SASS Wire Forum

Best revolver for Big Paws?

Doc Ironbeard

Nope! Single-Six and Vaqueros have the XR3-RED sized grip frame. New Vaqueros have the XR3 sized frame which is the same as an 1851 Navy and SAA size grip frame.

Sometime around 1963, Ruger went to the XR3-RED size for Blackhawks and Single-Sixes. That size is also used on Old Armies.

Here is a great article on the different sizes.

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Actually, NO!!! The BISLEY grip frames are all the same. You are referring to the standard "plow schere" frames. I know this because I have all the above mentioned Bisleys in my collection. Only Bisleys that are different are the real Colts, and they are really weird.

Best, Al

I too have large paws. I regularly shoot Uberti El Patrones - they fit and are comfortable. Also have Ruger old style vaqueros with Bisley grips that I do not like.

I'm a big boy, being the heavier of the Evil Twins. I insisted on Army frames for all of my cap guns until, weakened by their beauty, I bought a pair of 1861s with the Navy frame. I was quite surprised to find that I had no problem getting all my fingers on the grips and the guns actually shot more POA/POI.

I then went to Ruger Old Armys and found the same situation on the XR3/XR3Red frames.

I'm convince there may be a "head" situation here.

Try them and shoot what is comfortable for you.

Ruger Old Model Vaqueros have fairly large grips. Though out of production there are plenty available used.

Howdy Desert Doc and Welcome,

Yep OMV, keep an eye on the classified, should be able to find a good pair at a decent price. You can also post a WTB, (want to buy) there are plenty of SASS shooters, dealers and gunsmiths that may have what yer looking for. And as Nate noted the EMF Alchimista have 1860 Army grips. Also as DJ said, the way you grip a SA may be just fine for an 1873. Before you buy anything, guns, leather..etc start going to as many matches as you can, try before you buy. Handle the different models, if you can't find any Alchimista ask if there is a C&B shooter using 1860 Army to get a feel for them. Bring what you have, get ahold of the MD, they can often line up some leather and pistols for you to shoot. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Archived