SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy shooters opinion on Paypal

Wild Walt. 92206

I am just doing a little informal survey.

I recently made a comment about Paypal being anti-gun.

Another Pard jumped in and said that Paypal is not anti-gun, that they have never made any public statements about being anti-gun, and that they are just limiting their liability exposure. That Pard even said that they do not participate in alcohol sales and service for the same reason.

That is not true, because I have the ability to pay for my home beer brewing supplies with Paypal.

That being said, there are several companies that specialize in reloading supplies that allow payment with Paypal.

The other Pard even went so far as to say that they are an "Excellent" company and providing a necessary service.

I do not believe that you have to make public statements about being anti-gun. I believe that your actions speak louder than words.

I use Paypal. I do not boycott Paypal. I think that the service that they provide has a place.

I would not call them "excellent" by any means. I think that they are like the political system. There are few options available, and you just have to pick the one that sucks less.

I use Paypal because it is just easier. If you factor in fuel prices, and the time involved to drive around and get money orders and stamps and sending high dollar money orders certified mail, it really does offset the cost.

I am interested in seeing how the SASS membership feels about Paypal.

I think that I already know the answer, but I want to make sure.

Please keep it friendly, and no insults please. Respect other opinions, even if they differ.

My family uses it not often, but several times a year. As you said, limited options out there and it provides a needed service/convenience. Beats waiting for your check to clear before your item is shipped. The fact that I can't use it on Gunbroker for a rifle sucks but how often is that?

Paypal is convenient.

You pay for convenience.

When I sell something, I frequently offer to accept a personal check.

But, standing in line 1/2 hour to get a postal money order -- If I'm buying, I offer to pay the 3% fee to avoid this huge waste of time.

Many people and places are anti-gun

I avoid them when possible

But it is not always possible or practical

--Dawg

After I signed up for it, the next day had charges in Germany along with currency exchange charges. Probably just a fluke, but have not used it since. Was no problem getting that problem settled.

I don't use PayPal.

Nor do I know of their opinions or beliefs concerning some of my 2nd A rights.

But I do know of atleast ONE very reputable Cowboy supply and gunsmithing business that uses them and makes it real convenient for folks to order online and get immediate shipments of their products.

My sister-in-law don't like guns. But my brother keeps a rifle standing by the back door all the time, just like grandpa use to do at his house. They've been happily married for probably 40+ years now.

There are just some things in life we have to live with..........or learn to do without.

..........Widder

If I remember correctly, isn't there a GunPal payment company that specializes in stuff PayPal won't touch? Can't look up gun stuff here at work.

I've been using Paypal for years without any problems. I've used it to buy gun-related items but nothing that violated their terms of service, so I haven't experienced the dreaded locked account.

I do know a couple of people who tried to skirt the terms and got caught. They have nothing good to say about Paypal. Considering one guy's funds were frozen for a period of months, I think he had a legitimate grievance. It's one thing to be told, "Get out and don't come back," but another thing completely for them to keep your money and collect interest on it while they're "investigating."

Hi Walt,

I use PayPal whenever I can. It provides an extra layer of protection between me and a vendor. The vendor knows I used PayPal; that is all. PayPal charges my credit card and the vendor does not know my card number. Also, on eBay purchases, you pay before they will ship. The delay until I have to pay my credit card statement allows sufficient time for me to receive the product before final payment. If I don't have the purchase in a reasonable time, I have recourse on both my credit card and PayPal. If it is an eBay purchase add recourse there.

Regards,

Allie

I use paypal strictly for convenience and have never had a problem. I have also purchased three guns over the last two years on gunauction.com and I paid for the transactions with paypal. These payments however were to individuals accounts and not to a brick and mortar gun shop. If anyone could provide proof that they pursue an antigun agenda I would discontinue the use of their services. Until then, if it is more convenient, I'll use it.

It's not just convenient. It's also an added layer of protection for buyers. If someone doesn't deliver on a product I purchase through paypal, I can file a claim and get a refund faster than any other method I know of.

I use paypal strictly for convenience and have never had a problem. I have also purchased three guns over the last two years on gunauction.com and I paid for the transactions with paypal. These payments however were to individuals accounts and not to a brick and mortar gun shop. If anyone could provide proof that they pursue an antigun agenda I would discontinue the use of their services. Until then, if it is more convenient, I'll use it.

As Wild Walt said, they're limiting their exposure. If anyone wants to call that an "anti-gun agenda" that's their prerogative. But PayPal clearly prohibits using it for firearm transactions.

From PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy:

Prohibited Activities
You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:
1. violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
2. relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (B) drug paraphernalia, © items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (d) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods (e) items that promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (f) items that are considered obscene, (g) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (h) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (i) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (j) ,certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.
From PayPal's User Agreement:
We may close, suspend, or limit your access to your Account or the PayPal Services, and/or limit access to your Balance for up to 180 Days (or longer if pursuant to a court order or other legal process) if you violate this Agreement, the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, any other agreement you enter into with PayPal, or as otherwise specified in this Agreement or other agreement you have entered into with PayPal.

I use it all the time and never had a problem. It's also a quick and easy way for the part-time, ultra small cottage business person to set up an account and get paid. Many people I deal with haven't written a check in years and don't carry cash. Paypal, a smartphone/table and credit card let's you buy/sell with ease with a layer of protection built in.

Paypal makes my life easier, that is all I really care about.

Itchy

Same here. It works and if I want to use it to pay an individual for something gun related. all I have to do is send it as a "gift" or some kind of unspecified payment. They only care if you are obviously buying guns stuff.

I say do what you want and justify it in your mind (or not), so that whatever the resulting solution is, works for YOU.

I believe PayPal to be an eBay controlled entity. I believe ebay to be "anti-gun," ergo......PayPal is "anti gun." If you purchase a firearm, or certain firearm components, make payment via PayPal and it comes to PayPal's attention, you risk having your account, with any finds you have on deposit with PayPal, "locked," or frozen until they decide to give it back to you. Firearms are not the only goods that fall under their arbitrary reign of terror.

Look up on google to get a better understanding of your risks in keeping funds on deposit with PayPal; there are many.

I use PayPal ONLY to pay for certain purchases (typically low dollar value items from Hong Kong, for example). Seller pays fees; transaction hits my credi card, I keep nothing on deposit with PayPal.

But you all go on and do what suits you. I think a man out to do what he thinks is best.

I don't personally care for using it but I just don't like the way it works. We have used it at the Wolverine Rangers home office to become the first State match where you can easily register and pay for your match fee online now for 3 years running. It has worked very well for us and has been very innovative.

I use when possible, just paid for a group of different reloading items for myself and father over the past three months and plan on some more. So I dont think they are anti gun just that you can not use it for buying guns. Reloading supplies, leather and gun parts are ok just not ammo and firearms. Unlike aarp which has given money to help the anti gun crowd I do not know of paypal or its owners doing the same. It's just like ebay has a similar policy. As far as I know ebay set the standard and paypal just follows it. I've used ebay and or paypal a lot being in a small rural community. If I can have it shipped to me it is cheaper than drining to someplace to get it and paypal is safer than giving everyone you cc info or banking info. I been using paypal since the 1990s as i recall

I use when possible, just paid for a group of different reloading items for myself and father over the past three months and plan on some more. So I dont think they are anti gun just that you can not use it for buying guns. Reloading supplies, leather and gun parts are ok just not ammo and firearms. Unlike aarp which has given money to help the anti gun crowd I do not know of paypal or its owners doing the same. It's just like ebay has a similar policy. As far as I know ebay set the standard and paypal just follows it. I've used ebay and or paypal a lot being in a small rural community. If I can have it shipped to me it is cheaper than drining to someplace to get it and paypal is safer than giving everyone you cc info or banking info. I been using paypal since the 1990s as i recall

Ditto!

I use it pretty regularly. There are times my decision to purchase an item hinges on whether or not they take paypal.

I know there are other options for paying in some instances but Ebay and Paypal work very well together and I've had no issues with them.

But, to each their own. I fault no one for choosing not to use them.

Big Lube®LLC advises customers that they will pay a 5% service fee for Pay Pal purchases. Our customers are advised that our web site is SQL secure and that their plastic is welcome. Further, our web site has a printable order form that the customer can print out, fill out and send with their check. We have never had a Cowboy stiff us with a bad check so we don't hold an order for check clearance. We ship immediately regardless of payment type.

DD-MDA

Stay off the grid as much as possible. I do not use Paypal or credit cards for gun or ammo purchases. Cash works best. A money order or bankers check is a finite option. Credit cards and Paypal likely keep records of all transactions forever.

I USED to have a PayPal account, but after some chicanery over there, I called and got my account deleted. That was some years ago.

They were allowing some charges that I didn't approve of. Now I've had a stalker some 25 years, and I don't know who is at fault, but I got tired of straightening them out, so I tried to cancel my account, delete it. But they put some 45 cents in my account, also without my approval, and said they couldn't cancel it because the 45 cents were in there. It took quite a long while before I convinced them that they must delete my account---the end was when I told them I'd file a complaint with the FTC---and that's the last I've heard from them. they kept the 45 cents, which is appropriate as it was not mine.

I'm glad I'm not with them, and I won't purchase anything through them.

Problem is that what exactly are " or certain firearm parts or accessories". That statement is way too vague.

I use PayPal for Ebay purchases and have not had any issues; but then again I do not buy firearm parts on Ebay.

What miss allie said.

Plus If I send a money order and the seller chooses to not send my stuff I have not much I can do. With Pay-pal I have the avenue of disputing the charges

Hi Walt,

I use PayPal whenever I can. It provides an extra layer of protection between me and a vendor. The vendor knows I used PayPal; that is all. PayPal charges my credit card and the vendor does not know my card number. Also, on eBay purchases, you pay before they will ship. The delay until I have to pay my credit card statement allows sufficient time for me to receive the product before final payment. If I don't have the purchase in a reasonable time, I have recourse on both my credit card and PayPal. If it is an eBay purchase add recourse there.

Regards,

Allie

W

Allie Mo nailed it. My household uses PayPal for many piuchases. Much safer than giving out your CC number

Hi Walt,

Regards,

Allie

^^^ This. Also, because I sell online, I must use it because many of my customers do. It also helps me avoid putting my card # out there too many times, making it easier to track if fraudulent charges are incurred somewhere.

The one time I had a transaction go south, Paypal took care of it very quickly. I've been happy with the service. I understand that avoiding liability is important for a business; that said, I have purchased many many gun-related items with Paypal and never a problem. (No actual firearms, though).

Refuse to use it, any company that won't deal with a legal transaction because someone in charge must be anti gun will not get my business-ever.

My personal feeling is if we all felt that way their policies would change.

+1

We have a web store with shopping cart convenient ordering. There can be thousands of dollars in the account any given month. Given that PayPal has seized accounts in the past, to do business with them and their ambiguous anti-gun rules is just asking for trouble.

I always check if I have to order using "Pay Pal" then I don't Order anything from them ...

Easy Choice Pay Pal is a NO deal ...

Jabez Cowboy

Stay off the grid as much as possible. I do not use Paypal or credit cards for gun or ammo purchases. Cash works best. A money order or bankers check is a finite option. Credit cards and Paypal likely keep records of all transactions forever.

Tom, you just gave yourself away! :)

Archived