SASS Wire Forum

Which is right and which is left?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

I've talked with several shooters who have shown me how they have marked their revolvers as left and right. Is there really a difference between pistols to differentiate one from the other? What would make one pistol a right pistol and the other a left pistol, other than putting them in their respective holster?

I bought .44 mag Super Blackhawks at different times, for different reasons. They do not feel the same. One is always left, shot first. The other is second. Always. OK, thats crap. If I switched them they wouldn't recognize where they were. OK, more crap. I just do it cause I'm a little superstitious.

When I had Vaqueros they were consecutive serial #s. 89 was the left gun and 90 the right. Always.

I am with Slim..I have consecutive Vaqueros..the one ending in 3 goes in left hand..4 in right..no reason..just OCD..

Bought 2 pair of Hogue grips. turned out 1 set beautiful , other set plain as factory. put nice side out . always know which is which. Right gun shoots closer to point of aim. rest of pistols have not been figured out yet GW

Mine have a pit bull head on the right side of the grip of one pistol and on the left side of the grip on the other.I want to know if one has a firing pin is going south or a spring or anything else.I always keep the head to my palm.

Yea I ha consecutive numbered pistols, they feel exactly the same, same work on them, same POI. Ones Right Ones Left I tell them apart by slight differences in the Altamont grips

For consistency I always shoot one left and one right, even though I don't consciously know if and how they shoot differently, my subconscious mind knows.

Of course that is total BS in my case. I have no idea which is where at any given time, but have come to learn that if a gun is already in one holster, it's best to put the other gun in the other holster, two don't fit in one, though I have tried.

Whatever works for you.

:D

For consistency I always shoot one left and one right, even though I don't consciously know if and how they shoot differently, my subconscious mind knows.

Of course that is total BS in my case. I have no idea which is where at any given time, but have come to learn that if a gun is already in one holster, it's best to put the other gun in the other holster, two don't fit in one, though I have tried.

Whatever works for you.

:D

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

I always shoot with the Colt in my right hand and the other Colt in my left. I shoot gunfighter so that I draw them at the same time and holster them as well. I don't want either to get jealous.

I do it by the serial # also and it more so if I start having issue with a pistol I now which one needs to be worked on.

I do the same because I had some inconsistent issues and needed to isolate the problem. After a couple of years, I was able to identify the problem (a bent pin on the bolt) and have had no issues with the offending pistol.

i have one set that are essentially a matched set but they are my newer backup set that i bought to replace my originals - i always go back to my mismatched originals a 5 1/2" cross draw and a 4 3/4" strong side , i switch off on what i shoot first depending on the targets but predominately start with the cross-draw - its habit , not superstition , it makes no difference how well i shoot because im not a fast shooter ,

I have a set of Outlaw grips gunfighter grips with blind screw options - the screw head of each pistol is always against the body.

They just look better that way.

My OMV's in 45 shoot the same so no left or right there. My SASS Vaqueros are left and right because one shoots an inch lower than the other. Front sights are solid brass and same height and there will be no filing on them. Most clubs have big and close targets so an inch won't matter. My local club likes to put them out there and on the small side.

Like Buckaroo Bubba, my New Vaquero's are also consecutively numbered, so number 2 is my right pistol, number 3 is my left pistol. Plus, number 2 shoots a slightly tighter group, so it's my go to pistol when a stage calls for accuracy with the pistol.

I used to not be able to readily tell the difference between the two Colt SAAs I use on occasion...until i put ivory grips on the 7½" nickel-plated one to distinguish it more easily from the 5½" blue/color-cased one.

Later I figured out that the long one went in the longer holster and the short one in the other.

Problem solved!

:ph34r:

I shoot a pair of "old" 44 Vaqueros, one is 5.5 and the other is 7.5 which I keep in a cross draw. I always shoot my cross draw 7.5 first. No need to mark them.

Fillmore

I used to not be able to readily tell the difference between the two Colt SAAs I use on occasion...until i put ivory grips on the 7½" nickel-plated one to distinguish it more easily from the 5½" blue/color-cased one.

Later I figured out that the long one went in the longer holster and the short one in the other.

Problem solved!

:ph34r:

Haha kinda like the joke about the white horse being a foot taller than the lack one

I do it by the serial # also and it more so if I start having issue with a pistol I now which one needs to be worked on.

That;s my reason.

I put new Altamont grips on my ROAs today. Both sets are identical. I took appliance chip patching paint in white and painted a stripe down the crack between the grip and the frame on one gun. Waited a moment and wiped it off.

I now have a very thin white line on both sides of the frame on the right gun. You have to know it's there to see it.

One has a lighter trigger than the other... I don't like it a gun goes off without intent.

My Vacqueros are trimed to shoot identically. Thus I don't care. In addition, I don't think it makes a different on CAS targets...

For me, it is an affectation, depending on which guns I use...

My 4.75" Colt goes in my left holster, the 5.5" goes in the right.

The 12" Buntline goes left, the 3" Sheriff on the right.

The nickel Sheriff on the left, the blue on the right

The 7.5" 2nd gen .45 goes on the left, the NRA Centennial 7.5" .45 on the right.

The Nagant with the half moon front sight goes on the left, the one with the other type sight on the right.

The Schofield will usually go on the the right, and what ever I have paired it with on the left.

The New Model 3 usually goes on the left, and what ever I have paired it with on the right.

Other pistols don't really have a preferred side, and I will switch them back and forth as I see fit.

I always thought the idea behind having matched Rugers was never having to worry about which gun went in which holster. Then I talked to Jimmy Spurs and he suggested I designate a right and left hand pistol and stick with it. He said something about identifying a pistol having a problem. I now religiously make sure one specific pistol always goes to one holster and the other is placed in the other. I am still not convinced it makes any real difference.

IMG_20130923_083521_zpsc3f7a0aa.jpg

I have a matched set of Uberti Catteman 45 Colts down to the same serial number - except one ends with an "L" and the other with a "R". I don't pay to much difference as they shoot the same. But I do shoot with people that look the serial number up on otherwise identical guns and holster accordingly. They say they shoot at different points of aim.

When I buy pistols or even just one pistol I always specify that they be ambidextrous. <_< That way I never have the left/right problem.

When looking at used pistols sometimes it can be a little tricky! :o

Blackfoot ;)

My backstraps are engraved with my alias so that you can read both id they're laid on a table with the sights touching and the barrels pointed away. Right gun goes in the right holster, left gun in the left. Right gun shoots a tighter group, so any small bonus target gets engaged with the more accurate gun. Superstition plays a role, but you gotta believe that things are right! The truth is probably best stated by PWB. If you want to shoot two different barrel lengths, it's best to have one blued and one stainless so you can tell them apart.

CR

Archived