SASS Wire Forum

Do people really spend that kind of money?

Alpo

NCIS episode, and Gibbs is talking to this lady lawyer. She is just told him that she does a lot of pro bono work, and he pointed to her feet and said that she didn't buy those $500 shoes doing pro bono. And she says something about, "500? These are $800 shoes."

Castle episode, and they're talking to the murderer at the end, in the reveal where they're showing how smart they are. And they tell him that, "even though you tried to get the blood off those $5,000 shoes you were wearing, you didn't get all of it".

$800 shoes? $5,000 shoes?

Do people really pay that kind of money for shoes?

I don't know about $800 or $5,000 shoes but...I was doing electrical work at a store in International Mall in Tampa and I watched a woman buy a pair of blue jeans, that looked like 15 pit bulls had played tug of war with for 2 days, for $650. Rich people don't care what something that they are buying for themselves cost.

people spend an exorbitant amount on many things - it all depends on what you are into , 

i know friends that fish that spent more on their boat and set up than i did on my house , and i know trap shooters that spent about that on their shotguns [nothing else] i dont have that money to spend that way but they apparently do , 

I look at it this way, it’s their money to do with as they please. 

I recently spend a thousand bucks on a rifle. I then spent about $300 for extra mags and scope rings. I already had the scope. 
Now, some people might say I shouldn’t have used that much money. They might think I could have bought a much cheaper rifle that could have used the same cartridges to punch .30 caliber holes just as accurately as my $1000 rifle. Which, by the way, I got for $300 under MSRP, but I would have been willing to pay MSRP for that rifle because I wanted it. 

I was talking to Barbara Mandrell’s husband, Ken one afternoon while repairing a door on his bus/motor home.

He knew that I was into guns and invited me inside to show me an over/under trap gun he’d bought for Barbara. He opened the case and tossed me the gun like it was a cheap Mossburg! 

Thank God I caught it cleanly. When he told me he’d paid nearly $95,000.00 for it, I VERY CAREFULLY  walked across the room and handed it back to him!

I spend about $200.00 / pair for Durango boots...maybe two pair a year.  I get them resoled and put on heels for $70.00 / pair maybe once  a year.

I worked too hard to blow my money on anything but food, gas, and guns....and even cut way back on all three of those.

I can understand saying a lot of money for some things. I've got a gun I paid $12,000 for.

I can understand paying $100,000 for a sports car. Or a couple of million for a mansion - assuming you've got the 100,000 or the million to spend.

But these are shoes.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

But these are shoes.

Maybe shoes is their hobby or their obsession. I knew a guy in Charlotte NC that had a “Sneaker Room” as he and his wife called it. He had something like 232 different pairs of sneakers and basketball shoes. The room had custom built shelving, floor to ceiling, wall to wall. His shelves or cubby holes could hold over 365 pairs of sneakers, 1 pair per cubby hole. His goal was to have enough sneakers to wear a pair every day and not wear the same pair twice in a year. 
He paid big bucks for his sneakers. He had shoes designed by basketball players and even had some of them signed. He had numerous pairs that cost well over $500 because they were from a limited run or were 1 of 25 pairs made or something like that. 
I would say he had a hobby and an obsession. That was his thing. Apparently, he could afford it. 
I didn’t question it or judge it as I have strange quirks. I just don’t have the money to feed my strange quirks the way some folks do. 

The medicine I have to take to stay alive (Creon- which helps you digest food ) cost in the neighborhood of $2000 per month after insurance. So far I haven’t had to spend that. I have a friend who had their pancreas removed and has a stock leftover and gives me a bottle each month until I can find a solution. 

would I spent big money on a rifle and scope if I had it. Hell yes! ( even though most lower end rifles are far better than my old ass can take advantage of) 

I spend a lot of money helping my neighbor farmer who uses my equipment when his breaks down. The solar company have been trying to get his 900 plus acres for Two years. But I still found time and money. For:

Tikka T3 Hunter in 270, (Best out of the box shooter). AnD topped it with a $600 vortex scope. Recoil pad on stock, recoil pad shirt and recoil vest so that I can shoot it with my screwed up shoulder.  We always want the best we can AFFORD. Depends on what you are into.  Happiness can be allusive at best AND:

You can’t take it with you. 

For people who buy shoes (or anything, for that matter) at that level of price, shoes aren't just shoes. The shoes are as much an affirmation to owners as they are a signal to the owners peers, who would recognize what she's wearing, have an appreciation of the price she paid and what it says about the owner's status and appreciation of quality.

Look at it this way -- what's the difference between one of Yul Lose's gun carts, and a converted baby stroller? Both mostly perform the same basic function of safely transporting guns, gear, and ammo. But (and I can only imagine) there's a completely different vibe rolling along between stages pushing one as opposed to the other.

I doubt anyone pushing one of Yul's carts ever had anyone walk up and ask, 'What the HELL is that?':lol:

I thought spending over $1200 each for my Colts was excessive.  One was $1600! To each his own I guess but $5000.00 for shoes? Yea that's pretty weird!

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

NCIS episode, and Gibbs is talking to this lady lawyer. She is just told him that she does a lot of pro bono work, and he pointed to her feet and said that she didn't buy those $500 shoes doing pro bono. And she says something about, "500? These are $800 shoes."

Castle episode, and they're talking to the murderer at the end, in the reveal where they're showing how smart they are. And they tell him that, "even though you tried to get the blood off those $5,000 shoes you were wearing, you didn't get all of it".

Now do Guns and ammo :)

The difference between dropping a $1000 on a pair of shoes and a $1000 on a firearm is that the shoes have ZERO resale value whereas with a firearm you'll either break even or make money on it unless you bought a Hi Point.

I don't think people buy $1000 shoes as much as they throw away $1000 on a pair of shoes.

When I retired from my office job, I swore I wasn't going anywhere that I couldn't wear bib overalls.  I keep about 3 pair in rotation  - one about worn out, one faided, and a nice pair for when we're out in public.  When one pair wears out,  I buy a new pair. Usually one a year.  Some 20 years ago I was in a thrift store in the summer and spotted a nice Carhartt truckers jacket on the $3.00 rack.  Fit perfectly.   It's about worn out.  My engineer boots are probably 30 years old.  

Footwear, especially for those of us that work in plants or construction sites is important not only for safety but good solid footwear helps keep your knees and back from failing early. I can see $300 for a pair of quality workboots but that's just as much for safety and health as anything. None of the guys I work with ooooh and awe when somebody shows up with new workboots. They get beat to hell in about a week anyway.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Footwear, especially for those of us that work in plants or construction sites is important not only for safety but good solid footwear helps keep your knees and back from failing early. I can see $300 for a pair of quality workboots but that's just as much for safety and health as anything. None of the guys I work with ooooh and awe when somebody shows up with new workboots. They get beat to hell in about a week anyway.

I did invest in a pair of Redwing work boots with steel toes.  Wore them everyday,  everywhere for many years.  Worked at our sawmill business where they got hard use. When we got the Ford Edge, there just wasn't foot room to get my feet in and out.  I bought a pair of tennis shoe type shoes to cut down on size and weight for public use. The Redwing boots are still perfectly solid but scuffed and stained.  

I wear Western boots daily except in snow or mud.  I always wanted a made to measure pair.  Some years back, I actually drove to a store that was a remote facilitator of a custom boot company.  Got measured, picked the leather, toe and heel and placed the order.  If I recall, would have been just over $1000 then. There was problem after problem, and I finally cancelled the order.  I get a minimum of 10 years out of a pair of boots, so when you amortize it is affordable.  Prices are considerably higher, but I may try again.

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

Yes, to them it is no different than dropping $800 on a decent scope or $5000 on a nice shotgun.

If I had the money to burn I would have no problem dropping $250,000 on a Bentley or high end English shotgun.  I've seen, first hand, a matched  pair of Holland & Holland SxS in their case and that the price tag was $250,000.

They had a Castle episode, and the dead guy had been strangled in the men's room with a bra.

Both Laney and Beckett recognized the bra name. And they mentioned they cost $250. Esposito is shocked. "$250? For a bra??"

And Laney says something about him not seeing anything wrong with spending that much money on a pair of tennis shoes, and he starts trying to defend spending $250 on tennis shoes but she's not buying that.

And I'm sitting there wondering what kind of moron spends $250 on tennis shoes? And I'm also shocked at $250 for a bra.

I know, from raising little girls, the girls underwear cost more than boys underwear. For that matter girls outerwear cost more than boys. You can pick up a pair of blue jeans for a little boy for $8 but the cheapest blue jeans you're going to find for a girl is close to 30.

I know that girls panties cost more than Jockey shorts. And I can see paying $20 or more for a bra. I think that's vastly overpriced but I've seen that too often.

But 250?

In my neighborhood people spend 20k to put large rocks in the front yard of their weekend home when the fad ends it will cost them that much to have them hauled away. 
Not in the budget of this old retired police officer I tell people that I live in the slums here 

56 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They had a Castle episode, and the dead guy had been strangled in the men's room with a bra.

Both Laney and Beckett recognized the bra name. And they mentioned they cost $250. Esposito is shocked. "$250? For a bra??"

And Laney says something about him not seeing anything wrong with spending that much money on a pair of tennis shoes, and he starts trying to defend spending $250 on tennis shoes but she's not buying that.

And I'm sitting there wondering what kind of moron spends $250 on tennis shoes? And I'm also shocked at $250 for a bra.

I know, from raising little girls, the girls underwear cost more than boys underwear. For that matter girls outerwear cost more than boys. You can pick up a pair of blue jeans for a little boy for $8 but the cheapest blue jeans you're going to find for a girl is close to 30.

I know that girls panties cost more than Jockey shorts. And I can see paying $20 or more for a bra. I think that's vastly overpriced but I've seen that too often.

But 250?

Alpo

Try shopping high end women's clothing sites; $250 is nothing.

LL

I was just at Bass Pro this morning looking at hunting clothes. There is a brand called Sitka. High end hunting clothes. It kind of reminds me of Orvis and their trout fishing gear. High end and costly, but it is quality stuff. 
I paid $13 for a long sleeve Redhead camo shirt. The similar Sitka shirt is around $100. 
I am sure that Sitka shirt will outlast the Redhead shirt, but I tend to tear things up in the woods. I would rather replace the $13 shirt than a $100 shirt. 
I needed a Day-Glo orange outer garment for hunting. I looked at several jackets priced from $150-$300. I opted for a $18 orange vest to go over the jacket I already have. It’s a Carhartt “rain defender” jacket I bought for $39. That jacket retails for $130 and up. I got it on sale. I figured , why buy an orange coat I will only wear during deer firearm season? 

It’s all in what you’re willing to spend. 

Mom grew up in a big family on the farm during the Depression.  Dirt poor,  as they say. Hand me downs, made out of flour sacks, and cast off were the norm.  But one time she got new boots to start school.  Old family story,  her brother spilled water on them and she beat the crap out of him.  All her life she had a thing for shoes. At her passing,  she had a couple hundred.  But they were bough from rummage sales and discounts bins.  "I can never find shoes that fit me." She'd say. 

14 minutes ago, Mercy Me said:

Do you think they shoot any better than the $3k, $4k shotguns ?

Does a Ruger or Colt shoot better and last longer than a Taurus?

My SIL spent more on her shoes for her wedding ($1,200), (which were concealed under her dress) than I did for my dress and all the guy's tuxes combined.  It's all a matter of where your priorities are.

15 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I was talking to Barbara Mandrell’s husband, Ken one afternoon while repairing a door on his bus/motor home.

He knew that I was into guns and invited me inside to show me an over/under trap gun he’d bought for Barbara. He opened the case and tossed me the gun like it was a cheap Mossburg! 

Thank God I caught it cleanly. When he told me he’d paid nearly $95,000.00 for it, I VERY CAREFULLY  walked across the room and handed it back to him!

I never felt more like a rich man than when I walked out of the store with a new Browning CX. I sure had some kick in my walk and a grin on my face that day. Over and unders are pricey. And there is something about a trimmed out O/U that makes people spend like crazy. Which is what Im assuming this was. 

Archived