SASS Wire Forum

Okay, what was the first firearm you ever BOUGHT?

Mustang Gregg

Despite being introduced to shooting at an early age (see the other thread about "What is the first gun you shot"), I didn't actually purchase a firearm myself until I was 32. A friend had introduced me to the relatively new sport of handgun metallic silhouette shooting and I went out and purchased a new S&W Model 27, 8-3/8" barrel, in an oak presentation case.

I still have the gun (selling a firearm has been a relatively rare occurrence for me) and, despite taking lots of steel chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams, it's still tight and in, at least, 98% condition.

Regards, TJH

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember exactly, but it was either a Lyman 1858 Remington in .36, a Colt Lightning revo in .41 (ammo was still available when I bought it) or a Broomhandle Mauser. I got them all pretty close together.

When I was 12 I had a paper route and saved enough money ($125) to by a slightly used Remington 870 Wingmaster (12g) shotgun from the local Billups gas station in Lake Charles, LA, corner of 3rd Avenue and Broad St. I shot a lot of ducks in the marshes of South Louisiana with that gun and still have it today. My dad never really hunted or fished but his brother, my Uncle Raymond did, and I'm thankful to him for dragging me along with his son through the marshes to teach me how to shoot ducks and handle a gun safely.

I remember that place. Gas and guns - one stop shopping!

Bucky

In about 61 or 62 I went to a antique store and bought a 73 Winchester, short rifle, 44-40, Bull barrel, mountain sights. It has no case coloring and no dust cover. Paid $25 dollars and spent the next two weeks looking for ammunition for it, found half a box, shot it then put it in the gun cabinet. Did not take it out untill five years ago to shoot CAS. I still have it and have been told it is worth a little more then $25 now.

Old Top

Guest Hardly Dangerous Updated

A small .22 revolver from K-Mart for about $25.95. I think it was a Roehm? or something like that. After 6 shots the metal would start to heat up and bind. Started me on my career of missing targets. With much practice I have progressed to where I can now miss faster with more expensive firearms.

S $ W model 19. First duty weapon. I was only 20 at the time, so my Mother had to buy it :lol: That was 1972. Bought and sold several others since. Should probably sell it, too.

Remington 870 express supermag at 18. Sig Sauer P220ST at 21. Already had a gaggle of single action revolvers by then as Dad thought they were safer and a better influence for a young kid. As I look back on it I am grateful for the generosity and good judgement he displayed.

I bought a 22/22mag Ruger 3 screw cowboy gun when I was 16. (my dad had to hand the guy the money:)

Still have it 30 years later.

First gun I "bought" was a Marlin model 60 at a yard sale many years ago. Also long gone. First "rifle" I had was a fully functional toy that actually shot projectiles. Can you imagine that in Toys R Us today? Cartridges have been lost as the years have gone, but the gun is still with me after 50+ years. Any body else have one of these? Or have any original rifle cartridges you wish to sell?? Below are some snapshots: Been a cowboy since a very young age.......

Johhny Eagle Red River

another

and another

and finally

TT

The first gun I bought was a Marlin Model 60.

First Pistol was a Springfield 1911 in 1987. Turned 21 and down to local gun store I went. I still have that Springfield.

Ruger New Model Super Single Six Convertible, about $75 new back in 1973, when I was 22.

I still shoot it.

My friends talked me into this and out of what I really wanted, for about the same price: a Universal Enforcer M-1 pistol in .30 carbine. I held them both and they both spoke to me, but the price of ammo was the deciding factor.

Still not sure if I made the best choice...... :rolleyes:

In 1958 Remington 552A Semiauto Rifle 22 cal (shorts,longs, long rifles). Shot several 10s of thousands of rounds through it. Still accurate, never misses a lick. Grandsons like to shoot it.

22 semi auto rifle with a squirrel engraved on the side of the reciever,it had a knot hole on the right side of the stock where you loaded the shells and it was a squirrel getter.Wished i could find another like it,anyone familiar with that one?

Was it a Browning .22 auto-loader like this? http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/images-by-title-name/Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I-MID-021001-l.jpg or this http://gastatic.com/UserImages/3784/904061657/wm_3593108.jpg

Big Jake

I was a freshman in college and on my own for the first time. I stopped in a pawn shop in eastern Iowa and there was a nice Ruger 10/22. I bought it right away. I still have it and shoot it all the time.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Ruger Super Single Six with a 6 1/2" barrel. Great gun that is now in Ohio at my ex wifes house

Crossman 1337 Classic Pump Pistol... purchased around 1984 with my own money. ;)

My first true firearm (even tho my home state considers air guns firearms) was a Ruger New Vaquero, 5.5" bbl, SS, .357/.38spl purchased last year. I've been shooting since I was 13 (or so), but I had always gone shooting with friends and family, so I just shot theirs (and picked up the cost of ammo in later years). I finally figured I should cowboy up (as it were) and get my own FOID and guns. So, I didn't actually purchase one until last year. ...Sometimes I wonder why I waited so long. :wacko:

For Christmas when I was seven (1960 in AK) got a Remington Fieldmaster mod 572 pump in 22. Still have it.

Bought a .410 bolt gun with my own paper money at age 11, gone can't remember when

Bought a 98K about 66 or 67 from a gun magazine. They shipped it directly to me... sold it in 1980

At 16 bought my dads Win model 12 in 16 ga for $20. He found out I got a good deal a couple years later. Still have it.

Very close,but all it had was one squirrel siting on his huanches on the reciever left hand side if i remember right,the knot hole looke more like a real knot hole not quite as elongated.

An FIE( I think was the importer back then, or some other early importer of SAA .22's) SAA .22 i bought at a hardware store in Atlanta, with a cowboy rig..I have no idea what ever happened to it

I do remember i paid about $40 for the whole package that included a brick of ammo...around 1965

Very close,but all it had was one squirrel siting on his huanches on the reciever left hand side if i remember right,the knot hole looke more like a real knot hole not quite as elongated.

Squirrel logo sounds like one of Marlin's "price leader" Glenfield store brand model line.

It was a Winchester Model 12 in 12 gauge with a solid rib. Bought it after my first full summer of work on the farm and I was about 13. Paid about $100. It was a wonderfeul duck gun. Then in a fit of stupidity, I sent it off to have a Poly Choke installed. Could never hit well with it again. I think the installation affected it the placement of the bead. I know about pinting but the cheek weld and bead are important in pass shooting. Then in a second fit of stupidity I traded it on a Fox Model B because I'd heard too much about the wonders of a double barrel. About a year ago I spotted a nice Model 12 in a pawn shop and brought it home. No rib, but it's a nice nostalgia piece.

It was a Browning Challenger .22 auto pistol. Bought it in 1964 for $64.00. Still have it. A year later I bought my first cowboy gun, a Ruger Single Six .22/.22 Mag. which I also still have - got a mate for it 3 years ago.

I saved up $50 in paper route money for a used High Standard Sport King .22 semi-auto pistol displayed in Ken Coatney's Sporting Goods store in Pueblo, Colorado, 1961. I gave Dad the money and he bought it for me. It accompanied me as my high school classmates and I terrorized the small game animals in southeastern Colorado.

Sold it 5 years later to a co-worker on a summer job for $75. I thought I made a killing.

Geez I wish I had it back.

Springfield XDm-9 in December 2008 (at the age of 55); had several other as gifts, but no purchases until then. (BTW, in the last 3 years I've made up for it.)

I'd never been into shooting in my life. My first assignment in the Air Force was Okinawa, Japan. My supervisor was BIGTIME into shooting sports. I started reading his magazines and got hooked. Just from pictures and articles I fell in love with the Colt Python. Upon my return to the states and my re-enlistment (which included a nice bonus) I went straight out and bought a six inch nickle plated Python. Still have it and will till the day I die.

Archived