SASS Wire Forum

Favorite

Okiepan

Honestly, I can't remember back that far.

Don't recall having my Mom read to me.

Never got into comic books.

I guess the first I know of were paper back books starting with this series....

il_794xN.4523711959_4mo5.thumb.jpg.f1117d0ecf2241a4146b2192f69391bf.jpg

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
Pic size

Loved Jack London

Mom and one of my aunts went in on several of his works and would give me one for my birthday and one for Christmas over several years. I would stay up all night to finish a chapter/book. Gave them to my brother and lost track of where they went from there.

Obviously "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang" but also "The Star Rover" and "The Scarlet Plague" were all favorites

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein.  My older cousin loaned me his copy when I was 7 years old and I've been a Sci-Fi fan ever since.

The movie was a sucky adaptation of the novel.  As usual.

• Like 4

"Paddle to the Sea" through maybe 4th grade 

The I found the Edgar Rice Burrows "Princess of Mars" series and got hooked on science fiction. 

Devoured Azimov, Heinlein, Anderson, Norton, et al.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I managed to collect all but one or two Doc Savage books in paperback but I don't remember which one was the first I read.

My first favorites weren't books but comic strips: Out Our Way, Lil Abner, Our Boarding House, Blackhawk, and some others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein.  My older cousin loaned me his copy when I was 7 years old and I've been a Sci-Fi fan ever since.

I was (and still am) a Heinlein fan:  Farnham's Freehold is my favorite and I still read it every couple of years.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I was (and still am) a Heinlein fan:  Farnham's Freehold is my favorite and I still read it every couple of years.

They hold up well as time passes, still fun to read even today.

• Like 1

I read so much as a kid I actually cannot pick my one favorite book.

If I had to pick just one, the book or books that I loved most were the several books Samual Clemons wrote about Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

I read LOTS of science fiction. Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov were my favorite author in that genre.
I read books about mountain men, in particular Kit Carson. I read his autobiography.
I read books about WW2 and for a long time my dream job was to be a tail gunner. 
I loved Mad Magazine too!

• Like 1

This thread drew up a memory.

We were living in a compound. 6 acres - most of it swamp - and three trailers. We lived in one. Her brother and his family lived in the second one. And her parents lived in the third one. And we had been out there for 4 or 5 years, and it had long been obvious to me that I was paying more than a third, but nothing was in my name. So I decided we would write that off as a bad decision, and go find someplace else to live. And I went house hunting.

About the time we were moving out of the trailer to the house we just bought, her sister and her two kids showed up. Her husband had traded her in on a younger model and had kicked the three of them out. So she come back home to Mom and Dad, and wasn't it nice there was a convenient empty trailer, so they moved in there.

A year or so later we are out there visiting her folks, and on the table in the Florida room I see a copy of The Hardy Boys The Mystery of Devil's Paw. I opened it up and look at the flyleaf, then take it over and start to toss it in the truck. My niece, who was about 12 at a time, wanted to know what I was doing with her book.

I told her it wasn't her book, it was my book. She insisted it was her book. It was her most favorite book. So I open it to the flyleaf where it says

Merry Christmas Ronnie

Love Mom and Daddy

And I showed her that and I repeated that it was my book. Apparently it had got left behind when we moved out.

And she looked so depressed that I gave it to her.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

ill say dittos to that whole statement till the books , my first real recollection of reading something i chose over something that was required was when my grandmother got me hooked on the james bond series , i read them all , 

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Heinlein is a distant (way distant) cousin - actually got me in trouble as one of my teachers was pronouncing his name like it is spelled, HineLine; when the actual pronounciation is HangLine and I felt it necessary to correct them.

I grew up a voracious reader, thanks to my Dad - lights out was always a hour or two after bedtime because I would reading something and begging "just let me finish this chapter".

And even as a preteen - Dad was always tossing his books at me when he finished them; so I grew up with an eclectic mix of Mark Twain and Jack London intermixed with Donald E Westlake, Raymond Chandler and Shakespeare.  The Hardy Boys and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Just wish I could knuckle down and finish the three novels I have half written myself.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022
  • Like 1

Lots of Zane Grey, Louis Lamour but the one that sticks out in my mind  is Moby Dick. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Heinlein is a distant (way distant) cousin - actually got me in trouble as one of my teachers was pronouncing his name like it is spelled, HineLine; when the actual pronounciation is HangLine and I felt it necessary to correct them.

I grew up a voracious reader, thanks to my Dad - lights out was always a hour or two after bedtime because I would reading something and begging "just let me finish this chapter".

And even as a preteen - Dad was always tossing his books at me when he finished them; so I grew up with an eclectic mix of Mark Twain and Jack London intermixed with Donald E Westlake, Raymond Chandler and Shakespeare.  The Hardy Boys and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Just wish I could knuckle down and finish the three novels I have half written myself.

Stay with it.  I have written seven books (not counting instruction manuals for two aerospace  companies and a few other tomes) and actually had two of them published.  Those two are my pride and joy books.

Don't die with "I wish I had......" on your lips.

• Like 1

Young kid - Charlottes Web

Pre -Teen - Huckleberry Finn/Tom Sawyer, Playboy (when I could find them).

Teen - Slaughterhouse 5, Anything about the Manson murders, some Heinlein, lots of Civil War/WWI/WWII/Korea history, Sci-Fi.

As a teen and young adult, I was a voracious reader, a ton of Sci-Fi, war history and the like. I didn't really just stop reading, it just gradually ebbed away...I guess life just got in the way. Tried to start back reading a few years ago but many books are printed with small print that is a struggle to read with even glasses on.

The last books that I read was Killing Kennedy and Killing the Rising Sun after buying them at a garage sale for $1 each. I enjoyed them and have been looking for the rest of the "Killing" series at garage sales and thrift stores for a fair price but haven't found them. I don't like reading books online or listening to them on "tape".

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

The last books that I read was Killing Kennedy and Killing the Rising Sun after buying them at a garage sale for $1 each. I enjoyed them and have been looking for the rest of the "Killing" series at garage sales and thrift stores for a fair price but haven't found them. I don't like reading books online or listening to them on "tape".

Killing Crazy Horse was great!!

23 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Killing Crazy Horse was great!!

That's one of the ones on my list! Of, course...all of them that I haven't read are on my list.

14 hours ago, Okiepan said:

What's your Favorite childhood book ?

where the wild things are ?

Harold and his purple crayon ?

Mad Magazine ?

Lord of the Rings & the Hobbit and The Road Past Mandalay.   I also read a lot of Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle and others of that time.

8 hours ago, The Blarney Kid said:

Nancy Drew

As a kid, I would not read Nancy Drew, because those were girls' books.

As an adult I started reading them, and they're not bad stories. Especially if you can find the unrevised ones - the ones written before the 50s.

As a little one, Cowboy Small.....see alias

Then it would be old yeller and savage sam and where the red fern grows.

After that would be Louis l'amour,  Robert  Roark Old Man and the Boy books and Mad Magazine. 

I was 12 and reading Frank Herbert's Dune when I heard that Elvis died.

I had been reading Andre Norton, Larry Niven, Edgar R Boroughs and othe sci-fi since about eight.