SASS Wire Forum

.22 magnum

47 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

What about the magnum research 22mag semi automatic rifle that uses ruger frames and mags? Are they any good at 800?

The MLR 1722M with the graphite barrel (never tried the SS model) is reliable and light weight.  A little more ammo picky for accuracy than the Savage A22m but not nearly as picky as the KelTec.  With the right ammo, they'll group like a mediocre bolt action.  The MLR ate everything it was fed, some just grouped better than others.  Boyds offers a variety of stocks for the Magnum Research rifles.

Those Winchester 9422 M's are commanding a fairly high price on the used market. From $600 up into the 4 digits, I had one years ago and traded it for a 3 screw Ruger .357 Blackhawk. The winchester is worth about double the Blackhawk now if not more.

6 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Federal and CCi are running a 20% rebate on rimfire ammo, buy in quantities divisible by 5.  Might as well stock up for that semi-auto.  

Yes they are.

https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/EN/US/Home/Brand/20

Several ammo companies are making .22Mag ammo designed for short barreled handguns now.  Winchester PDX, Hornady Critical Defense are two that I've tried in my NAA.  Both will penetrate three water filled milk jugs and the bullets show some expansion.  A friend has a .22Mag semi-auto (can't remember the brand) with an 8 inch barrel.  That extra barrel length makes a huge difference in velocity.  First milk jug explodes.

I posted several weeks (months?) ago about the little Heritage Rough Rider SAA-style .22LR revolver I bought, with an extra cylinder in .22mag. I would recommend it to anyone. I have gone out with my 11-yr-old grandson several times with it and he loves it. The mag round sounds bigger than .22 and is completely reliable.  Mine is the 4 1/2 " barrel; my son has the 6" barrel. He paid $99. for his on sale; I paid $160.,  for mine (plus $30. for the mag cylinder) because I wanted the shorter barrel which was not on sale. It looks great and shoots great and is cheap to buy. What's not to like!? I re-worked the cocobolo grips, re-shaped them somewhat and walnut stained it; looks fantastic.

Ornery Cuss

Archived