SASS Wire Forum

Okay, what was the first firearm you ever BOUGHT?

Mustang Gregg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember the brand name - or if the gun even had one. I was 12 years old in 1959 and tried to pull a fast one on my folks who wouldn't let me have a handgun. I ordered a .22 cheapo pistol for $8.00 out of an add in the back of a magazine ... can't remember what magazine either except that it was some kind of macho adventure magazine, not a gun magazine. When it arrived, the front sight sat at about a 45 degree angle and the gun seemed to be made of pot metal. Even at 12 years old I was smart enough to know it wasn't safe and never even fired it. At the same time I had an old hand-me-down little Stevens rolling block .22 rifle that had a broken firing pin and that I kept making firing pins for from nails with a file.

It was a Mossberg model 340KA bolt action 22 rifle. Shot good back in '59 and still shoots great today. Used it last year to dispatch a distemper infected racoon in the back yard. :blush:

Deadeye Dingus :FlagAm:

October 2001, I was living alone and bought my first gun..... a 9mm Russian Makarov, then a .22 rifle and scope. Still have them. Still shoot them.

Miss Cubbie

A single-shot .22rf, bolt-action J.C. Higgins from the kid across the street, for $5. I think I was about 13 or 14. It must have had thousands of round through it when I bought it, and I put many thousands more through it. It got to the point where it was spitting back in my face. By that time, I was 18, and picked up an M-1 Garand. $79.95 from Klein's Sporting Goods...in downtown Chicago! Next was a used Winchester M-70 in .30-06 for hunting. Put a Weaver K-4 on it. Can't recall what it cost. First handgun was Dad's M1911A1...no charge! Also a Luger that I stupidly traded off on a calculator when those things cost about the same as the pistol! :blush: Wish I still had them all...

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America and the Second Ammendment! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Archived