SASS Wire Forum

Thinning the herd

My shooting has been slowing down both in speed and the number of events.  So, this morning I emptied out one closet and am going to try and force myself to start thinning the herd a bit.  Just in this one closet there are at least 30 die sets, project guns that have not been completed. Over a dozen shoe boxes of parts and boxes and tubs of brass and loaded rounds.  I have done this in the past and ususally wind up just packing everything neatly and more tightly and putting it back in the closet.  This time I am going to try and force myself to start getting rid of stuff.  Only problem so far is that the floor is so cluttered it is hard to walk in there.  Hopefully it will look like the second photo where I am trying to limit my cowboy loads to .38/.357 and eliminate the dozen plus cowboy calibers I use to shoot.  Two other closets and a garage and a shed full of parts left to go.

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.a60579156b57622920ed82fa097a15bc.jpeg

DSC_0005.thumb.jpeg.42f3e904dbb7f071f4c7415f8ca69f5b.jpeg

It’s a hard thing to do, but it is doable. 

I would start with any gun or cartridge you haven’t shot in a long time, re-evaluate why you have it. 
I found several projects that I literally moved with 3 times. Obviously the project wasn’t that important so off it went. 
It’s hard to part with cool stuff, but sometimes it must be done. 

One important question to ask yourself is “Will I regret getting rid of this?”

If the answer is “Yes” then ask yourself why the answer is “Yes”. If the answer is purely emotional, like; regret, embarrassment or self loathing. Suck it up, toss it and move on. If the answer is functional, practical, useful, then keep it and put a completion date on it. If you find it some day unfinished and the date is past, just toss it and move on. 

Now in my 80th year, so I started, reluctantly, to thin my herd as well.

Rifles, shotguns and, before the freeze on the LEGAL transfer of REGISTERED handguns, by LICENSED LEGAL owners* I sold several of my handguns.

*Gangbangers, drug dealers, thugs etc. are exempted under our firearm laws. As part of the same legislation, freezing handgun transfers, the mandatory sentences for those convicted of crimes, using a firearm, were reduced.

Really. You can't make this up.  

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s a hard thing to do, but it is doable. 

I would start with any gun or cartridge you haven’t shot in a long time, re-evaluate why you have it. 
I found several projects that I literally moved with 3 times. Obviously the project wasn’t that important so off it went. 
It’s hard to part with cool stuff, but sometimes it must be done. 

One important question to ask yourself is “Will I regret getting rid of this?”

If the answer is “Yes” then ask yourself why the answer is “Yes”. If the answer is purely emotional, like; regret, embarrassment or self loathing. Suck it up, toss it and move on. If the answer is functional, practical, useful, then keep it and put a completion date on it. If you find it some day unfinished and the date is past, just toss it and move on. 

Balderdash!  That is why the executor of estate gets a percentage.

I’ve been doing this for awhile, any gun I haven’t shot in a couple years gets sold. 

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I have know some people that will tell you in no uncertain terms that even of they got 100% it wasn't worth it. 

I don’t hunt much anymore, so I’ve divided my hunting guns and gear between my two grandsons. I recently asked my son and daughter what guns they’d like to have when I died. I made them take them now. 
Laramie

Part of the problem is that I only have one daughter and she has zero interest in guns.  When I die she would probably haul them to the scrap metal yard.

I need to start this process.  I have hundreds of pounds of brass and bullets.  More than I can ever shoot.  And I've got guns that have not been out of the safe in a decade.

I just did the same to my garage. Loaded a full pickup with stuff. I was going to take it to work and give it away. My son took it instead -and threw away most of it. 

My folks pasted away 10 years ago. We have their house and such.  Dad had 5 guns and about a trunk full of clothes and other items.  Mom was a collector. Depression era youth.  We thew away dump truck loads of crap. Gave away crap. Those plastic cups fruit comes in? Had maybe a 100.  Sets of dishes.  Whatnot.  She had over 400 cookie jars.  We gave some way.  But most are still up there. Nobody wants this stuff anymore.  

2 hours ago, Laramie said:

I don’t hunt much anymore, so I’ve divided my hunting guns and gear between my two grandsons. I recently asked my son and daughter what guns they’d like to have when I died. I made them take them now. 
Laramie

Hi Gramps, I'm your long lost grandson!! 

48 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

That would make Laramie what, 200 years old?;)

13 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Now in my 80th year, so I started, reluctantly, to thin my herd as well.

Rifles, shotguns and, before the freeze on the LEGAL transfer of REGISTERED handguns, by LICENSED LEGAL owners* I sold several of my handguns.

*Gangbangers, drug dealers, thugs etc. are exempted under our firearm laws. As part of the same legislation, freezing handgun transfers, the mandatory sentences for those convicted of crimes, using a firearm, were reduced.

Really. You can't make this up.  

It's true.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

As old and beat up as you are, the only thing that you hunt is a bathroom! :P

10 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Huh? What the heck are you talking about?

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Huh? What the heck are you talking about?

Specifically referring to the sentence in bold.  I'm paying an executor to take care of my estate, I'll keep anything of value to me and let her earn her percentage.  That said, I have lined up 2 auctioneers plus a trusted local gun store to come in and safely remove all firearm related materials.   

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Part of the problem is that I only have one daughter and she has zero interest in guns.  When I die she would probably haul them to the scrap metal yard.

Larsen I’m  kinda in the same boat. I’ve got two sons and neither of them shoot much. They both each have a gun for home defense. They might want my Colt SAAs (4) but any of the others they have no interest in. They know pretty much what the Colts are worth but all the others would probably be sold off really cheap!

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Specifically referring to the sentence in bold.  I'm paying an executor to take care of my estate, I'll keep anything of value to me and let her earn her percentage.  That said, I have lined up 2 auctioneers plus a trusted local gun store to come in and safely remove all firearm related materials.   

Oh, okay. I was not referring to death or dying. Just that sometimes it’s hard to part with some things for whatever reason, but sometimes it’s necessary to get rid of things to clean things up. 

Over the years I have accumulated dozens of sets of dies and Dillon parts.  I tried to put some of the caliber conversion stuff back in the original boxes but these were left over.

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.397319953aff9e767e99989c343a6750.jpeg

Thinning the herd was, were to start that I pondered a long time. 95% of my military collection are gone. Firearms was the biggest decision of were  or which one would be the first to start the process? So I started with ones I had more then one of and started with M1 Carbines, of 36, I'm down to 5. 1911s was at 7, down to 2. Mauser K98 had 4, down to 1. Garands, had 2, down to 1. Everything else except my cowboy guns are down to only of each, Lugers, P38s, S&W Model 19s, etc. are at a safe number of one. The final with only one left will be by a coin toss. I miss them, but my collecting days are over but pictures and memories will be enough.

Because of this thread I was looking at some guns in my safe that I literally haven’t shot in years. I have been debating on what I should do with them. There are two guns that I really want. A S&W 327 TRR8 or the 327 M&P R8. Both are Scandium N framed 8 shot .357 Magnum revolvers. The other is a Ruger SFAR in .308. 
I have been considering selling off a few guns and getting those that I really want listed above. 
As it turns out my LGS has a 327 M&P R8 right now for $1389.00. I haven’t seen one of these or the TRR8 in the wild in 4 1/2 years. 
As I was driving home thinking about what guns can go to fund this revolver all of a sudden it dawned on me that I really don’t need that revolver or the TRR8. I really do not need that Ruger SFAR either. 
I wanted the TRR8 because I was going to use it for woods carry and maybe competitions. I have lost interest in doing IDPA or USPSA. It’s such a hassle here I am just not going to bother. 
The SFAR was going to be a hunting and target shooting rifle. 

I think I will just put all this on hold for now just to be sure I am not in some winter time type of funk. 

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Because of this thread I was looking at some guns in my safe that I literally haven’t shot in years. I have been debating on what I should do with them. There are two guns that I really want. A S&W 327 TRR8 or the 327 M&P R8. Both are Scandium N framed 8 shot .357 Magnum revolvers. The other is a Ruger SFAR in .308. 
I have been considering selling off a few guns and getting those that I really want listed above. 
As it turns out my LGS has a 327 M&P R8 right now for $1389.00. I haven’t seen one of these or the TRR8 in the wild in 4 1/2 years. 
As I was driving home thinking about what guns can go to fund this revolver all of a sudden it dawned on me that I really don’t need that revolver or the TRR8. I really do not need that Ruger SFAR either. 
I wanted the TRR8 because I was going to use it for woods carry and maybe competitions. I have lost interest in doing IDPA or USPSA. It’s such a hassle here I am just not going to bother. 
The SFAR was going to be a hunting and target shooting rifle. 

I think I will just put all this on hold for now just to be sure I am not in some winter time type of funk. 

Many years ago, I sold off a very good collection of U.S. Military knives, things you rarely saw even then, and at high prices for the day. No idea why I did it, made a profit, but I doubt I could replicate the collection even for a lot of money today.  Wish I had hesitated and rethought the issue!  There is nearly always too much stuff, I think the trick is to start thinning with the useless crap.

This reminded me I have to finish sending more of my rarer medals to Dix Noonan Webb for their auctions.

I heard a horror story of an Executor/ heir throwing out a really scarce, 2 bar Naval General Service medal with a Ship to Ship action bar.

My collection includes a three bar medal for Peninsular Campaign and a Waterloo (among others), including some scarce Gallantry decorations, so I don't want to see them sold for silver content or thrown away as junk.

Medal for the Battleof Waterloo.JPG

Napoleonic War Spain with battle bars for NIVE, NIVELLE and CORRUNNa .JPG

I haven't started getting rid of anything yet, but I have stopped buying more guns. There are still a couple that I'm jonesin' for, but I keep talking myself out of buying them. I'm trying to concentrate on playing with the toys that I have now instead of accumulating more...

Archived