SASS Wire Forum

Do They Try To Make Us Feel Old?

Subdeacon Joe

Found on FB:

Time and tide wait for no man. Here's all you need to know:
So, I'm attending a squadron reunion at NAS Jax. The Replacement Air Group (RAG) was kind enough to static display our "back in the day" aircraft adjacent to today's new generation aircraft. As I took my wife up to the old cockpit to show her some of my history, I climbed into the left seat and remarked, "Hell, I haven't sat in this seat since '92!" The RAG Instructor Pilot standing behind me replied, "Wow, I was born in '92, Sir!" This concludes today's lesson.

I think I've mentioned this before, but back when I was in the National Guard, we got a new medic. Talking to him, I found out he went to the same high school I did, and he had a familiar last name, so I asked him if he knew two people I went to school with, one a year ahead of me, one I graduated with. He replied, "Oh, yes! That's my aunt and uncle!" I felt officially old.

20+ years ago, my wife taught Art in a elementary school in a little village up the road. One day as I drove out of the village, I reached the place I knew as the village line and stepped up my speed to the ‘county road limit’ of 55 mph. Shortly a State Trooper pulled me over and informed me that the village line had been moved further up the road the last month. I surrendered my License, Registration & proof of Insurance as requested. After he ran my license for any outstanding issues he returned to my car and said, “Sir, I attended the elementary school here. There used to be an Art Teacher by the ‘same last name’ as yourself. Would you be related to that Teacher?” I replied, “Yes, she is my wife, and she is still teaching there.” The trooper replied as he handed back my paperwork, with NO TICKET. “Really? I’d have thought she was long retired by now.” Well you have a good day Sir, and don’t forget to watch your speed.” 

Phew, some times it pays to know an Old Teacher. :D

That night I told my wife I got stopped by that Trooper. She remembered him. I told her he had fond memories of Art Class and that I figured it got me off with a warning. Never did tell he thought she was so old that she should have been retired long ago. ;)
KIDS, they got no respect for their elders these a day’s.

CJ

18 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

20+ years ago, my wife taught Art in a elementary school in a little village up the road. One day as I drove out of the village, I reached the place I knew as the village line and stepped up my speed to the ‘county road limit’ of 55 mph. Shortly a State Trooper pulled me over and informed me that the village line had been moved further up the road the last month. I surrendered my License, Registration & proof of Insurance as requested. After he ran my license for any outstanding issues he returned to my car and said, “Sir, I attended the elementary school here. There used to be an Art Teacher by the ‘same last name’ as yourself. Would you be related to that Teacher?” I replied, “Yes, she is my wife, and she is still teaching there.” The trooper replied as he handed back my paperwork, with NO TICKET. “Really? I’d have thought she was long retired by now.” Well you have a good day Sir, and don’t forget to watch your speed.” 

Phew, some times it pays to know an Old Teacher. :D

That night I told my wife I got stopped by that Trooper. She remembered him. I told her he had fond memories of Art Class and that I figured it got me off with a warning. Never did tell he thought she was so old that she should have been retired long ago. ;)
KIDS, they got no respect for their elders these a day’s.

CJ

Similar experience:  while driving on an Interstate in our brown van, I was pulled over by a Highway Patrolman.  He checked me and the interior of the van.  As he gave me my license and registration back, he told us that there had been an armed robbery in a nearby town, and the young men had fled in a brown van.  He took a few steps towards his vehicle, turned and said, "Of course, sir, this is not to say that you are no longer a young man!"  I was white haired and over 60 when it happened.

I enjoyed my 35th anniversary at my job this week.  I officially felt old the first time I realized that I had been working there longer than some of the staff had been alive. And that was several years ago now. 

The neverending story. I joined a firm as a new lawyer in 1972. The four senior partners ranged from 52 down to 48. They were WWII vets, and two of them had been in heavy naval combat. These were great men, who taught me everything I needed to be a good lawyer.

Now, of course, they are long gone. But the thing that gets me is that my children today are older than those men were when I first met them back then....hard to get your head around.

“That old guy over there has some really cool guns”

The twenty something that said that had just finished talking to me about my guns at the range and had gone back to his friends 4 lanes away.

”I ain’t so old that I can’t hear you!” I shouted over. 
He turned beet red then found something fascinating in his range bag to fool with. 

That was the day I thought “Hmmm…I guess I am getting a little older”

I am still 25 in my mind. ;)

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am still 25 in my mind. ;)

I didn't think men's minds matured after age 17.

When I was 30-31, I got in an accident with a teenager that took a right turn from the left lane in front of me. Drove my pickup up into his trunk! No taillights, no signal on his car. I was about 50' away when the Police came and went over to him first. I heard him say "the old guy over there just rear ended me!" When it was my turn, I pointed out the no taillights, which the cop checked. His insurance payed the bill.:) I guess I would qualify for geezer now!

48 minutes ago, Alpo said:

OIP-25.jpg

9:00 is the new midnight! Hell, even the dog told me it was getting to be bedtime around 8:30.

It's made me feel old reading the obits the last few weeks, (Just to see if I'm in there) and seeing people a lot younger than I am.

I think I'll avoid that page from now on, go out with my young friends and chase pretty young women. I'm sure they could use a good laugh!

it never fails to upset me when i realize that the 90's were a long time ago , my kids were born in the early 80s , they graduated in the turn of the century , they have kids ......thankfully no great grandkids yet - im not that old am i ? i dont quite feel it yet , 

but am i in denial ? my grandparents died at earlier ages than i am at , my parents died at ages only a little over where im at , i guess im old but dont feel it all that often nor do i want to accept it .....but ...if some young person tells me they were born in the early 90s i might start thinking im old , 

its always been a state of mind and the wear and tear on my body at the moment that made me feel old , these days ut takes less wear and tear , but my state of mind is still young , im not giving up yet , but yes i know in my heart that age is catching up , 

This goes back to the late 90's. I was asked at work to come in on a Saturday to help train new installers at the phone co. I had been an installer earlier in my career.

The the 19 year old kids name was Ernie Brigham. While riding, I asked if he was any relation to an Ernie Brigham I knew in Coventry. He says, yeh he's my Dad! Oh my gosh, I remember when your mother was pregnant with you!! Time flys.

14 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I guess I would qualify for geezer now!

You guess?

:P

I always have the last laugh when some kid calls me "boomer".
He will never own a home.
He will have a string of lousy bosses.
He has a high possibility of a failed marriage.
He will eventually get heart disease and cancer.

And I will laugh at him, from the Beyond.

This year I'll attend our 50th class reunion.

HALF A CENTURY!! since the night I walked across the stage and received my diploma.

When I attended our 45th reunion, I was honestly amazed how many OLD people were there.

This reunion promises to be even worse!

4 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

This year I'll attend our 50th class reunion.

HALF A CENTURY!! since the night I walked across the stage and received my diploma.

When I attended our 45th reunion, I was honestly amazed how many OLD people were there.

This reunion promises to be even worse!

My daughter in law sent me prom pics of my grandson. For the first time I realized he was graduating exactly 50 years after me.

I will always recall the feeling of shock I experienced when the young lady selling me a movie ticket asked "and would you like your senior discount, Sir?"  :o

Even more shocking is the realization that happened over twenty years ago.  :huh:

When I realized I was older than the First Sergeant and Uncle Sugar wanted to send my back for the fourth time to W. Germany, I knew it was time for me to hang up the combat boots and retire from the U.S. Army.   At 42 years old, I was getting too old for Army life.  I officially retired 1 MAR 89.  

Now it's been over 34 years since I retired from the Army and I realized there ain't anybody currently in the Army when I was in!!  That really makes me feel old.  So, I don't think about it and just go about thinking I'm still a kid......body often tells me I ain't!  But heck, I'm just a 10-year-old trapped in a 76-year-old body...by golly! 

Growing old isn't an option; but growing up is. :P

I skip HS reunions.
Same old cliques, same old B.S., but the babes (then) are tired-out and overweight frumps today.
I do smile when the class ugly duckling shows up as a beautiful swan.

We attended my 15th or 20th (it was a bust, so can't remember) and we were the 5th wheel there.
Never again.

If I'd gone to any of my high school reunions I woulda stood out like a marshmallow in a coal bin.  :huh:

I've gone to all of my high school reunions; I emceed the 10, 20, and 25 year ones. They've always been fun. Our 50-year in 2016 was a blast.

People have tended to stay around hereabouts, as much as any reason because this region has a strong economy down the decades; families don't have to scatter to make a living. And it's a pretty area. So I see old HS classmates around town all the time, especially when we were younger and in the thick of things.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you; cry, and you cry alone. My mom's mantra, and mine. It won't keep you young, but it's a big help in life nonetheless.

I never went to any high school reunions. I figure that I didn't like them then, I sure as hell aren't going to like them now. Even now, 45+ years later, I still keep in touch with the few people that I hung out with in high school. 

I occasionally see people that went to the same high school on tv, usually on Cops though. 

When an old man (102 years)was asked if he'd go to his high school reunion replied  "at my age I would BE the reunion."

A youngster at the library asked me if I was a cowboy or something.  I told  him "Sonny, I haven't been any kind of a 'boy' for over sixty-six years."

On 4/29/2023 at 10:12 AM, Cypress Sun said:

The first time that I felt (realized) that I was old was the first time a good looking gal referred to me as "Sir". It was all downhill from there.:rolleyes:

I'm young as far as this forum goes, but middle aged, nonetheless.  People started addressing me as "sir" whether they are military or not a few years ago.

Archived