SASS Wire Forum

Some Common Sense PLEASE

Calamity Kris

I went into our local discount retailer to purchase a few items this afternoon.  The young person checking me out scanned a six pack of Gossling's Ginger Brew.  Now it really is a strong ginger ale.  There is no alcohol in it what so ever.  Well, this warning note flashed up on the register asking them to check my ID for the purchase.  They proceeded to look closely at one of the cans that clearly stated "Non Alcoholic".  They wouldn't proceed with the rest of my purchases until I showed them my ID.  I thought maybe they needed to enter my date of birth.  No.  Just looked at my ID and hit "enter".  There are so many things they could have done differently.  They could have looked at me, saw the grey hair and wrinkles and determined I was over 21.  They could have called their manager over and said we need to look into this because it's labeled wrong.  They could have just hit enter and moved on.  Nope.  They stood and said "I know it's a mistake but I still have to see your ID".  I'm quite tempted to call the store manager and tell them about this but I fear nothing would come of it.

Just needed to vent.  Thanks.

P.S.  The sugar free version didn't trigger the ID flag.  Only the regular version.

As someone that's ran a register, you can complain all you want but I'm still carding you if prompted.  I carded an 85 year old little man with an oxygen bottle with no regrets.  That's the job and you do the job right.

That's part of the job and that cashier can lose their job if they don't do it.  Nobody's working retail for fun these days.  The register area is just ate up with camera coverage and they can see what's on the screen in sync with the security footage.  Most chain have remote viewing and either regional and district managers are required to review so many hours per store per week or they have dedicated employees that do nothing but review the footage.  Don't think they aren't looking and don't think they aren't checking.

On top of that, if they do sell to someone underage and get caught, THEY get a personal fine along with the store.  That means that they are out of work AND owe the state a couple thousand bucks. 

Of course, when you complained to me, I would diffused the situation by shrugging and claiming that you looked like you were 19 to me. 

Hard for a man to get in trouble accusing a woman of being 19.:D

When I was a cashier, I always used my judgement and had to card anyone who "looked under 30" (it mighta been 40).  I carded all the ladies regardless of age and pointed to the sign if they looked puzzled or questioned me.  I was always amused that the only people who were ever indignant over it just happened to have 'left their ID' somewhere else. 

Oh and I was always confused on whether I had to card for near beer. 

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

I went into our local discount retailer to purchase a few items this afternoon.  The young person checking me out scanned a six pack of Gossling's Ginger Brew.  Now it really is a strong ginger ale.  There is no alcohol in it what so ever.  Well, this warning note flashed up on the register asking them to check my ID for the purchase.  They proceeded to look closely at one of the cans that clearly stated "Non Alcoholic".  They wouldn't proceed with the rest of my purchases until I showed them my ID.  I thought maybe they needed to enter my date of birth.  No.  Just looked at my ID and hit "enter".  There are so many things they could have done differently.  They could have looked at me, saw the grey hair and wrinkles and determined I was over 21.  They could have called their manager over and said we need to look into this because it's labeled wrong.  They could have just hit enter and moved on.  Nope.  They stood and said "I know it's a mistake but I still have to see your ID".  I'm quite tempted to call the store manager and tell them about this but I fear nothing would come of it.

Just needed to vent.  Thanks.

P.S.  The sugar free version didn't trigger the ID flag.  Only the regular version.

What Smuteye John said, it isn't up to the people running the register, they fail to card you, they get fired.

Too many lawyers, too many nannies in government and too much to risk in fines and loss of the store's license to sell alcohol.     Common sense isn't allowed anymore.

I understand Johnny's point. Job requirement is a job requirement.

BUT - I'm in my sixties. There ain't ANYTHING in this country I ain't old enough for. And I'll be damned if I'll show ID like some teenager trying to buy beer.

If the csshier insists, I'll tell her to get the manager. And yes, I realize that will take longer than just showing ID, but it's not about the time.

If the manager insists, I'll leave it all sitting on the counter and leave. Whatever it is, there's some place else to buy it.

Common sense ain't got nothing to do with it and the cashier is stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Store management is, too, come to think of it. 

Both of them are helpless to change the situation, and are likely to be punished if they try or make an exception, but are going to take the brunt of the irate customer's ire.

7 minutes ago, Chantry said:

What Smuteye John said, it isn't up to the people running the register, they fail to card you, they get fired.

Too many lawyers, too many nannies in government and too much to risk in fines and loss of the store's license to sell alcohol.     Common sense isn't allowed anymore.

I do understand that is the policy and I completely understand why.  If it were me, I would do as the register asked, knowing that was the policy but i would show some initiative and take the next step.  At least calling a supervisor over and pointing out the issue is a start.  Continuing to inconvenience each guest that purchases the product by making them show their ID just because the computer calls for it is ridiculous.  Get the item fixed in the system.

Just now, Calamity Kris said:

I do understand that is the policy and I completely understand why.  If it were me, I would do as the register asked, knowing that was the policy but i would show some initiative and take the next step.  At least calling a supervisor over and pointing out the issue is a start.  Continuing to inconvenience each guest that purchases the product by making them show their ID just because the computer calls for it is ridiculous.  Get the item fixed in the system.

In some chains, they don't have that ability at the store level anymore and corporate headquarters doesn't seem to really care about the inconvenience it causes when they make mistakes like that. 

Heck, our HVAC thermostat and lights were handled by corp headquarters.  That made things fun when we were having a heat wave while they were having a blizzard.

12 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

They will continue to inconvenience the customer as long as there is a possibility of someone filing a lawsuit or a state regulatory agency becoming involved.

While your specific case can and should be fixed, overall things won't change.  We're living a world where common sense and logic doesn't apply anymore.

Remember, the BATFE has run sting operations where they dress underage kids up in clothes/makeup (very realistic) and have them try to purchase these items claiming lost or forgotten ID.

If your problem is with having to show an ID, with all due respect, get over it.  Most of these people are just trying to do a job. 

As for Miss Kris, something should be said about whether the product needs it.

At a liquor store that I frequent that is owned and operated by middle eastern refugees the cute little gal behind the counter never asks for my ID but when I offer it she gets a good laugh out of it.

There are some states (such as Tennessee and Indiana) that requires carding with a photo ID to purchase alcohol, regardless of how old you look.

This isn't a question of carding everybody. There always have been some stores that do that, though it can be ridiculous.

The issue as I see it is that this was ginger beer. Ginger beer is soda pop. You don't have to be of age to buy it. Do they card for Root beer? No difference whatsoever.

For that matter, do they card for ginger ale?

:ph34r:  Calamity---  As stated above, corporate policy, mandates, inertia, etc.  Trying for common sense from current corporate America Retail is futile.  They are governed by lawyers and the idiotic no-fault jury award (reward?) injustice system. 

I enjoy running my store as counter to the Big Boxes' methods as possible, having felt the same kinds of frustrations  you mention.

Tell Uno "Hi" for us.

Bad & Goode Bascomb

The initial problem may be that Gosling's is a liquor brand, and the store's coding. that triggers the need for an ID, may be failing to distinguish between alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

As for universal carding and "common sense" - there is no such beast.  Many sports arenas and similar venues have adopted a "card everyone regardless rule" simply because otherwise you cannot prove, after an accident and a claim that you served an underage person, that you actually carded them.  You can put your counter person up on the stand, but he or she is not going t o remember the details of an individual purchase; you will not be able to prove that they used good judgment in assessing age.  So the only real defense is to be able to prove that you "card everyone", removing the questions of common sense and good judgment from the equation.  It's self-preservation - and for the retailer, plain common sense.

LL

2 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

There are some states (such as Tennessee and Indiana) that requires carding with a photo ID to purchase alcohol, regardless of how old you look.

Way back when I went to High School in Tennessee they changed the drinking age to 18. I went into a liquor store with a friend of my brother and he took 2 cases of beer to the counter and paid for them. He was 14 they didn't ask for ID. but that was a while ago.

Tennessee now requires stores to card for alcohol sales and for tobacco and ammunition.  The age to purchase alcohol and pistol ammunition is 21. Tobacco and rifle/shotgun ammo requires that you be 18. The law requires that EVERYONE be carded.

I see signs here that say, Warning: If you are over 35 you may be carded! Really???:o:wacko: What if they're 34?? How do they know you're over 35 without FIRST checking your ID??

Politicians come up with this stuff!!:angry:

Many moons ago when I was a senior in high school in Monte Vista, Colorado I was the distributor for the Rocky Mountain News and The Denver Post newspapers. One was delivered in the morning one in the afternoon. The paper bundles were delivered to my house and I would break them up and deliver them to my carriers and then make deliveries to the rural subscribers and the businesses. One business that I delivered to was a liquor store and I got along real well with the owner. Well one night some of my friends wanted me to buy some beer so I drove up to the store and bought the beer, no card no question asked. I was 16 at the time. Needless to say I became a real popular guy when word got out about my alcohol acquiring abilities. So I can totally understand why a store owner would card EVERYONE regardless of the age that they look. It’s called cover your a$$.

Whenever you have a zero tolerance law or policy, common sense is taken out of the equation. Sometimes it’s for the best.

Sometimes it’s not.

16 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Heck, our HVAC thermostat and lights were handled by corp headquarters.  That made things fun when we were having a heat wave while they were having a blizzard. 

My company does that too.  I kept a couple of CRT monitors hidden away to deal with it.  Just turn them on and set them under the thermostat to get it a few degrees colder.  If you need it even colder, hook up a computer and run a crazy screensaver instead of letting it shut off. 

My wife is 62. She loves to be carded. Makes her feel young for a split second. Lol

I suggest that the issue should be addressed when it happens. Call the manager/supervisor if necessary, 

but bring it to the attention of supervision. Otherwise it will continued unchecked for the next person in line. 

If you ignore the problem, it will not go away. I consider this issue to be covered by political correctness, 

of which I am an archenemy. Things may or may not change, but at least you added your opinion which is

just as important as the opinion of the person responsible for the matter in the first place. 

On 8/20/2018 at 5:30 PM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Common sense ain't got nothing to do with it and the cashier is stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Store management is, too, come to think of it. 

Both of them are helpless to change the situation, and are likely to be punished if they try or make an exception, but are going to take the brunt of the irate customer's ire.

Somebody created this idiotic policy and is capable of amending it.  Finding this target audience is your mission...

Seamus

37 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Somebody created this idiotic policy and is capable of amending it.  Finding this target audience is your mission...

Seamus

Quite true but you aren't going to find them at the store nor are you going to get face to face with them except by a quirk of fate or Divine intervention.  The culprit is most likely riding a desk at corporate headquarters and has never dealt wit a customer face to in their lives.

Sort of like the jeniuses (misspelled intentionally for sarcastic impact) that make the planograms that say where things go on the shelves.  They work off of dimensions given to them by the manufacturer and move things around on a computer program and have never worked a shelf in their lives.  Too bad in the real world packaging constantly changes and bonus sizes are not uncommon.  That means you end up with 4 feet, 2 or 3 inches worth of stuff you are supposed to squeeze into 4 feet.  Or a 6 pack case of a product and only room for 5.  And there's never a shelf stretcher in sight when you need one.

23 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Remember, the BATFE has run sting operations where they dress underage kids up in clothes/makeup (very realistic) and have them try to purchase these items claiming lost or forgotten ID.

If your problem is with having to show an ID, with all due respect, get over it.  Most of these people are just trying to do a job. 

As for Miss Kris, something should be said about whether the product needs it.

Not just ATF.  State beverage control, city and county sheriff's departments also will run them as well.  I've seen underage Police Explorers and cadets used for stings.

Archived