-bag cart;

http://www.reloadammo.com/guncart.htm

18 hours ago, Aggie Bill said:

(1.) I'm new at this (Real new) and was wondering what type of guncart youll might be using and why?

(2.) 2 wheel, 3 or even 4 wheels, some with umbrella?

(3.) Is money the decider? Don't want to buy one type then later on wish I had a-nut-er. I know space is a big factor and totally understand that, but it looks like show is too!

(4.) I'm pretty handy with wood and was thinking about building two and selling one, how hard is that to do?

(5.) If you were to buy today what would you spend?

(6.) I see space for rifles & shotguns, revolvers, ammo, saddle bags, brass bag, something to drink, maybe a place to sit or cleaning supplies, wheels, and a pull handle, am I missing something else?

Thanks Aggie Bill

To answer your questions directly. 

1.  I use one I bought from a member of my club.  I bought it because it was cheap and I still use it because it hasn't fallen apart yet. 

2.  Mine has 4 wheels.  Originally it had 2 but a previous owner (I think I am the 3rd) took the pegs off the front and added more wheels.  I think it was a good add.  It's very rare that I have problems with it rolling when it needs to stay still.  If it tries to run off, I can just turn it 90 degrees and that puts an end to that nonsense.  If I get on rough terrain or need to turn, I can always kick it back on it's back wheels, otherwise I roll it on all 4 because it's easier and the long guns aren't pointed at me. 

3.  Money was the decider for me.  I think I paid $100 for my cart.  I downright covet some of the carts I see posted on the wire and eventually I will get a purty one.  When I do the current cart will become a gunrack where keep guns that need cleaning or other ministrations.  The cart is used for that now, but sometimes I have to unload the non cowboy guns from it to go to a match.  When i get another cart this one can just stay in the garage.  Size is important.  When I bought my last car we were looking for an SUV.  We were about to buy one when I thought to see how my gun cart fit, and it didn't.  From then on out, I had a tape measure anytime we went to look at a car.  Wound up with a tahoe.  I reckon if you're building your own you can solve that problem in a more reasonable way. 

4.  I am not.  But if you are handy I'm going to venture a guess that it'll be easy for you and will get easier as you make more.  Long about your second or third one, when they get real easy to build, remember your ole buddy Gambler, OK?  Baytown aint too far away from magnolia. 

5.  I can't answer that.  I was looking at one that another pard is selling for $250, and at that price I need to lay my hands on it first.  I guess I'm a cheapskate. 

6.  The only thing I wish mine had was a place to keep the revolvers.  I wouldn't even use it between stages, but I miss it when I'm moving the guns around and not wearing my gunbelt yet.  I would not want one with a seat.  Instead of an umbrealla, I just keep a big thick plastic trashbag in the storage compartment (or in my truck).  Other than that the only thing I didn't see you specifically mention is a working surface.  I mostly use mine to move ammo from the boxes to the loading strips, but there are plenty of times where I'm glad I have a flat lid to put things on while I work. 

19 hours ago, Aggie Bill said:

(1.) I'm new at this (Real new) and was wondering what type of guncart youll might be using and why? Now, I have modified a kid's radio flyer wagon into a guncart. I installed a wood rack for long guns and a store bought wooden box for the ammo box. I painted up the wood. It'll do for now. I have made several carts but the one thing they all had in common = Pneumatic Wheels and padding for the long arms. Never understood why someone would pay good money for a gun to beat the hell out of...

(2.) 2 wheel, 3 or even 4 wheels, some with umbrella? 2 is good for some things. 4  is good for others. Want to sit on the cart. Go with 2. Want to carry everything and pull the cart go with 4. I wouldn't have a 3 gun cart if you were giving it away. Unstable...Oh, yeah, don't attach an umbrella unless you know your cart is fairly stable.

(3.) Is money the decider? Don't want to buy one type then later on wish I had a-nut-er. I know space is a big factor and totally understand that, but it looks like show is too! Money is not the decider for building one but for a lot less than I can buy one I can build one that has all the faults of a store bought one for a third of the cost. :P

(4.) I'm pretty handy with wood and was thinking about building two and selling one, how hard is that to do? Build yourself a cart and make a drawing of how you did it, then use the cart for a few matches and then you can add mods to the second one as you build it.

(5.) If you were to buy today what would you spend? $150 in materials...tops

(6.) I see space for rifles & shotguns, revolvers, ammo, saddle bags, brass bag, something to drink, maybe a place to sit or cleaning supplies, wheels, and a pull handle, am I missing something else? A lock box for things you want to lock up. An umbrella or a shield or for sun or rain.

I am a rugged cart user.  No skill in wood working but also having had wooden cart, the rugged gear is lighter for me to handle getting into and out of the truck.

Yes, the bad this is that unlike many wooden carts there is no built in seating, I just carry a nice fold up swivel stool that fits into the cart.

One accessory for rugged gear now is pistol holders. 

http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=376/category_id=183/mode=prod/prd376.htm

I've built a number of gun carts over the years and these are some of the things I've discovered.

The bigger the wheels, the easier it will be to pull.  Don't build more guncart than you need.  Wood gets heavy real fast.  

Use mouse pad rubber on the upright to protect your gun barrel finish.  Don't use felt.  It will wear off the bluing very quickly.

Oak plow handles are great for gun carts and you can pick them up at most feed stores for about $35.   Home Depot sells large lawn mower wheels that work good too.  

Forget the umbrella.  It's just something for the wind to catch and blow your cart over.  If it's raining, just get a cheap poncho and hang it over the whole gun cart.

You'll want some place to put a water bottle, but not near your ammo or guns.   Chilled water bottles drip water.   Think bicycle water bottle holder.

When designing your gun cart, make every effort to make it  NOT top heavy.   I've seen more than a couple of little red wagons turn over attempting to cross rough terrain.  

The 1st 2 photographs use a triangle to distribute the weight of the gun cart handles and I have found this to be a very strong design.  It equalizes the torque between 3 joints rather than just one.  The tripod (2 wheels and a single forward leg) is also very stable on uneven ground.  

I use golf cart, with wide wheels,, I've made the bottom sides and back higher and nicer wood since, and improved the top slat,  plenty of shelves for storage,,  I put coat hooks on the ends of the top slat for pistols,,,  screw in hooks on the back of the top slat for bags and such,,  the middle part uses a dowel to hold the bottom in place..  you can make it a nice as you desire,  and of course the whole thing folds up.

I have a light weight one that is used for flying to shoots,,  folds in a suitcase and only weighs 10 lbs

I made the bottom pieces about 3" high after a rifle bounced out....

100_0710.JPG

Archived