SASS Wire Forum

Mayonaise or Miracle Whip

Rye Miles #13621

Mayonaise or Miracle Whip and what do you put it on??  I use Hellman's mayonaise, not a fan of Miracle Whip, tastes funny. I use mayo for sandwiches with lunchmeat and also BLT's. I've tried it on hamburgers and it's not bad but I prefer ketchup on a burger!

I've also seen just Salad Dressing, never tried that!

Miracle Whip IS salad dressing. What it tastes like to me is mayonnaise with some sweet pickle juice mixed in it. I prefer its flavor.

Goes on sammiches, occasionally on a burger. Required for tuna, chicken, egg and potato salad.

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Miracle Whip IS salad dressing. What it tastes like to me is mayonnaise with some sweet pickle juice mixed in it. I prefer its flavor.

Goes on sammiches, occasionally on a burger. Required for tuna, chicken, egg and potato salad.

Oh yea forgot about tuna, egg and chicken salads, Hellman’s fer me !

I use Best Foods mayonnaise for everything. Best Foods is Hellman’s Mayo with a different label west of the Mississippi but I must say Hellman’s tastes better.

When I was a kid we used Miracle Whip. After I left home at 17 I “converted” to mayonnaise. Last Fall, for the hell of it, I bought a jar of Miracle Whip just to try it out again. When I moved back to CA I tossed a nearly full jar of MW in the trash.

Deviled eggs, with lemon on artichoke hearts.  And as the primary schmeer on a hot sausage grinder ( think BLT with a spicy sausage patty instead of bacon.  This is the sandwich that I fixed for my future wife, won her heart, and now nearing our 50th anniversary-next June.  She says she married me for my sausage.)

Mayo.  Usually.   Best Foods had a great product - "Homestyle" mayo, rich, creamy, a little tangy.  Stopped making it.  McCormick makes a very good mayo, with a touch of lime in it. Very nice.

When I make mayo at home I sometimes add some of the same things Miracle Whip has.  I like to play around.

The only reason MW is "dressing" rather than mayonnaise is that it has an oil content of less than 65% by weight.  Anyone other than the USDA would call it mayo.

3 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Deviled eggs, with lemon on artichoke hearts.  And as the primary schmeer on a hot sausage grinder ( think BLT with a spicy sausage patty instead of bacon.  This is the sandwich that I fixed for my future wife, won her heart, and now nearing our 50th anniversary-next June.  She says she married me for my sausage.)

So, did you use mayo or Miracle Whip? ;):lol:

See, he’s still nuts about her...can’t even think straight. :D

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So, did you use mayo or Miracle Whip? ;):lol:

See, he’s still nuts about her...can’t even think straight. :D

Mayo-only.  She has super acute taste and sense of smell.  She could have earned big bucks as a perfume tester but no , not interested!:(

edit:  glad I smelled ok!

Local otherwise-excellent sandwich shop uses MW instead of the real thing.  I'm usually there once a week, same general time, doesn't phase them any more when I pull out a small squeeze bottle of Hellmann's and properly doctor the sandwich myself. SO much better with the real thing!

CS

Miracle Whip like Trix, is for kids.

I grew up on Velveeta with Miracle Whip on Wonder Bread sandwiches.

You will find none in my kitchen.  :mellow:

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Oh yea forgot about tuna, egg and chicken salads, Hellman’s fer me !

Miracle Whip, white vinegar, granulated sugar, and Wesson oil... in the proper mixture... makes the best cole slaw in the country.

I prefer MW in poultry sandwiches and mayo on beef and fish, and on plain avocado slices.

MW and yellow mustard (or Guldens) on sausage, including hot dogs, is the way to go and it also works well on bologna and Spam.

The three salads at the top of this section can go either way with me.

Most beef is best with Sweet Baby Ray's original.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Wow...Just brought back some memories (shudder)

I forgot about those sandwiches. 

Most Foodies or Connoisseurs will say mayonaise - either homemade or a quality store or national brand. Me, I use Miracle Whip. I always recommend genuine mayonaise to anyone who asks though. Personally I will be sad when the EMP/Zombie apocalypse happens and there will be only homemade mayonaise left - I will miss the Miracle Whip and the Twinkies.

Dukes is my favorite, then Helmans.

I use it on hamburgers, sandwiches of all kinds, and homemade chicken salad. I also like it on a hot dog with a slice of American cheese.

I don't mind Miracle Whip if no mayonnaise is available.

13 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I can find no justifiable reason to ever have Velveeta ( or Cheese Whiz) in my world.  Miracle Whip is another story altogether.

Well, a fat juicy hamburger with a slab of velvetta melted on it like queso sauce slapped on a bun and given a healthy squirt of ketchup was heaven when I was a kid.

21 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Mayo. 

If it comes down to eating MW or doing without, then it looks like I'll be hungry.

Preferably BAMA brand mayonaise.

10 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I love Best Foods and A1 on my burgers!

A-1 also on beef but MP brown sauce (It's Brit product, stands for Members of Parliament) on pork and some chicken.  Some chicken just begs for 57 sauce.

I spend a lot of time mixing my own sauces, some are very good.  Sure wish that just once I'd remember to write them down.

Simple taste, I like both.  Miracle Whip on BLTs and just about any other food I would put Mayo on. 

I also like Velveeta for Grilled cheese sammishes. 

Miracle Whip,  on a Velveeta cheese on white,  is a good sammish in my book. 

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I like a sliced banana, cheddar cheese, Miracle Whip sandwich.

At first glance that sounds really strange, but after running the tastes through the little grey cells, it seems like it might be tasty.  I might give that one a try.

Archived