SASS Wire Forum

Best revolver for Big Paws?

Doc Ironbeard

Went down to the local gun store yesterday and took a look at several very nice period revolvers. Something I noticed is that I've got pretty good sized paws (large and sometimes extra large gloves) and most of the CAS style revolvers have pretty small grips. Also noticed that my little finger was often off the bottom of the pistol grip and the middle finger was really rubbing and pressing hard on the trigger guard.

Are grips allowed to be modified and enlarged for larger paws?

I can see that I will probably have to round off the trigger guard edges and remove all sharp angles to comfortably grip the pistol. I guess I could get used to not having my whole hand on the pistol grip. Is this common?

I liked the feel of the "Evil Roy" six shooter in .357, very smooth, but still a small grip. I tried Cimmerons, and others. Right now I think I'll go with pistols in .357/.38 to work along with my Henry Big Boy Steel....for starters. Then if my DW should decide to join me in the fun I will probably move on to a larger caliber down the road.

I also wondered about some of the bigger blackpowder horse pistols and I've seen where they have conversions to cartridge use. Is that feasible? Reliable? Safe?

Advice, suggestions, ideas?

Try Ruger Bisleys.

I've got pretty big hands I tried the taylor gunfighter that uses army style grips didnt like them , turns out I like the normal saa . Guess the moral of the story is try till you find what feels right

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers/short-stroke-cattleman/short-stroke-gunfighter/the-short-stroke-gunfighter-army-grip-5-1-2-357mag.html

I've got some pretty big hands/paws myself and I've got a set of the taylors gunfighters and they fit my hand great also shot Hoss's ruger bieslys and they fit my hand pretty good so I've got a set on order... I also know a guy that makes grips for any gun and he can also make the grips larger and longer that will wrap under the frame of a ruger vaquero

I wear extra large gloves because my fingers are so long. I shoot Remington 1875s because the grips are larger and there is more room behind the trigger guard. They point well and have a little more heft to the forward end, reducing muzzle rise on recoil.

Colt style pistols with Army grips work pretty well too!!

You should consider the

EMF Alchimista" I, II, & III

From the EMF site.

The EMF Great Western II is made by Pietta's Italian craftsmen in Brescia, a region famous for making guns since before the Revolutionary War. Alessandro Pietta, SASS Life #41531 took a page out of history books and reintroduced the 1873, paired with the 1860 Army grip frame. He added a competition trigger that is wider and set back, allowing for a larger finger in the trigger guard. When you first pick up the "Alchimista", your initial reaction is, "WOW! What a nice feel!" The 1860 grip is longer and slimmer than the traditional 1873 Single Action Army grip. While not quite the 90 degree angle of the Bisley model Colts, it points better and more naturally than the revolvers with the standard 1873 grip. The "Alchimista" with the 1860 grip would be a great addition to your Cowboy Action Battery.

Went down to the local gun store yesterday and took a look at several very nice period revolvers. Something I noticed is that I've got pretty good sized paws (large and sometimes extra large gloves) and most of the CAS style revolvers have pretty small grips. Also noticed that my little finger was often off the bottom of the pistol grip and the middle finger was really rubbing and pressing hard on the trigger guard.

I can see that I will probably have to round off the trigger guard edges and remove all sharp angles to comfortably grip the pistol. I guess I could get used to not having my whole hand on the pistol grip. Is this common?

I liked the feel of the "Evil Roy" six shooter in .357, very smooth, but still a small grip. I tried Cimmerons, and others. Right now I think I'll go with pistols in .357/.38 to work along with my Henry Big Boy Steel....for starters. Then if my DW should decide to join me in the fun I will probably move on to a larger caliber down the road.

I also wondered about some of the bigger blackpowder horse pistols and I've seen where they have conversions to cartridge use. Is that feasible? Reliable? Safe?

Just a "Heads Up" from what I've read here on the wire, I don't know if you really want to use the Henry Big Boy for this sport. I have NO experience, I'm just echoing what folks here on the wire have said.

(Old Model) Vaqueros with Bisley grip frames.

Or Colt Dragoon cap and ball revolvers ( :lol: )

Good luck, GJ

(Old Model) Vaqueros with Bisley grip frames.

Or Colt Dragoon cap and ball revolvers ( :lol: )

Good luck, GJ

The Bisley single six, "old"model Vaqueros, and "new" model Vaqueros all have the same grip size.

I edited this to include "Bisley" since I was answering Garrison Joe's post I thought people would understand I was referring to them.

The single six, "old"model Vaqueros, and "new" model Vaqueros all have the same grip size.

Nope! Single-Six and Vaqueros have the XR3-RED sized grip frame. New Vaqueros have the XR3 sized frame which is the same as an 1851 Navy and SAA size grip frame.

Sometime around 1963, Ruger went to the XR3-RED size for Blackhawks and Single-Sixes. That size is also used on Old Armies.

Here is a great article on the different sizes.

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Just a "Heads Up" from what I've read here on the wire, I don't know if you really want to use the Henry Big Boy for this sport. I have NO experience, I'm just echoing what folks here on the wire have said.

Thanks and yes I am aware of the feelings for the Henry BB's as I've been reading through the various posts here on the forums. But it is what I have on hand right now. That and a old Savage/Stevens 311 20 gauge Side by Side. So for economic sake I'll go with those to start off with, then all I need to pick up is a brace of pistols and I'm in the game. Maybe not the best of the best equipment to start out with, but I can get into the "action" much sooner than waiting until I have all the perfect tools of the trade. Plus it will give me some time and exposure to better possibilities as I attend shoots and hopefully improve my future choices. Who knows, I might end up one of those rare blokes that likes and masters the Henry. Anything is possible.

I have Ruger OMV and NMV Bisleys. I bought two sets of the same grips. They fit the Old Model well, but not the New Model. On the New Model, the locator pins are off a little and the grips are about 1/4 inch too long. The width is pretty close. The Old Model and New Model Bisley grip frames are not the same.

Desert Doc, don't worry about your Big Boy! I started out with a 94, big loop lever, with the safety in the receiver and during my first shoot I was so nervous that I forgot which way the safety went and ended up ejecting 4 out of the 10 rifle shots! But I did love being heeled and shooting like a cowboy. I had a Colt, Ruger both in .44, and borrowed someone's shotgun. Please enjoy the game, and when you want, replace the Big Boy! I have sinced moved on from that rag tag looking cowpoke, to dressing like the Duke and yes I am still shooting a large loop, but this time it is on his commemorative 92 in .44-40 that I had "adjusted" to shoot .44 spcl and have picked up a couple more Colts, including two Buntlines. Now I know John Wayne never shot a Buntline, but I can;t help it, I wanted a 12" Colt ever since I saw reruns of Wyatt Earp back in the 60's.

My point to you is to enjoy your guns and make no excuses to anyone. If someone comes up and is impolite enough to comment, just ask them to give you whatever they are suggesting and you will happily shot it and give it a good home. I have been in this game long enough to experience those cowpokes who think you should play the game their way, don't listen! Just remember to smile after that first scenario, it will be the most fun you will have shooting guns!

Old model Vaquero with original grips. Many find it too large without changing grips.

I have fairly big hands. I wear XL gloves, sometime 2X. I like Ruger old Models with "slim" grip stocks. Yes, I know it sounds counter-intuitive but it lets the gun rest better in my hand at the base of the grip and my "pinky" still wraps around the base of the grip but it's more comfortable. I have a New Vaquero and it's okay but only because I won't be using it for "hot" loads. My pinky still has no home with that one. I will be getting another old Model and the New Model will be a back up.

I have never tried a Bisley grip frame so I can't comment there. I have tried Colts and they are definitely not big enough, grip wise.

The Plow handle grip on the Colt or clones was meant to be gripped with the little finger curled UNDER the bottom of the grip frame. If you try to hold on with four fingers your hand will be positioned too high and will interfere with the hammer while cocking the revolver.

If you wait a bit, Driftwood Johnson will chime in on this as well. He's the one who set me straight many years ago. I ended up with two pair of Bisley's before I was enlightened.

Hope that helps,

Bisleys work well for me and I have a fairly large hand.

Randy

Me too.

I have Ruger OMV and NMV Bisleys. I bought two sets of the same grips. They fit the Old Model well, but not the New Model. On the New Model, the locator pins are off a little and the grips are about 1/4 inch too long. The width is pretty close. The Old Model and New Model Bisley grip frames are not the same.

Well, I don't know what to say, I have 7 Ruger "Bisleys", 1 Single six, 2 "Old Models" and 4 "New Models", I have exchanged grips from/to all of them without any problems. Guess I'm the exception to the rule.

Grashorn Grips can make elk horn grips as thick as you need.

I'm a XL glove guy been able to palm a basketball since a junior in high school. My main match guns are old model Ruger Vaqueros which as mentioned are no longer in production. Surprisingly I purchased a Cimarron Thunderer as a back up and really like the feel.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/revolvers/single-actions/thunderer-1.html

Ruger OMVs for two handed shooting.

Ruger OMV Bisleys for one handed shooting.

I guess I could get used to not having my whole hand on the pistol grip. Is this common?

If you wait a bit, Driftwood Johnson will chime in on this as well. He's the one who set me straight many years ago. I ended up with two pair of Bisley's before I was enlightened.

Howdy

Yes, it is common.

I NEVER try to cram my entire hand onto the grip of a Colt, colt style replica, Vaquero, New Vaquero, or just about any other single action revolver. Antique Smith and Wesson revolvers too. I always curl my pinky under the grip. The added advantage of not cramming your entire hand onto the grip is it allows you to grip the gun slightly lower. For me this opens up a space about 1/4" between the rear of the trigger guard and my middle finger. I shoot my Colts with full power Black Powder loads and they have a stout recoil. Opening up that 1/4" gap between the trigger guard and the knuckle of my middle finger prevents the knuckle from getting whacked in recoil. The 'knuckle whack' can be quite painful and can interfere with good shooting.

It may seem awkward at first to curl the pinky under the grip, because you are actually only gripping the revolver with two fingers and the palm of the hand, but I can control heavy recoil very well this way. I do not hold the pistol with a death grip, I allow the grip to rotate slightly in my hand as the gun fires, and this absorbs some of the recoil.

Personally I have never been a fan of the Ruger Bisely grip. I owned one a bunch of years ago but sold it.

I do have a couple of Colts with the original Bisley grip. You will notice it is not the same as the Ruger version of the Bisley, the Colt Bisley grip curls further forward than the Ruger version of the Bisley grip.

bisley04_zps9adefab5.jpg

Ruger Bisley

rugerbisley.jpg

Regarding your question about cartridge conversions, yes, they are reliable, but they are a bit unusual. In addition, the Colt 1860 Army had a grip about 1/4" longer than most of the other Colts. Any conversion based on the 1860 Army will have that slightly longer grip. When the Single Action Army came out in 1873, the grip reverted back to the grip of the 1851 Navy Colt, which was slightly smaller than the Army grip, and that is the grip that the SAA and most of its replicas have used ever since.

THANKS Driftwood for your insight.

I've been "playing" with my Heirloom Colt SAA and can see where it is much more comfortable to grip the pistol with the little finger under grip. Feels strange at first, but then easy to get used to and will give the necessary space between the second finger and trigger guard.

BTW....talked to John Kopec tonight and will be taking a trip up to have him authenticate my Colt in the next couple of weeks. Kind of excited to get this done and know more about the history of this pistol. It's been in the family for nearly a hundred years so I feel strongly that we have the real thing. Very Cool!!

I too have bear size mits. I prefer the Rugers bisley grip frames and for single action army's I prefer the larger 1860 army grip frames. I got two sets from pietta one year and swapped out the smaller frames om my usfas to them and never looked back.

Archived