SASS Wire Forum

What's the purpose of local matches?

Shooting Bull

A statement in one of the Winter Range threads got me to wondering about this. The statement was that if clubs want their shooters to be ready for bigger matches such as Winter Range they need to start varying target distances, heights and sizes. They also need to have a variety of movement and allow for a bit more shooters choice type scenarios. If the purpose of local matches truly is to prepare the club's shooters for bigger matches then I completely agree with the above but, is this the purpose of local matches? What's your take, do you go to your local matches simply to enjoy that match or do you use them as practice for bigger matches?

Here's how I see it......

Local matches are for having fun with friends! The larger matches are for having fun with strangers (new friends).

I've never heard anyone mention that the local matches are just a precursor or practice sessions for the larger matches, of course we're a pretty small club and we just get together to shoot. And of course money plays a big part, not everyone can hop in an RV or on a plane, fly across the country, spend hundreds on a match and hundreds more on accommodations and dining. If it weren't for the local matches, many wouldn't be able to afford to shoot at all!

Sorry I missed you at Winter Range, ok, well, I'm sorry I missed yer missus at any rate :D:P

Depends on the club and the people. There are some clubs whose shooters never go to bigger matches. And most, I suspect only have a small number of folks who go to bigger matches.

To answer your question directly - to give the shooters what they want.

Most places I shoot do a good job of varying target height and placement, but they also may make a point of designing the match just prior to a big match coming up to more closely match that big match.

What is a bigger match?

Bordertown - Pure speed with barn size targets at less than 5 yards

or

Old School matches - with 12" targets at 10 to 50 yards.

Our club, 35 shooters regularly has a mix of every type shooter. Those that are always trying to be as fast as they can and do go to shoots. Those that do a bit of both. And those that just want to shoot and have fun.

We tell everyone that all SASS rules apply no matter who you are or what we are shooting our rifle targets are 16" sq and the pistol 16" round. We place them real close and real far.

We do reloads, we let the shooter stage the guns and shoot where they want, or we clearly give them where and how to shoot the stage. We shoot SG knock downs, 4" diva pipes, and birds.

On top of this we do an annual Josey Wales shot so some can shoot their single shot big bores. And the stages are written so you can also shoot regular cowboy.

My point here is we try to be all things to all types of shooters. Keeps them coming back.

Ike

Pretty individual answer.

For the first 4 years I never shot any other match than the two local clubs.

Now I'm looking forward to 4 major shoots this year.

Waimea

They way I see local matches is that it has five purposes.

1) introduction to sass

2) training in the ediqute of sass and the use of old style firearms

3) practice shooting for experience and prepreation for large championship matches

4) socialization with friends and other shooters

5) a voice as members to sass through the tg.

The purpose of local matches is so I can shoot with my wife and 2 kids. And all my friends. Most of my club never shoots a large match, except for the California Blackpowder shoot we host.

Club matches are practice for club annual matches. Club annuals are practice for State matches. State matches are practice for Regional matches. Regional matches are practice for Divisional matches. Divisional matches are practice for the National and World matches.

Or, they are just for fun!!!! :D

As I see it, Local matches are for having FUN. Some, define FUN differently. Everyone should have a reasonable shot at a clean match. The raw newbie should be able to get lots of KLANG for their BANG. If they can't, they historically don't come back.

To my way of thinking, since SASS and it's matches are selling entertainment, "just" 20 clean shooters out of over 900??? Something wrong there. Where I shoot, we have 20 clean shooters out of 60. Everybody grins.

"just" 20 out of 900+ seems kind of bleak.

Only a small percentage of our shooters go to "Big" Matches (Winter Range or EOT). For a lot of people they only shoot Local Matches, and a Local Annual shoot is their Winter Range or EOT. When putting on a shoot, you have to keep everyone in mind. There is a fine line between putting on the show for the locals and the big boys. I think both are achieveable. Our last two shoots Jan and Feb. we did move the targets back a bit in attempt to help those who were preparing for Winter Range. Bottom line is you try to make everyone happy, not just one group of people. Little bit of an art to it..

I think local matches are more for fun and bringing in new shooters. Shooters who want variety and practice for bigger matches tend to shoot at different local matches in their area which then provides them with different distances, target sizes, movement, etc.

CB

828 shooters signed up for the big match, WR,

28,172 shooters did not.

Monthly matches are for fun, because that is what the majority of the customers want. This topic has been beaten to death.

Same for Annuals and regionals, the customers are the monthly match shooters, for fun., with a few more serious shooters.

Few out of state Big Match type shooters will attend some other States, State Match.

90% of the shooters at the National & World are everyday people.

So, if the Big Matches ramp it up to be more of a challenge, then whomever wants to be a contender, will have to practice the more difficult shooting styles on their own and not at monthlies.

If the Big Matches make it too difficult, then the everyday shooter types will fade away.

Of course, there is a traveling group of shooters that make the shooting circuit that concentrate only on State, Regional and Bigger Matches,,, filled in by a few Annuals and finally with monthlies.

Interesting.

Like most of the replies, the people that shoot at our range only shoot here because it's as much as they can justify in time, expense and that meets their level desire to participate. Others shoot at a couple of local ranges and maybe one large match that's not gowd awful far away. Only one guy shoots about every weekend and makes it to the big regional matches.

All of the above.

Of course local matches are to be fun.

AND. Can be great practice for bigger matches.

There is NO REASON they can not be both.

Bigger matches can and are fun.

So why would doing some of those same things be not

fun at a local monthly.

To me. It's all the same thing.

Do I get a little more serious at a few monthly's just before a big match.

Yes. But that does not mean we can not have fun at the same time.

For the different local matches we shoot, it depends on the local club. Most shooters do not shoot matches outside of the State match or Regional (because the Regional is nearby...in our State). I imagine next year when the Regional goes to Tennessee, there will be less shooters from our local clubs going because of the travel distance to Tennessee.

The local clubs in my State don't really prepare you for the target distance that was at Winter Range this year, but there is plenty of variety in the local club scenarios (well for most clubs in the State). You'll see some running between props, clay fliers, moving targets, etc....only difference is the target distance. Most local clubs don't give the shooter the option of long gun placement or options to shoot the scenario as was given at Winter Range. I really like way the stages were written at WR and at EOT, giving the shooter options for gun placement and options for how to shoot the stage. I would really like to see more of the local clubs doing this. The folks who write the scenarios for WR and EOT really do a bang up job with the options! Awesome! The target size and distance at WR wasn't our preference, but to each his own. From "my" observation, shooters prefer hitable targets for Action shooting; removes the frustration factor.

For our local clubs, targets are not set up to be in your face like Bordertown and the targets are not far out like at Winter Range. They are a good, standard size (mixture of 16x16 to 16x20) and at a reasonable hitable distance. I occasionally like to shoot in your face targets, but I'm also ok with shooting targets just a little further out.

I'd like to see the local clubs set up stages for the preparation for EOT and Winter Range, but CAS is about entertaining the masses, not just the top shooters or the newer shooters. It's best to setup stages that will satisfy the majority of the shooting audience.

Local matches are put on so that attendees, club members and others can have fun. If a given club has members known to be going to a particular type of big match, it would seem fun for everyone to shoot stages as close as possible to the upcoming big match. That does not mean do it several times, but once per year would be fun for most all. If the upcoming match was say Bordertown, then as big of targets possible and as close as possible would be fun for most all. If the upcoming match equated to a state level match with tiny distant targets, then a monthly before the state level match several members were planning to attend should be fun for most all. If there are several members planning to attend WR then a match before WR would be fun for all to see what WR stages might be like and serve as practice for those planning to attend. Now the down side, I know of at least a couple of monthlies before WR that advertise themselves as WR warm up matches held states distant from WR. These are hosted by individuals that have never been to WR and only use scenarios similar to or old WR scenarios. I know for a fact that these matches have no practical benefit for upcoming WR shooters as the target sizes small and distances much greater are not even close to WR. I know of others that are very close to WR stages and very helpful for everyone to see what WR stages are like.

Every match is practice, IMO. I enjoy the dressing up as a cowboy and spending time with folks that I enjoy being around. Some matches that I attend could be called practice matches for larger matches and they're just as fun as the rest. I do enjoy watching top shooters ply their talents and hone their abilities at these local matches.

The purpose of a local match is community. And we all have to start somewhere, and we all go as far as we want to go in this sport. For some of us shooting lots of local matches is living the dream, for others regionals and larger matches are the dream. There's plenty of cowboy to go around for all of us.

Local matches are for getting new shooters into the game and teaching them to play safely. Considering our regional shoot is 1200 miles, the divisional shoot is 1200 miles, and WR is 1000 miles good luck attempting to attend anything above a state level match with any regularity.

Local matches are for getting new shooters into the game and teaching them to play safely. Considering our regional shoot is 1200 miles, the divisional shoot is 1200 miles, and WR is 1000 miles good luck attempting to attend anything above a state level match with any regularity.

Especially if you are not retired and are still working.

Local matches are where we go to shoot and hang out with alot of really great folks. I could go on and on about why I do this and what I get from it but I think I'll just say "It's way better than golf!"

One of the things I have enjoyed with local matches is the varied "personality" of each.

Not too long ago, one club preferred nice size targets but at a little longer ranges. Another had nice straight-forward stages with targets big and close. Another had more "thinking stages" with a variety of target placement. And a couple other clubs had a mix of those.

So it was fun to get to shoot the variety, even if I didn't like one type all the time.

And I do like when stages give you options, but I have heard other shooters say,"Just tell me what to shoot when" because they didn't want to have to think so hard at a match.

The variety made it great to help new shooters. Have them learn on simple, straight forward stages with very hit-able targets, then they could try more difficult shoots to advance their skills - if they wanted to.

Some shooters want to prepare for larger matches. So we try to accommodate that if we know what is needed to help.

Many years ago, some folks in a few states such as Florida discovered that people actually enjoy shooting fast. That idea spread to much of the South East. Just as Border Town spread the idea. And that is great fun!

But we still like having a variety according to the local clubs as well.

As to the idea that the National Championship must be more difficult, I have some trouble with that idea.

For example in the Olympics, the 100 meter dash is still 100 meters. It is not 110 meters because it is the Olympics. In basket ball, is the hoop set 2 feet higher?

In football is the field at the Super Bowl a different size? Should it have hills?

The challenge is the competition, not a modified race per se.

Now to make some allowance, in golf, there are extra some challenging courses and that is great.

So if a match wants to be know as a really harder course, that is fine. But do not favor such merely because it is known as the State, National, or World Championship, etc.

For me, it's time to practice, see friends, laugh and enjoy the day and of course "hug the girls"....lol. Preparation for a big match is way down the line. In some cases there are folks that only shoot locally and never go to the "bigger" matches and for them it's all the entertainment they need.

I enjoy going to other clubs to see how they do things and to find ways to improve our own club. Damn I love this sport.

KK

One of the things I have enjoyed with local matches is the varied "personality" of each.

Not too long ago, one club preferred nice size targets but at a little longer ranges. Another had nice straight-forward stages with targets big and close. Another had more "thinking stages" with a variety of target placement. And a couple other clubs had a mix of those.

So it was fun to get to shoot the variety, even if I didn't like one type all the time.

And I do like when stages give you options, but I have heard other shooters say,"Just tell me what to shoot when" because they didn't want to have to think so hard at a match.

The variety made it great to help new shooters. Have them learn on simple, straight forward stages with very hit-able targets, then they could try more difficult shoots to advance their skills - if they wanted to.

Some shooters want to prepare for larger matches. So we try to accommodate that if we know what is needed to help.

Many years ago, some folks in a few states such as Florida discovered that people actually enjoy shooting fast. That idea spread to much of the South East. Just as Border Town spread the idea. And that is great fun!

But we still like having a variety according to the local clubs as well.

As to the idea that the National Championship must be more difficult, I have some trouble with that idea.

For example in the Olympics, the 100 meter dash is still 100 meters. It is not 110 meters because it is the Olympics. In basket ball, is the hoop set 2 feet higher?

In football is the field at the Super Bowl a different size? Should it have hills?

The challenge is the competition, not a modified race per se.

Now to make some allowance, in golf, there are extra some challenging courses and that is great.

So if a match wants to be know as a really harder course, that is fine. But do not favor such merely because it is known as the State, National, or World Championship, etc.

Good post Marauder

A statement in one of the Winter Range threads got me to wondering about this. The statement was that if clubs want their shooters to be ready for bigger matches such as Winter Range they need to start varying target distances, heights and sizes. They also need to have a variety of movement and allow for a bit more shooters choice type scenarios. If the purpose of local matches truly is to prepare the club's shooters for bigger matches then I completely agree with the above but, is this the purpose of local matches? What's your take, do you go to your local matches simply to enjoy that match or do you use them as practice for bigger matches?

Yes...............why does it have to be one or the other?

Marauder,

I believe what Shooting Bull was referring too, from a recent threat concerning WR, was that the course of fire for WR was a bit more difficult than the usual Big & Close Monthly matches. So those people that shot/practiced only on local monthlies and Big & Close ranges were a bit unnerved and didn't do as well. Their practice routine was insufficient for placing as well at those Big National/World Matches. Especially in the past, the Big Match was more typical to the popular Monthlies.

The folks that did well, traveled extensively to see a variety of matches and usually attended several State & Above Matches during the year and previous years. They put in the time, money, and effort, and only the cream of that crop rose to excellence. As should be.

Should State and/or Above Matches be more difficult is kinda their question? Or so what I think they are saying.

Yes, monthlies are 10-10-4 course of fire and so was WR, but there are ways to increase the degree of difficulty, such as can be seen in World Class competitions in gymnastics, swim/diving, golf, Tour de France cycling, mountain biking, extreme games, nearly all auto racing, to name a few.

By no means am I bashing WR organization or any other match.

So, should Monthlies be more difficult to better prepare the few for the Biggies? Club by Club decision but really, It has already been answered.

An interesting topic,

A time honored question. And one that has as much relevance today as in 1985, when I started. IMO, a club has at least 3 functions. 1st and foremost, it exists as a place for like interested folks to gather, shoot together and introduce new folks to the sport. 2ndly as a place to allow both new shooters and more experienced folks to hone their skills and knowledge of the rules. 3rd, a venue to experiment with new ideas, and challenge ourselves to improve our skills.

As humans it is a normal response to resist change, yet without change, we tend to stagnate and boredom sets in. We accept change at different rates. The secret to success having a balance of repetition where shooters can gain confidence and hone their skills, and of experimentation and challenge to allow growth and improvement. Where that balance point is, is like a moving target that's constantly in motion.

A National Championship should be more difficult. Just like in golf at the US Open..."We are not trying to frustrate the best (shooters), we are trying to identify them."

And that philosophy is why many, if not most golfers prize the US Open trophy more than any other tournament.

As to the original question, I go to local matches because I enjoy making smoke. I'm not practicing for any future match.

Archived