SASS Wire Forum

.22 magnum

I was given some guns.  I won't bore you with the story, at least not until I come up with a better one. ;)

Anyway among these guns were 3 .22 Magnum rifles.  A Winchester 9422M  A Marlin Bolt action with tube magazine, and a Rossi pump rifle that looks like an old Winchester.  I'm really diggin the .22 magnum round and starting to think about a few more such as a semi auto rifle, a semi auto handgun and maybe even a few revolvers.  So if there are any .22 Mag fans here, tell me what guns I should consider.

Thanks

I love my Ruger Stainless Single 6 revolver that converts from 22LR to 22WMR

I have an Evil Roy version Henry Lever Rifle in 22 mag also but i am not crazy about that one. Will probably sell that one and get something else. The 9422M you got is a GREAT rifle. congrats

I don't know if AMT still makes their Hardballer II self loading pistol.

Had two of them, absolutely LOVED their sights.

The pistolas in that persuasion generally have a minor fireball and they're LOUD, I'd compare them to a low end .357 for sound level though this is entirely subjective as I lack a decibel meter.

I ran across Armscor .22 mag ammo at a decent price and wish I'd stocked up!

I prefer a rifle in 22 mag over a pistol. Had a friend who hunted hogs with a Marlin XT22M. Kilt a bunc of em.

My first rifle, given to me on my 18th Birthday by my brother, is a Winchester 9422M. To this day the rifle is more accurate than I am. I've always wanted a Single Six to go with it, but it seems some other purchase or need has always gotten in the way.

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I had a NAA mini revolver years ago.  Too hard to handle with arthritis and joint pain from prior injuries.  The S&W is on the short list as is the AMT II , though I want an AMT III also :D

If you ever have a chance to pick up a .30 carbine AMT Automag III at a decent price, do it. I have two.......one of my favorite guns. People next to you at the range don't like 'em but they are fun to shoot. Not much recoil and ALOT of flame.

Understand the benefits of rifles with the .22 mag, but I have 3 rifles so far.  Understand muzzle blast of the AMT III as I have a 3 screw Blackhawk in .30 carbine and use it to clear the adjacent lanes at indoor ranges.  But shouldn't your post read two of my favorite guns? LOL

Heard that Armscorp/Rock Island Arms is making a pistol-gonna have to look at that.

I had 2 AMT II  s , one was good no issues to speak of 

the other was a waste of material , never got through a mag  without it jamming , NO one could make it run 

I have been inpressed with the Kel Tec PM30 , lots of guys have em and they seem to be good 

some what strange construction design , I under stand they are bringing out a rifle , if it is not already out 

was I going to get an auto loader ,in 22m , I would look in to them 

Chickasaw 

Take a look at the Kel-Tek PMR-30 pistol. It is a 22 magnum that has a 30 roung magazine. It is a really fun shooter, well balanced and well made. 

Volquartsen is a company that makes custom pistols and rifles based on the Ruger 'Mark' series pistols

and the 10/22 rifle.

They have a 'Scorpion' mark pistol in .22 mag

and they make the 10/22 in .22 mag.

Pricey, but eh, I don't care how you spend your money..... :)

..........Widder

"Too expensive?"  

Well...  $12 - $15 for a box of 50 wouldn't stop me from enjoying the heck out of shooting one if I had one.   :)

Always wanted on... reckon now I'll ponder gettin' myself one.   ^_^

North American Arms Black Widow 22 mag revolver with the venom laser

Black Widow.jpg

13 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Ruger made one from 1998 to 2006 but sacked it due to lack of demand. You can probably find a used one on Gunbroker.

And 17HMR conversions blowing up and fracturing tungsten bolts.  I'd recommend the Savage A22m over the 10/22m.  The Savage is more reliable and safer, probably more accurate out of the box.  The A22m comes with accu-trigger.  The downside is that you may have to remove your scope to strip down and clean the A22m action.  The A22m weighs more than the 10/22m.  There is a Lefty A22m model.

Howdy,

Like all magnums you get best performance with a long barrel

so the powder can burn.

The first magnums had 8 inch barrels so the powder could burn INSIDE

the barrel. With a short barrel it turns into bang and flash.

Which could help scare a bad guy, I guess.

I learned early on that a three inch magnum barrel gives little

over the 38 sp.

So pay double for magnum and turn it into noise.

Right.

Now a 22 magnum rifle can make a decent walking varmint gun.

No need to pick up brass off the Dakota bad lands.

Get a lever rifle not auto. 

There are just enuf 22 mag autos that work to keep folks buying em.

I just laughed about that keltec thing. 

It would be the first one that works.

And its so easy to buy 22 lr autos that work with all sorts of ammo.

If you want a pistol the the ruger mark whatever or a buck mark.

I have both and hope I never have to chooze between em.

Best

CR

Back when I was in high school I had a Marlin bolt gun, from a rifle it's quite impressive. I've shot a few handguns and was never impressed, didn't seem like it performed much better than hot .22 LR, just made more noise and cost 10x as much. I started reloading in high school, and the ammo for .22 Mag got so expensive I could reload a .22/250 for the same or less money, ended up selling the .22 Mag.

My 2 cents,

JHC

Archived