SASS Wire Forum

Remington primers-anyone use them?

Nutmeg Ryder, SASS # 74966

LGS in my area has a bunch of LPP and SPP by Remington. 

I am just a little hesitant to purchase 1k and find out they do not work in the cowboy guns. (Yes they have had work but work with Winchester and federals, I asked for them to do so as what use is a gun if it will not function) 

so does anyone use the Remington primers?  

I was able to get 800 of the Rem 1 1/2 spp. Haven't tried them yet! Figured I try them in 9mm first! Keep us posted.

Merry Christmas Nutmeg

I have used Remingtons before and just was able to get another brick. I use them only in my rifles and have had zero problems. I save and use Federals in my revolvers. 

Perfectly fine.   Never a failure for me.   Hardness about like Winchester - harder than Federal and softer than CCI in most sizes and applications.

good luck, GJ

I have used 1000's in small pistol, large pistol, large rifle and small rifle standard.  Never a problem one.......I came across a bunch for sale at a LGS that was closing and bought them all, pre Dumpster Fire (2020).  A lucky move on my part.

I bought some from Sportsmans on sale a few years ago and use them in my 45 ACP ammo.  They have consistent dimensions and no failures to fire.  The packaging is very compact, and it takes very little space in my loading room to store them.

image.png.26088c9fda9101800ea5f9f2783ee474.png

They always worked for me .

If your gun Hamer spring is to light. 

Change it out temporarily while you are using different Primers .

So Saith The Rooster 

For over 30 years they have been my primer of choice simply because they are packed in little boxes and store so well in small spaces.  Love Federals, but those bulky boxes take up too much space for what is inside them.  Never had a problem with Remington's.  Their factory loaded ammo though, I pass on.  

I bought some a few years ago to stretch my supply of Federals.  Used for practice.  Usually had 1 or 2 per 100 FTF  Funny thing I noticed the soot line on fired cases was larger than with Win or Fed.        GW

The question is, will they work in your guns? Federals are available now so call around  I would  use Federal if the guns were worked on by Jimmy.

Merry Christmas

Thanks for the replies

so I bought some. 
loaded three empty cases with just a primer and tested them one round each in the revolvers and rifle 

all fired. Loaded 100 and will range test them tomorrow. 

Yes, the last hundred I loaded 3 weeks ago all went bango, still have 500 of the last 1,000 I bought 50 years ago.

10 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I was able to get 800 of the Rem 1 1/2 spp. Haven't tried them yet! Figured I try them in 9mm first! Keep us posted.

Merry Christmas Nutmeg

Most 9mm are semi-autos, not six-guns/rifle with lightened hammer springs. Try 'em in your match pistols/rifle also before the big match!

I have found Remington large and small pistol primers to function equally as well as Federal in my lightly sprung rifles and revolvers. I avoid Winchester and CCI primers where light hammer springs are involved.

On 12/23/2023 at 12:08 PM, Michigan Slim said:

I've used a thousand SP and a thousand SR. No issues at all other than spilling 100 all over my bench.

Better than the floor where they will roll around and under anything available to hide under. LOL

TM

On 12/23/2023 at 12:05 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

Yes

YES, I use them and am working on my last 5K of #1 1/2 (spp)  Have never had an issue of any kind;  As far as running through the press and seating they are he best I have ever used.  Shooting, never a problem.

Blackfoot

I'd have to agree with Garrison Joe in that they are similar in hardness to the Winchester primers, not as soft as the Federals, but not as hard as the CCI and a few others.  I have used their shotgun primers extensively without issues, but wouldn't hesitate to load their SPP or LPP primers in any of my loads.   However, it does seem like the Federals are available these days (LLP's seem to be tougher than the SPP's)  You may have to pay a bit more to get them, but they continue to be the softest, easiest to set off primers that I know of and would seek them out first.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

Archived