SASS Wire Forum

How time flies when you’re having fun!

Matthew Duncan

Seems just like yesterday I started shooting as a Forty-niner and now as Elder Statesman.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Seems just like yesterday I started shooting as a Forty-niner and now as Elder Statesman.

Agreed, I started 3 weeks before I turned 52 (49r) and now I’m an Elder Statesman Duelist.

Randy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I started when I was 49 as a duelist now I’m a Cattle Baron ( with no cattle) :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Me too! Elder Statesman this May! Feels like I just blew right thru 49r and the Seniors. 

• Like 2

I'll make the change to Elder Statesman at the end of this month.

The problem is that all those guys I  couldn't outrun before will be moving up also.

Choctaw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

I'll make the change to Elder Statesman at the end of this month.

The problem is that all those guys I  couldn't outrun before will be moving up also.

Choctaw

Welcome to the Elder statesmen category. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Wrangler Bob said:

I started as a Cattle Baron, moved to El Patron and now I'm an El Rey. My how time flies!

Good for you! I have all the respect in the world for you sir ! Keep shootin’:)

• Like 1

I originally shot in the “Modern” category back when you had to mail in your application and wait for return mail to receive your SASS  number and approved alias!!

I switched to 49er when  Modern was eliminated and shortly afterward, I went Frontier Cartridge and then Frontiersman.

Nowadays, I just shoot whatever suits me on that day and Elder Statesman crept up on me last year!!

• Like 2

When I started I was traditional & Duelist.  That was before the 49ner category and before Gunfighter, as I think of it.  There was only a couple seniors shooting with a group of 50!

Now I'm Cattle Baron and remember shooting with a young whipper-snapper named Santa Fe River Stan.

• Like 2

Howdy (again) Old Timers,

The hell of this game is that about the time all those years of shooting should be paying off in better times we start losing our eye sight, start getting bound up with arthritis, get a little shaky, the boots start hurting our feet, our transitions become somewhat glacial and our memory fails to retain the stage instructions. About the only thing I find I have gotten better at is cussing.

Rev. Chase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

cant agree more with that sentiment , i also started as a 49er and im now an elder statesman , ive always shot age based because i didnt have time to learn any others back then , i just wanted to participate , never regretted it and wont probably change at this age 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I started when I was 49 as a duelist now I’m a Cattle Baron ( with no cattle) :lol:

Hay Rye me too this year I can shoot Cattle Baron Duelist-Frontiersman-Frontier Cartridge duelist.  What a smorgasbord of categories!  I cannot shoot 2 handed my hands do not play well together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

Started as Traditional and I have just a few years left in 49r.

You feel free to stay in 49er as long as you like Stan. Senior is much too slow and boring for you. I’m sure you wouldn’t like it nearly as much as 49er…;)

• Haha 4

Started as a senior and now in my second year as an elder statesmen and lovin’ every minute of it!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Hey CHOCTAW I'm waiting for ya.

Largo

I'm comin' Largo!

Slowly but surely!

On 1/11/2024 at 7:02 AM, Cheatin Charlie said:

Hay Rye me too this year I can shoot Cattle Baron Duelist-Frontiersman-Frontier Cartridge duelist.  What a smorgasbord of categories!  I cannot shoot 2 handed my hands do not play well together.

Welcome to the almighty Cattle Baron category. I keep a gun around with snap caps and practice two handed. It works ! I’m now pretty comfortable shooting squaw gripper :lol:

I’m not sure about that CBDFFCD  though! :P

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

I'd have to go into the vaults but 

I could bring out the picture I have of Lucky Jake holding Santa Fe River Stan as a baby.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 12:51 PM, Wrangler Bob said:

I started as a Cattle Baron, moved to El Patron and now I'm an El Rey. My how time flies!

Yep Ron we have made it over the years my friend. Started SASS in February 1988 as a modern category and now I'm in the  El Rey category. Time flies fast yep, when you're having fun.

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414
  • Like 2

I remember one year signing up when I shot the Elder Statesman category there was 86 of us that year. There was one year that I got a DQ in that category but don't recall what occurred.  lots of fun over the years. Gotta love being a cowboy. Waaaa, Haa.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I started as a Classic Cowboy, hot weather (For me) meant a move to Duelist, so I could wear a lighter straw hat, then Senior Duelist and now El Patron.

Don't like that.

I think in this age of Wokeness, I'm going to declare myself a Buckarette and see how that goes!

tenor (1).gif

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I think in this age of Wokeness, I'm going to declare myself a Buckarette and see how that goes!

As long as you are OK sitting down to pee.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'll be turning Elder Statesman after August the ninth,  just hope to keep going. Still as much fun as it ever has been.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I looked high and low, but I couldn't find that rule in the shooters hand book

what page is it on and will there be someone doing an inspection to made sure Cold like kid adheres to this rule.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

some might need to - ive escaped that so far , but who knows what life might deal us , i got your point tho , and i agree , 

have thought to start counting backwards on birthdays tho , wonder how far id get ? seems it creeps up when your not looking yet we all get the pleasure , or not , 

• Like 2