SASS Wire Forum

Spotting scope

Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

There are many low cost scopes out there. I know I have several that now are set aside seldom used. Like any things you get what you pay for with optics. A good scope and a steady tripod are an investment that will give you many years of use. With that said you may find a used high quality scope if you are patient. Vortex offers many scopes and has established a good reputation.

I have a Vortex and I agree with Marshal Fire......'ya get what ya pay for'.

Vortex, if I remember correctly, has 3 grades of spotters and I got the lowest grade for about $400 or so.

And it has served me very well.   I think its the Diamondback series.

..........Widder

I have, Meopta, Bushnell and Tasco spotting scopes.

Meopta is the clearest, the Bushnell which is a compact model is pretty dang good. The Tasco is better than nothing. 
I bought the Meopta used for about 2/3rds of retail and it is an older model.
When I was out in Yellowstone NP the guides for the critter watching groups where using Vortex Spotting Scopes. 
What are you going to use it for? Spotting impact on steel less than 500 yards? Most of the mid priced even lower price will work.

Arhlon optics is what the NRL 22 group at our range uses for their club spotting scopes. These guys are spotting Rimfire hits on targets as small as a 1/4 at plus yards.

Spotting groups on paper at 200 plus yards better to go with a higher end scope.

Scope clarity is subjective to the user. It is best for you to pick your price point and then go take a look through a couple different models. 

I had a wide variety of spotting scopes, my best is the Vortex Razor 20-60 power. It's on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse right now.

TB

I sprung for a kowa a long while back and have never regretted it.  With a 20x eye pc it’s better than my old 20-60 bushnell.   If you use a spotting scope with any regularity, this is one place to spend $$.  You really need to be $800-$1k to get into decent glass.  

2 hours ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Arhlon optics is what the NRL 22 group at our range uses for their club spotting scopes. These guys are spotting Rimfire hits on targets as small as a 1/4 at plus yards.

I have two Athlon rifle scopes on my Varmint rifles and love the glass and quality of workmanship.

Checking out an Athlon might be worth your time..... and maybe your money.

..........Widder

I have a Tasco... somewhere; ever since my son bought a Leopold and leaves it at my house, I use his!  So, so much better

Get a good tripod. A great scope with a $10 tripod is no bueno! 

I don't know what your price range is but I just bought this Leupold and it is a good scope and the cheapest price I could find on it. Most sell for $399.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195689813818

Then I bought this tripod and it is also a good one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143876841254

I use mine for long range shooting and even though I only shoot out to 200 yards it works well at the 3 and 4oo yard targets when spotting for others.

TM

Athalon and Vortex probably have the best warranty.  After having a cheapo scope and not even being able to spot a 300 yard target I broke down and bought a Vortex.  Do your research to find what works for your requirements and budget. 

I had a Vortex 20-60 x 80 angled body Diamondback   and I couldn't see 45-70 holes on paper at 300 yards it was on sale at Midway . they have the best warranty lifetime no mater what happens to it .They tried to get me to buy the HD model next step up but didn't want to spend the money . I sent it back and only cost me the return shipping , They are good scopes .

Buy the top of the line vortex scope and their tripod (which is heavy duty).  Our eyes are not getting any better so you had better get more than you think you need now because later you will be glad.  Afterwards get a good hard case with a lot of good foam packing for your scope.

Tennessee Snuffy

Went to a black powder shoot a couple of tears ago, range was out to 1,000 yds. Out of 25 or shooters there , way more than half had Konus, I bought one on Amazon and it was waiting for me when I got home, 20x60 with a 100mm objective lens, figure on at least $200 for a tripod.

I want to get a spotting scope at some point. With the 45-70 it should be a little easier to see but I have no idea what is required to see .223 at say 200 yards. I probably wouldn't go much further then except maybe at some steel.

I have had many spotting scopes over the years, and for a good one nothing beats KOWA. Swaro makes a good one, Leica also, Zeiss, for europe, Japan  KOWA is the top.  For the US The top Leupold is pretty good.  For people on a budget I recommend the Vortex Razor 20-60.  It is pretty good. My personal scope now is a Hensoldt with a built in MIl reticle. It is amazing.  KOWA level glass with a reticle for calling 2nd. shot corrections. Unfortunately it is no longer available and cost 5K+.

I bought my Leupold Gold Ring 25 years ago when they were just expensive, not REALLY expensive.  But I have never regretted it.  I put it on a Manfrotto photography tripod which was another good decision.  Rigid, secure, adaptable to any height.  As they say, buy once, cry once.

Any reason to think about one of the newer devices; the downrange camera-wifiinterface setups?  Touted to have good range, good visualization, and interesting software for shots

I stand corrected, Cabela's has the Vortex Razor on sale right now:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/vortex-razor-hd-20-60x85mm-angled-spotting-scope

TB 

15 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

I stand corrected, Cabela's has the Vortex Razor on sale right now:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/vortex-razor-hd-20-60x85mm-angled-spotting-scope

TB 

That is a darn good deal.  I think the 'Razor' line is their top of the line products.

I have the Diamondback.  Its real good and worth the $$, but the sale price of that Razor

is sure tempting.

..........Widder

What do you intend to use the spotting scope for?

Until this is answered, everyone making a recommendation is giving you an idea based on what they use a spotting scope for.  If that's not the way you'll use it, you may be disappointed no matter how quality the glass is.

As a reply to DON JORGE  I have tried almost every down range camera.  The ONLY ones any good are from LONGSHOT in TX.  The LRS3 ULtra HD model is what all the others wish they were.  I like them so much that I now have 11 of them. A lot of money, but they are absolutely awesome. I use them on my multiple ranges but they really shine on 800 to 2000 yards. Like being 10 feet from the target. Can see a ball point pin size dot.  At 300 to 800 yards they just make spotting a dream.  When you get a bunch of hits on the target they can also easily spot (and make it blink) the last shot. 

If you can find one, buy a Bausch & Lomb, they are among the best. I believe they are no long made but a used one turns up occasionally.

Lucky :D

• 1 month later...

I belong to a 1000 Yard Shooting Club.  For a solid tripod I bought a surveyors tripod.  A professional tripod does not come with the mounting head, it has to be purchased separately.  I bought a head and an adapter for the tripod and my glass is solid.

On 8/26/2023 at 4:16 PM, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

As a reply to DON JORGE  I have tried almost every down range camera.  The ONLY ones any good are from LONGSHOT in TX.  The LRS3 ULtra HD model is what all the others wish they were.  I like them so much that I now have 11 of them. A lot of money, but they are absolutely awesome. I use them on my multiple ranges but they really shine on 800 to 2000 yards. Like being 10 feet from the target. Can see a ball point pin size dot.  At 300 to 800 yards they just make spotting a dream.  When you get a bunch of hits on the target they can also easily spot (and make it blink) the last shot. 

I had been looking at getting one, and received it a few days before going to Comin'@Cha... What a product.  I've been busier'n a one-armed paper hanger since getting it, but intend to get to the range one or two days next week to wring out a couple of rifles... In the little testing I've done I can really see it's usefulness.  I got the Marksman as I only can really use it's 300 yard capability.  Linked to my 10" tablet it's extraordinarily crisp and easy to see.  Much, much better than any spotting scope!  I had a problem linking it to my tablet, contacted them, and they provided my solution within minutes.  Super customer service.  

The more power, the more money you need to spend. I have a 20-power Redfield, $40, that works great for 25/50 yards pistol. I have a 20-60 Cabelas that sucks. It works OK to 45 power but beyond that junk. I then purchased a Swarovski 20/60, old style, that is a keeper. So $40, $500, $1000. As a take my chance and hope for the best I'd try   https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420626118?pid=668104

look for a very good quality camera tripod at garage sales - you can find them at $5 and these will serve you well , the spotting scope is where to spend a bit more if you intend to use it at distance , i have a relatively cheap barska that's fine for 22s at 25-50-75yds [what i bought it for] but its marginal at 100 and no go beyond that , a lot depends on what you want to do with it , 

i had a very expensive camera tripod i gave my niece once long ago gor her photography , wish i had it back , but i did find a similar one at a garage sale for $5 that is extremely stable and works well , good glass is important whether its a scope or a spotter and worth the investment , dont buy upgrades to get there because it just gets way more expensive , part with the intitial investment and never look back , 

Archived