SASS Wire Forum

5,000 Rounds?

DocWard

In this morning's raid in Paris, police were reported to have fired 5,000 rounds, which resulted in the deaths of two terrorists (one of which blew herself up), and the arrests of eight others.

Is it just me, or does 5,000 seem a wee bit excessive? For me, a standard combat load was 7, 30 round magazines, or 210 rounds. By my math, that is the equivalent of two squads burning through their entire combat load.

Doc:

Emotions running a bit high, ya think?

LL

That was actually my initial thought, and still a good one.

I don't have a problem with it myself; assuming they have a lot more ammo in reserve.

Since I'm going to assume they didn't hit the two dead 5000 times, that leaves a whole lot of unaccounted rounds flying around.

That was actually my initial thought, and still a good one.

Since I'm going to assume they didn't hit the two dead 5000 times, that leaves a whole lot of unaccounted rounds flying around.

Maybe. What we don't know is how many rounds it actually took to put the enemy down.

Not at all excessive. Actually pretty good. I don't remember the site right now, but our military did a study on the number of rounds expended per casualty. The number was astounding. Good thing the French guys didn't have Artillery.

In the heat of a fire fight, expending rounds is routine. When your adrenaline rush pegs your fun meter, it's actually hard to hit anything. Been there, Done that. Didn't get a T-Shirt. Just a bunch of shrapnel.

Coffinmaker

In this morning's raid in Paris, police were reported to have fired 5,000 rounds, which resulted in the deaths of two terrorists (one of which blew herself up), and the arrests of eight others.

Is it just me, or does 5,000 seem a wee bit excessive? For me, a standard combat load was 7, 30 round magazines, or 210 rounds. By my math, that is the equivalent of two squads burning through their entire combat load.

Excessive? They went in very heavy, got their dog killed (friendly fire?), and decided they'd had enough. 10k rounds wouldn't have been excessive. The philosophy of "Kill'em all; let God sort'em out!" seems to have been at work today. Maybe the only reason they took any of them alive is to sweat Intel out of them (that's going to be ugly for those birds). As you may have heard (I heard this), the woman called to the police/security forces that she was surrendering, then she began shooting when she got close, then detonated a suicide vest/belt as she closed in.

Maybe. What we don't know is how many rounds it actually took to put the enemy down.

Since we know only one was killed by police fire, one blew herself up, and eight were arrested, we have a total of ten. I have not heard if any of the arrested were wounded. Even if each of the arrestees was shot 100 times, the one who blew herself up an additional 100 times, and the dead guy 200 times, thats only 1,100 rounds accounted for.

Not at all excessive. Actually pretty good. I don't remember the site right now, but our military did a study on the number of rounds expended per casualty. The number was astounding. Good thing the French guys didn't have Artillery.

In the heat of a fire fight, expending rounds is routine. When your adrenaline rush pegs your fun meter, it's actually hard to hit anything. Been there, Done that. Didn't get a T-Shirt. Just a bunch of shrapnel.

Coffinmaker

I think that study includes the use of suppressive fire and the like in large scale combat situations. And yes, I know about pegging the adreno-meter. Amazing how you can do so much, remember some things as if etched in your brain in slow motion, yet not remember other things at all. Or at least me.

Excessive? They went in very heavy, got their dog killed (friendly fire?), and decided they'd had enough. 10k rounds wouldn't have been excessive. The philosophy of "Kill'em all; let God sort'em out!" seems to have been at work today. Maybe the only reason they took any of them alive is to sweat Intel out of them (that's going to be ugly for those birds). As you may have heard (I heard this), the woman called to the police/security forces that she was surrendering, then she began shooting when she got close, then detonated a suicide vest/belt as she closed in.

I had heard something to that effect.

It was not a quick surgical strike. It was a messy firefight that lasted an extended time as I understand it.

Several years ago, I read that during the Napoleonic Wars the casualty rate inflicted upon enemy troops by musketry was about 2 percent of shots fired. It also said that in Modern Warfare it takes the weight of a man in bullets to inflict one enemy casualty. (I can't verify the veracity of these statistics.)

From our post-Ambush At Cavern Cove newsletter:

"Over 32000 rounds went down range at Ambush and no one was injured."

Although a lot of steel was certainly killed graveyard dead!

I haven't found the actual GAO report yet, but I checked the link to the Belfast Telegraph, and other online sources, which seemed to parrot the same story. It appears number includes bullets used in training, which would seem to me to increase the number exponentially.

"The Department of Defense's increased requirements for small- and medium-calibre ammunitions have largely been driven by increased weapons training requirements, dictated by the army's transformation to a more self-sustaining and lethal force - which was accelerated after the attacks of 11 September, 2001 - and by the deployment of forces to conduct recent US military actions in Afghanistan and Iraq," said the report by the General Accounting Office (GAO).

They shot 5,000 rounds because that's all they had. Who cares? Justice was served. Move on.

Don't forget, the terrorists were not standing in the open, motionless, like a paper target on the range.

I agree. So suppressive fire? Otherwise, a lot of rounds blindly going down range in an urban center. If it was, as Bob indicated, a messy firefight, then it begins to make more sense. Particularly the suppressive fire part.

Seems like 5,000 rds is a lot of rounds down range for case in point.

Unless they were shooting back, and I never heard if they were or not.

Dog was killed by friendly fire. surprising non terrorist didn't get shot up with bullets going through walls and such.

they could've made a public announcement in the street for all to evaculate and check whomever left building.....then bombed the building to get the rest.

It was not a quick surgical strike. It was a messy firefight that lasted an extended time as I understand it.

At 5K rounds, it should've lasted a couple of days.

Or, maybe we now know why there was an ammo shortage a few months ago in US. If it took 5k rounds to put down 2 suspects; just think how much ammo they use up practicin'............... :blush:

If the roles would have been reversed......the bad guy would have done the same thing. Good on the French, I hope the only reason they fired 5K rounds is because they ran out of ammo.

I don't remember the site right now, but our military did a study on the number of rounds expended per casualty.

The Govt Accounting Office estimated that 230,000 rounds were shot to kill 1 Iraqi insurgent

Sounds like Los Angeles to me.

Let's remember we are talking about the French. At 2500 rounds per causality they will probably ger marksmanship badges and then be censured for using the Army's entire yearly allotment of ammunition. :) It's a joke guys, just a joke!

Based on Doc Ward's calculation of 1100 hits, I figure that mean 3900 misses. That's gonna be a lousy stage time! I woner if the Aces software will bind up on the entry.

The shot count estimate for the gunfight that ended Bonnie and Clyde's 'career' is 130 rounds. Most of these were shot with lever action rifles and revolvers. Frank Hammer reported shot four times and hit both bandits in the head. The other shooters reported seeing him smoking a cigarette when the firing ceased.

Archived