SASS Wire Forum

If it ain't wrong..... I'll just shoot 'Gunfighter' this year

I turn 73 in March.   I no longer really care about being in the Senior or Elder Statesman Gunfighter category.

Soooooo, if it ain't wrong, I think this year, even in the State and Regional matches, I'll just shoot in the plain ole 'Gunfighter'

category.    Just gonna shoot, relax and have fun...... and not think of any buckle or plaque.

I hope I ain't accused of being a 'Cherry Pick'r.    :lol:

..........Widder

• Like 13
  • Haha 5

I tried gunfighter once.  In the middle of shooting the pistols I thought, “Hey!  This is fun” and  instantly forgot what pistol went on which target for the next shot. 

• Haha 7

57 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I turn 73 in March.   I no longer really care about being in the Senior or Elder Statesman Gunfighter category.

Soooooo, if it ain't wrong, I think this year, even in the State and Regional matches, I'll just shoot in the plain ole 'Gunfighter'

category.    Just gonna shoot, relax and have fun...... and not think of any buckle or plaque.

..........Widder

I like your thinking. Enjoy 

I shoot Gunfighter all of the time. Got tired of being whipped by senior Gunfighters so now I  let the young ones have their fun.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

As long as you don't try shooting Buckaroo GF, I guess it'll be OK.

If you REALLY want to have some fun shoot Outlaw. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

I hear when you turn 73 you are at your peak of immunity from the effects of chicken feet, sorcery, chants, incantations and various forms of "mountain magic."  So I believe you should be good to go to shoot whatever category suites ya! :lol:

Kajun

• Haha 9

Good plan Widder.  Da game is 'posed to be FUN.  I turned 76 this past October.  Shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.  Been doin it with CAP GUNS !!  SNUBBIES no less.  Gobs of fun.  Though recently I did spring for a new pair of Suppository Shooters.  Wid 3 1/2 in Octagonal Barrels no less.  How the heck do ya stuff Powder-n-Ball inna suppository shooter anyway?? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waimea said:

What he said, besides no shotgun is better made for hip shootin than a 97

• Like 1

Sir, you're a ruffian and a scoundrel... but ya ain't no cherry picker! (although a certain ice cream favorin' fella accused ya of being a nit picker).

Have fun and shoot em up! If I had the holsters for it and I could keep my thumbs from gettin' all confused, I may just be a gunfighter meself. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Thats what I been doin for years.

Good luck.

kR

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Waimea said:

That's a good idea Widderborg. Use the force!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

My humbleness and modesty is only exceeded by my Scoundrelness..... :P

..........Widder

Is the real truth? That you are telling Billy, lefty and Cumberland, that the Boss is stepping down to show them how it is really done

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blue Eyed Drifter said:

Is the real truth? That you are telling Billy, lefty and Cumberland, that the Boss is stepping down to show them how it is really done

Oh Yea!   I'm sure they are already shakin in their boots..... :lol:

BUT..... that is funny!

..........Widder

Edited by Widder, SASS #59054
  • Like 1

I've never shot in an age based group and don't ever plan too.  I shoot FCGF with cap guns, I use a Chaparral 1873 in 38WCF, and a hammer double because I like to make smoke.  

• Like 2

All will be forgiven if you keep your "Buck-da-Law" "Gamer" card on display! 

• Haha 3

On 1/28/2024 at 3:37 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Show them young wiper snappers how it’s done!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

So……all this time you haven’t been having fun? ;)

Actually, I shot, relaxed and had fun.   BUT this year, I ain't gonna think of any buckles or awards.  

..........Widder

You are just a spring chicken so shoot with them kids.      HAPPY BIRTHDAY in March.  You can remember me in August when I have my, God willing, my last in the seventies.  But, I want be shooting gunfighter. Think there will be 10 El Patron FCD at any matches in 2025? :D

2 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

You are just a spring chicken so shoot with them kids.      HAPPY BIRTHDAY in March.  You can remember me in August when I have my, God willing, my last in the seventies.  But, I want be shooting gunfighter. Think there will be 10 El Patron FCD at any matches in 2025? :D

WOW..... El Patron FCD.   Very impressive.   Keep em smoking, BB.

There will be a lot of good GF'ers everywhere I go and I'll probably just become another notch in their gun grips......... :lol:

But I'm gonna enjoy every relaxing, fun moment.

Here's wishing you the best to come.

..........Widder

On 1/28/2024 at 4:30 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

I tried gunfighter once.  In the middle of shooting the pistols I thought, “Hey!  This is fun” and  instantly forgot what pistol went on which target for the next shot. 

I would love for someone to take 3 pistol targets on a stage and tell me exactly how to shoot a scenario for getting me started in making a bigger ass out of myself.  PLEASE

Widder, I would reccomend you tryFrontier Cartridge, Gunfighter, Josey Wales, and Outlaw Category.  I did it a couple of times.  Lots of FUN and not a lot of competition in that Category!

On 1/30/2024 at 8:53 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Actually, I shot, relaxed and had fun.   BUT this year, I ain't gonna think of any buckles or awards.  

..........Widder

I got of the buckle, award chase two years ago.  I don't really regret it.   It's fun to scare the good shooters a time or two but going for sub 10 second stages just burned me out.   Now I just enjoy the time with family and friends.  

• Like 1

I made the same decision a while back, Widder.  I am 75 now and have won my share of State and Regional championships shooting GF style, with some pretty good finishes at EOT and Winter Range to boot.  And while I understand the reasoning on both sides of the question, I consider the proliferation of age categories excessive anyway.  Happy just be out shooting with friends occasionally these days.

Cass

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 1:11 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

WOW..... El Patron FCD.   Very impressive.   Keep em smoking, BB.

There will be a lot of good GF'ers everywhere I go and I'll probably just become another notch in their gun grips......... :lol:

But I'm gonna enjoy every relaxing, fun moment.

Here's wishing you the best to come.

..........Widder

With the 10 per category rule at majors, one might assume the category they will actually shoot could be several levels lower than the sign-up age questionnaire might give hopes to.  I am finding now that in FCD there is not enough above 70 to make category and as with Land Run, a category is edged in with 60 and above.   "Warms my heart" :rolleyes:  to shoot with all those kids.

I started out shooting duelest with cross draw holster.  Got tired real quick of having the TO shout "Don't forget to turn!". So I practiced with my left hand and got good enough to shoot doube duelest. After a match or two went to gunfighter then Frontier Cartrege Gunfighter.  At first some stages were hard to follow shooting gunfighter.  But after a bit I could do them ok.

One thing I could never really improve the speed on was pulling my guns or putting them back in holsters.  I felt it important to get good correct grip on guns as I'd only have one hand to try to adjust once drawn. I did find myself using left eye with left gun and right with right. I didn't deliberately practice that, it just evolved. 

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Like 1