SASS Wire Forum

Okay, what was the first firearm you ever BOUGHT?

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

The very first one I bought was a .22 High Standard Supermatic with half of the front blade gone. :mellow:

I bought it to carry along when checking traps before and after school. I paid $35 cash and got a Hunter leather holster for it too.

I had it with me all through high school (literally). I recollect I traded it for a S&W M29 8-3/8" in blue(?) after a few years.

Mustang Gregg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bolt action Marlin .22 with a peep sight and a leather sling. I'm thinking I was 12 or 13 and I bought it myself. Ammo was $.35-.50 a box of 50 at the local gas station. I sold it later to raise money for the band.

Awwww, crap! It was supposed to say, "WHAT was the first firearm you ever bought?".I've got a glitch with this keyboard that jumps the cursor all over the page and backs up the cursor on it's own. I didn't find the goof until it was all posted. :angry:

The very first one I bought was a .22 High Standard Supermatic with half of the front blade gone. :mellow:

I bought it to carry along when checking traps before and after school. I paid $35 cash and got a Hunter leather holster for it too.

I had it with me all through high school (literally). I recollect I traded it for a S&W M29 8-3/8" in blue(?) after a few years.

Mustang Gregg

A Hawes western marshall .22 /.22 mag., and still have it...........had a trap line also.........

At the ntender age of 15 I was working at a Shell station. The owner purchased a Model 29 from a high school friend who was a collector (gatherer) of S&W's. I liked the looks so much that I had him sell me a NIB Model 19 Combat Master(?),6 inch for the price of $189, no tax.

A bolt action, Marlin Glenfield Model 25 in .22 caliber. I still have it....

The first gun I ever bought formyself, with my own money was a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 semi-auto .22. I put a cheap K-Mart scope on it and set about murdering more squirrels than my buddies with Rugers and Brownings with "quality" scopes. Loaned the rifle to a friend, who loaned it to his neighbor, who moved away with it. :angry: I recently purchased a mint example and mounted a vintage K-Mart scope on it. :wub:

The first gun I ever bought was a 12ga, 870 and it was the first gun I ever sold.Kicked the poot out of me.

Awwww, crap! It was supposed to say, "WHAT was the first firearm you ever bought?".

I've got a glitch with this keyboard that jumps the cursor all over the page and backs up the cursor on it's own. I didn't find the goof until it was all posted. :angry:

Mustang Gregg

Ruger Super Single Six Convertible, which unfortunately I no longer have.

A Ruger Blackawk in .357 with a 4 5/8" barrel. Even though I shoot .44-40 for cowboy I wish I still had that gun.

Rye

In 1990 - Pietta 1858 Remington Cap&Ball w/ adjustable target sights - $99 from the Cabelas catalog

Was living in Longview, TX at the time and became a member of the Sabine Valley Muzzleloaders.

After that my uncle gave me a .50 cal Hawken kit which I built :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My 1st gun was a bolt action .22.

A Mossburg 144LS. Purchased it on layaway at Montgomery Wards in Wheaton, Maryland around 1961.

Still have it and always will.

My 10th birthday present was he privilage to buy a "cowboy gun". A Ruger Single Six, cost me $65.00. This was in 1963. Still have it. Carried it daily after school. Wore out two good holsters. Wish I had all the .22's that went out the end of the barrel. Never got a "big gun" till 1975.

Numa

First gun was a colt '60 replica I bought as a theater prop just sold it to a cowboy who could use it. Never even loaded it. First gun I used was a Taurus 357 blued sold it a long time ago.

My mom and dad gave me my first few guns as I was too young to buy them myself. The first one I bought was a limited run Vaquero. It had gold scroll engraving on the cylinder, white corian grips, 5 1/2 barrel, blued with faux color case and in ,45 lc.

I didn't shoot it a lot and traded it off to buy a Glock 27.

KQ

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy, I bought a lee enfield in 303 british sporterized, then traded for a savage 99 in 300 savage, then a very used Remington 870 in 12 gauge no rib on barrel. It was tough times in the 60's to be buying too many guns.

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

The first gun I bought was a Colt New Service in 45 Colt, 7 1/2" barrel and Ivory Grips. It was a nice gun, 80-85% blue. I found it in a little store and the owner thought the ivories were fake (he was wrong) so it was not as expensive as it should have been. It was also back in the day when 45 Colt was a bit of an orphan. I sold it on when I was in the gun business.

I still have the first gun I owned, a 3 1/2" S&W ".357 Magnum," which I was given when I turned 18.

I also still own the first gun I shot (on my 5th birthday) a 4" 1952 Colt Trooper in 22lr, with ivory grips.

Both shoot like ray-guns, but that may just be the result of a lifetime of practice with them.

When I was 12 I had a paper route and saved enough money ($125) to by a slightly used Remington 870 Wingmaster (12g) shotgun from the local Billups gas station in Lake Charles, LA, corner of 3rd Avenue and Broad St. I shot a lot of ducks in the marshes of South Louisiana with that gun and still have it today. My dad never really hunted or fished but his brother, my Uncle Raymond did, and I'm thankful to him for dragging me along with his son through the marshes to teach me how to shoot ducks and handle a gun safely.

As I stated on the first post .

My First new gun I ever bought was a Ruger supper Blackhawk 44 mag :blink:

Remington Nylon 66, chrome and black. I still have a couple of them. One just like the first.

Fillmore

First gun: Remington 870 Wingmaster, 30" full choke. Bought at the K-Mart I was at the time working at,which was my first job. This was 1985, and this specific gun was on clearance for $205.00

First Handgun: Colt M1911 makde in 1913. Bought it soon after turning 21 and got my pistol permit. In 1988, I paid $400.00 for it at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine

First Rifle: Springfield M1898 Krag rifle in "Phillipine Constabulary" configuration. Purchased in 1985 at a long gone, and missed gun shop called Tom's Handloading. Neither Tom, nor any of the experts I at the time knew, had any idea why what we assumed was a sporterized rifle had been done so to retain it's military look. Don't remember the exact price, but it was "Less than what you would pay for a Ruger 10/22" at the time.

Still have them all. :)

Archived