SASS Wire Forum

Buffalo Soldier Gun Cart

Yul Lose

I met Non Stop a number of years ago at EOT in New Mexico and over subsequent EOTs I’ve got to know him as good as you can get to know someone seeing them once a year for 2-3 hours over a 5 day period or so. We kind of formed a friendship and last year at EOT we talked a lot about the Buffalo Soldiers and their roll in the old west.

He showed me some pictures of some of the Buffalo Soldier artwork that he’s got in his house back in Texas. I had delivered the Blazing Saddles gun cart to some Texas folks the day before that he knew and I mentioned that a Buffalo Soldiers themed gun cart like that one might be pretty cool, he agreed. I told him that I’d probably build one someday.

On the drive back home after EOT I thought about that a lot and working with a shooting pard of his, I got it built. The hard part was keeping it quiet so he’d be surprised at EOT, Misty Moonshine was kind enough to let me present it to him at the Grand opening Wednesday evening.

I don’t know how it got omitted but Double Diamond deserves a whole bunch of credit on this build. The leather LOCAS, Regulator and all of the leatherwork was done by him. I call his work the makeup on a pretty lady, it just makes my work so much better.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_4781.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

A few more pictures.

IMG_4799.jpeg

IMG_4789.jpeg

IMG_4046.jpeg

IMG_4047.jpeg

IMG_4782.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Very cool!  Congratulations Non Stop on a beautiful piece of art!  Conceived and executed wonderfully.

• Like 2

A few more.

IMG_4786.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4796.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Yul,

One more great example of your craftsmanship. Top notch.

• Like 5

Stunning, well executed.

• Like 2

Yul:

You never cease to amaze me with your craftsmanship. That cart is very functional; and a work of art. I think I'd be afraid to use it, but i would want everyone to see  it as a tribute to our early military.  Great work.   

• Like 1

Beautiful cart, Yul.

And a very fitting tribute to the Buffalo Soldiers and their contributions to our country.

And to Non Stop - to be held in as high esteem as Yul holds you is the greatest compliment.  Congratulations on your new work of art.

• Like 5

Beautiful tribute to a fine unit. I served in the 1/10 Cavalry at Ft Carson in 1985. Of the several Cav units I served in, the 1/10 Buffalo Soldiers was the proudest of their heritage.

• Like 3

I am lucky that we have been able to shoot with Non-Stop for a number of years now.

We hold him in very high regard. Can't think of anyone that deserves it more.

And that fact that it can help bring attention to the Buffalo Soldiers story makes it

even more assume.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

How do you get each cart you make to look better than the last one?  Wonderful work!

Thank you, my goal is to try to build the next one better than the last one.

1 hour ago, Wrangler Bob said:

Yul:

You never cease to amaze me with your craftsmanship. That cart is very functional; and a work of art. I think I'd be afraid to use it, but i would want everyone to see  it as a tribute to our early military.  Great work.   

Thank you and Non Stop says that cart will never see a range.

• Like 1

I have had the pleasure of shooting with him and he is a top notch cowboy who deserves this fine cart. I can see him showing it off for years to come.

TM

• Like 1

Yet another piece of fine furniture masquerading as a gun cart.....well done Yul.

Kajun

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

... and Non Stop says that cart will never see a range.

Well darn, I was thinking that I'm sure to see it in person when he comes to the Texas state match in May.  Guess I'll have to settle for pictures.  I do get to drool over see Big Iron Patnode's (it was for CoJack) Yul cart regularly.  :)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well darn, I was thinking that I'm sure to see it in person when he comes to the Texas state match in May.  Guess I'll have to settle for pictures.  I do get to drool over see Big Iron Patnode's (it was for CoJack) Yul cart regularly.  :)

You folks from Texas could prolly bribe him to bring it, just sayin, but bring a lot of money.:o

• Haha 3

I was there. Words can't explain the emotion that surrounded that presentation. The love, respect, and admiration that we all feel for our fellow cowboy shooters was overwhelming in the tent that night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wish I could've been there for that presentation. Absolutely awesome!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

I was there. Words can't explain the emotion that surrounded that presentation. The love, respect, and admiration that we all feel for our fellow cowboy shooters was overwhelming in the tent that night.

I really appreciated you and Misty allowing this into the program. I know everyone had a long day and wanted to be well rested for match day 1, but a lot of people there thought that that was very nice of you two to do that.

• Like 3

I’ve got some videos but I have no idea how to get them to play here, maybe Kid Ricky Bobby or Rusty Remington can post them, they are the ones that sent them to me.

• Like 2

Wow!  Just WOW!  Very nice and well deserved.  I got to watch Non Stop shoot some awesome stages today as our posse was behind his.  Great shooter.

Roper

• Like 1

My first big match was Comancheria Days in 2000.  I was on Non-Stop and Gunzilla's posse.  Seeing the camaraderie between those two and all the laughs, I was spoiled for life.  :)

• Like 3

I’ve said it before…and probably will again…Yul is not a woodworker….he is a wood magician 

• Like 1

The pictures are great, but the cart is truly incredible in person. As always, Yul seems to outdo himself with every cart. I first met Non Stop and had the privilege to shoot with him in 2018. I am honored to call him a friend. 

• Like 2