SASS Wire Forum

Who is this Father Kit Cool Gun Garth?

In a recent post, this question was asked:

2068704172_WhoisthisFather.JPG.46f97207fdc3c5715c7f154098469eea.JPG

So I thought I should provide some background.

I like to think of myself as a pioneer, venturing into a new territory, surveying the landscape and trying to find a place to call home and be amongst strangers that although we have never met in person, I can eventually call them my friends.

I first started posting to the SASS Wire I wanted to make my posts about a New Shooter to CAS. I couldn't find much in the forums that tracked the progress a new shooter made. Questions were asked by new shooters, and several answers were provided; however, nothing followed the progress of that new shooter, so with that in mind I started including the posting of videos and details of my progress so that other potential new shooters thinking about getting into the sport could see what they were up against.

I asked questions, researched the internet and with the assistance of the SASS community, hopefully left a trail they could follow.

Along the way, I looked for things that I felt would be helpful to the members and that's when I suggested creating the Abbreviations and Acronyms list which to date has been viewed 4,647 times.

1707286028_EmailtoAlliereAA.JPG.da0dc9aa4b4132f9e509efcd3f50a51e.JPG

2091150237_AbbreviationsandAcronyms.JPG.cb61cb72404cb9cbd7ac93f358102331.JPG732096030_AAReplies.JPG.b76ee3a86b97ab252d2af8f180574aad.JPG

As I became involved in the Wire, I wanted to get other Members involved as well, so I tried to come up with unique ideas such as the SASS WIRE Posse. I found that many a new member started posting questions to the Wire and were rarely acknowledged other than having their questions answered. I set up the Posse with the goal to encourage current members to extend a welcome to those new members and enlisted the assistance of Ms. Allie Mo to identify them for us. I began creating a variety of wanted posters specific to the new member, to eliminate the “clinical” aspect of the welcome...

5ab150c2b35e6_WantedPoster-TascoKid.JPG.ddbadd1c73ea809a74e190edcb5abfb6.JPG  

...and eventually came up with my own set of Welcome Declarations, as I like to call them.

5ab0043838a6d_WELCOMESTATEMENT-Condensed.thumb.JPG.563c8ed8d6f5c7079a2b565b4e33b0f6.JPG

I set a criteria of 5 posts to become a member of the Posse and created special badges they could use when they welcomed the new members. They were free to apply them to their own Avatar set up permanently, if they so desired.

5abaa14022a9d_LawmanMays-PosseMember.JPG.11350dff04d9361c577f64e1f83030f1.JPG

I also tracked all new members in a spreadsheet and periodically posted these totals. In addition, tracking was maintained of how many each member, even non-Posse members, had extended a welcome to.

5a7de2383208b_NewMemberStatistics.JPG.a7d48792dc6d199d5a646b02e8d151e8.JPG

I then noticed that there appeared to be a divide between those who posted to the SASS Wire and those who posted to the SASS Wire Saloon. There are many members who never venture to the SASS Wire Saloon forum.

Reading the types of posts that appeared on the SASS Wire Saloon forum, I again wanted to try and get more readers involved besides just reading other member posts.

So, I started a post with an opening paragraph of a western sort story. It required that each response be an addition to the storyline, and hopefully a cohesive short story would result. Eventual a title was chosen by the contributors and was eventually called "Rangers Justice".

608517300_RangersJusticeCoverPage.JPG.c2a605c39ea9c03932a12a2a28a997de.JPG1204350472_RangersJusticeBackPage.JPG.2edd1cdcd120a3f3a4f7db0deb1b87df.JPG

Sometimes I post items that I believe extend a feel of comradery. Such a case was last year when I posted a Santa wish list. This was a very time-consuming labor of LOVE tribute to our members by asking them what they wanted for Christmas, and then surprising them with pics of their individual gifts.  

In the past I have also created and posted numerous charts and graphs for example for last year's EOT.

5951323d09e64_2017EoTMensShootout.JPG.c7f592f81b35da4ed46df76b14ffbd84.JPG

I’ve created many a F.A.Q. tutorial that have been incorporated with step by step instructions along with pictures as to how things can be accomplished on the forums.

When I read other member posts, I will give a thanks THANKS.JPG.1cae1e7e8c17a01ce76e3125c00d049c.JPG to responses to questions I didn't ask, as a way of showing my appreciation for them for taking the time to respond, even if the OP didn't. IMHO, this should be a common courtesy extended to any member who responds to another member’s question.

I also like to include special posts created specifically for our readers. Case in point: When J. Bar Binks made a post and in it he alluded to his birth date, I marked my calendar for 2 weeks later and in the meantime created a birthday cake exclusively for him.

5a8194ef5ffdb_BirthdayCakeforJ-Bar.jpg-FINAL.thumb.jpg.710ca2b28946f02f8a0012bcc2ae42b8.jpg

In conclusion, some have implied that the proliferation of posts I make are a plea for attention, but I would counter that instead these same critics will start their own self-absorbed post drawing the attention to themselves.

This post, on the other hand, is meant only to provide an in-depth view of where I wascoming from; however, I’m sure my critics have other ideas.

If you have made it this far, I respectfully extend my gratitude for you taking the time to read this entire post.

I hope the effort I put into the forums was helpful.

I'll get off my soap box now and hopefully those reading this post will have a better understanding of who Father Kit "Cool Gun" Garth is, what I stand for, and more importantly the lengths I will go to, the commitment, and the thoughtfulness I infuse in creating my posts to either of the forums. There are others with the same mindset, and like them, I trust that you will see me as a contributor and not an egomaniac to forum posting.

I am leaving the forums indefinitely.

Best wishes to those that I have made friends with.

958322481_FKCGG-Sheriff.JPG.d5f5cbe47e4f964a21489775a82fe051.JPG

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I always enjoy Garth's posts... :)

And as always, I subscribe to the philosophy of "If ya don't like reading someone's posts... don't read 'em.  There's plenty of other folks who do!"  *#-o d'oh!

I also always enjoy Garth’s posts. I’m one of those folks who reads a lot and posts very little. I will miss his contributions to OUR forum. Hope he will reconsider and stay with us

Our county is becoming very intolerant of folks and views that are not exactly like ours. A small noisy minority try to run things for everyone else. Let’s think about the spirit and ideals of our game and try to apply them to the way we live our life’s. My way and thoughts are just that. If and when I voice them you can agree or not. That is one of the Great things about or country. 

I too yearn for the “ good old days”. But things change. Let’s evolve and enjoy life. There is room for all to enjoy what is

I’ll get off my soap box and get back to mowing. 

Don't stay gone to long Father. You will be missed. Like said above if you don't like reading someones post, then don't open it. And thanks for the posse badge, it sure helped to make me feel welcome when I started in this game!!!!

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

Dang those low down no good pole cats, another good one has left the forum because of those complainers. I'll have to leave it at that.

Kit,

I hope I showed my support of you adequately while I could. The special name I put on your avatar was a demonstration of my respect.

Do not let the haters chase you off. I've had the same people direct it at me. I decided to just ignore their pitiful attacks, which IMO say volumes about them.

Sincerely,

Allie

I hate to see this. While I don't have time to read every post, I did enjoy reading them. I do know what is meant by bullies. Some of the posts I read are very off-putting, and it seems like it's over the pettiest of issues. At times I wonder if the slogan shouldn't be "Come for the shooting, stay for the bickering." But, as in picking blackberries, just because I risk getting chiggers and a sour berry now and then, doesn't mean I'm going to stop enjoying it.

I've been lurking around the Saloon for as long as some, more than many.  Seems cowboys and cowgirls come and go.  A lot of the names and faces that were here 10 years ago have taken up new sunsets.  I don't post much anymore.  Don't have much to say or hasn't been said.  I rarely go to the Wire.  Gets too hot in there.  They need to take a chill pill.  Post all you want.  If you think your sense of humor is a bit bent, you are in good company.  If people get tired of your posts, they'll ignore them.  Those that aren't, won't.  If you have something on your mind, this is the place to spout off.  There is a lot of knowledge here as well.  Lots of grey hair and experience.  Some learned from others, some the hard way.

Don't take offense from some of the highbrows that visit here.  Some of them think they are too good for many of us and they probably are but this is the Saloon.  Sit back, have a drink, smoke a stogie if you have one, tell a bad story or a sad story.  This is a place to seek common company.

OK, so who are you? Just kidding. I always enjoy you posts, especially the cartoons. Please don't let other peoples pettiness run you off. We all have the freedom to choose which posts to read and which not to. If some people don't like or are tired of seeing your posts, then they have the option of not reading them. Take care and keep on posting.

Irish Tom.

Kit,

Don’t let anyone run you off.

You are as welcome as anyone else and more welcome than some (I’m kidding). ;)

I know sometimes I get a little flustered with things and I need to walk away. I don’t stay gone long, but I will say that the Saloon is my home. I don’t hang too much on the Wire. Not because of any one thing. It’s just that I just don’t take things all that serious and that irks some folks. To them I say :P

There are a few folks that get under my skin. I just ignore ‘em...except for that one guy...again, just kidding. :D

Take a break, Father Kit, and then come on back. We’ll leave a lantern burnin’ for ya.  :)

Every Forum needs a Father Kit.

Over time we have answered or debated nearly everything you can and any post just gets a flood of "read the back catalogue, we did that one already"

Contributors like Father Kit provide a different perspective ( we cant keep relying on ALPO to be the weird one:D) and a bit of fun as well as a circuit breaker when things get to serious.

The only thing worse than a forum full of stuff you don't want to read is one full of NOTHING!

Father Kits welcoming initiative alone makes him a contributor and not just another poster. 

Once you have ridden the boundary and cooled down a bit come on back and have some beef n beans at the fire, you will always be welcome to share my coffee ( I don't drink Kool Aid:blink:)

Don't leave us for too long Kit. Most of us will miss ya.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

It would be nice if some of the old “saloonatics” would do some posting so that we can see how it’s done. Most saloons I’ve been in there is a lot of fun and jocularity in play and I thought it was the same for this one maybe I was wrong. Come on Calico Mary post something like the old days so we can see what we’ve been missing.

I have not been a member of the forum for very long, but one of the biggest reasons I joined the forum and hang out in the saloon is father kit cool gun garth's sense of humor.

I have already been missing the comical posts. 

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

You are awesome thank you for all of the educational stuff, and the entertainment you have provided for so many.

I like Father Kit Cool Gun Garth and his humorous posts.  I say LYNCH HIM, ANYWAY!! No, I changed my mind.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

It would be nice if some of the old “saloonatics” would do some posting so that we can see how it’s done. Most saloons I’ve been in there is a lot of fun and jocularity in play and I thought it was the same for this one maybe I was wrong. Come on Calico Mary post something like the old days so we can see what we’ve been missing.

Still waiting.

39 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Still waiting.

You might check over in the Saloon is for Drinkin' thread or any number of other threads where she's active.

Some of what we USED to do is frowned upon now, so until the climate changes......

I'm just as happy to NOT click on some posts that don't interest me, but I can also understand others being frustrated when there are numerous threads started that only have a very few responses and it drives other, even long standing threads of interest off the front page, (and sometimes farther down). 

As to the ignore feature, it DOESN'T Hide threads. It only hides the comments of the individual selected.  

I don't want ANYONE to leave!!

I know that everyone won't be happy all the time.  I've even taken time off a time or two myself, rather than get in someone's face who desperately needed it.  I've ALSO been reprimanded for things that I STILL don't feel were wrong, but JUST ONE person took umbrage and I took the hit.  I guess some folks don't appreciate my sense of humor at times and I can live with that. Perhaps EVERYONE should take a step back, assess what they're doing and what they can do to make the "other side" a little more satisfied.  NOBODY has asked anyone to leave!!  There's PLENTY of room for everybody if they'll all pay attention to what the other one is sayin'!!  

It just seems like there's a difference of opinion as to the etiquette involved.

8 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

You might check over in the Saloon is for Drinkin' thread or any number of other threads where she's active.

Some of what we USED to do is frowned upon now, so until the climate changes......

I'm just as happy to NOT click on some posts that don't interest me, but I can also understand others being frustrated when there are numerous threads started that only have a very few responses and it drives other, even long standing threads of interest off the front page, (and sometimes farther down). 

As to the ignore feature, it DOESN'T Hide threads. It only hides the comments of the individual selected.  

I don't want ANYONE to leave!!

I know that everyone won't be happy all the time.  I've even taken time off a time or two myself, rather than get in someone's face who desperately needed it.  I've ALSO been reprimanded for things that I STILL don't feel were wrong, but JUST ONE person took umbrage and I took the hit.  I guess some folks don't appreciate my sense of humor at times and I can live with that. Perhaps EVERYONE should take a step back, assess what they're doing and what they can do to make the "other side" a little more satisfied.  NOBODY has asked anyone to leave!!  There's PLENTY of room for everybody if they'll all pay attention to what the other one is sayin'!!  

It just seems like there's a difference of opinion as to the etiquette involved.

Thanks for your response. I’m puzzled as to what’s expected of us anymore when we’re berated if we have a different sense of humor or enjoy something maybe someone else don’t. Things change, if they didn’t we’d all be dead. I enjoyed the new member greetings but a lot of people didn’t so they were done away with, seems kind of strange that we’re trying to encourage SASS growth but welcoming new members is frowned upon, go figure.

As far as the this Saloon is for drinking thread I checked in a couple of times and didn’t find it interesting so I haven’t checked in  again. It’s easy to not click on a thread if your not interested in it, just don’t click on it. There were some things Kit posted that didn’t strike me as humorous or worth my time so I didn’t open them up, pretty simple. I guess I could have left the Saloon in a huff but there’s other postings that I enjoy so I decided not to throw the baby out with the bath water. 

Not everyone will enjoy every post and that’s okay. As we continue to move into more advanced technology there will be more Father Kit Cool Gun Garth’s who understand a whole lot more about computers, programs, Yada, Yada, Yada than most of us do but to castigate him the way that he was is uncalled for, In My Opinion, of course, but that bell can’t be unrung. Maybe we all need lessons on how to be proper saloonatics since were failing so badly that the vast majority of past participants have pulled up their tent stakes.

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Thanks for your response. I’m puzzled as to what’s expected of us anymore when we’re berated if we have a different sense of humor or enjoy something maybe someone else don’t. Things change, if they didn’t we’d all be dead. I enjoyed the new member greetings but a lot of people didn’t so they were done away with, seems kind of strange that we’re trying to encourage SASS growth but welcoming new members is frowned upon, go figure.

As far as the this Saloon is for drinking thread I checked in a couple of times and didn’t find it interesting so I haven’t checked in  again. It’s easy to not click on a thread if your not interested in it, just don’t click on it. There were some things Kit posted that didn’t strike me as humorous or worth my time so I didn’t open them up, pretty simple. I guess I could have left the Saloon in a huff but there’s other postings that I enjoy so I decided not to throw the baby out with the bath water. 

Not everyone will enjoy every post and that’s okay. As we continue to move into more advanced technology there will be more Father Kit Cool Gun Garth’s who understand a whole lot more about computers, programs, Yada, Yada, Yada than most of us do but to castigate him the way that he was is uncalled for, In My Opinion, of course, but that bell can’t be unrung. Maybe we all need lessons on how to be proper saloonatics since were failing so badly that the vast majority of past participants have pulled up their tent stakes.

Like others, I don’t want anyone to leave either.

From standpoint it’s the sheer quantity of new threads being started every day. I don’t think anyone had a problem with welcoming new members, I certainly didn’t. But what I did have a problem with was 10+ in a single day. Same with some others creating 5+ new threads every day. 

Several of us participate in the Wordy Words thread. How would everyone feel if we started creating a new thread for every word instead of replying to the one thread?

I think it a reasonable compromise for Father Kit to start a new thread every week and post in that, call it the FKCGG Weekly digest; same for couple of others to be honest.

6 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I've been lurking around the Saloon for as long as some, more than many.  Seems cowboys and cowgirls come and go.  A lot of the names and faces that were here 10 years ago have taken up new sunsets.  I don't post much anymore.  Don't have much to say or hasn't been said.  I rarely go to the Wire.  Gets too hot in there.  They need to take a chill pill.  Post all you want.  If you think your sense of humor is a bit bent, you are in good company.  If people get tired of your posts, they'll ignore them.  Those that aren't, won't.  If you have something on your mind, this is the place to spout off.  There is a lot of knowledge here as well.  Lots of grey hair and experience.  Some learned from others, some the hard way.

Don't take offense from some of the highbrows that visit here.  Some of them think they are too good for many of us and they probably are but this is the Saloon.  Sit back, have a drink, smoke a stogie if you have one, tell a bad story or a sad story.  This is a place to seek common company.

Best post!

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

From standpoint it’s the sheer quantity of new threads being started every day. I don’t think anyone had a problem with welcoming new members, I certainly didn’t. But what I did have a problem with was 10+ in a single day. Same with some others creating 5+ new threads every day. 

Several of us participate in the Wordy Words thread. How would everyone feel if we started creating a new thread for every word instead of replying to the one thread?

I think it a reasonable compromise for Father Kit to start a new thread every week and post in that, call it the FKCGG Weekly digest; same for couple of others to be honest.

Personally I didn’t see anything wrong with welcoming 10+ in a single day, I thought it was a positive signal of SASS growth, boy was I wrong. Why limit the number of posts someone wants to start? You don’t have to open them. 

38 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Personally I didn’t see anything wrong with welcoming 10+ in a single day, I thought it was a positive signal of SASS growth, boy was I wrong. Why limit the number of posts someone wants to start? You don’t have to open them. 

43 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I don't have ANY problem with welcoming new members!!  I PREFER a thread, pinned perhaps, that allows new members to introduce themselves and allow those who wish to, to post a welcome message!!  This works well on two other large forums that I frequent. REALLY WELL!!!

I see no reason to limit the number of posts someone is allowed to make in a day, or the number of threads someone can start. I DO think that everyone should give consideration for others!

Always enjoy Father Kit's posts..a wonderful contributor to the wire..hope you come back back after a while. The nay sayers are just wankers !

As I said elsewhere, if I had to make a complaint, it would be that the large number of posts pushes other material I'm following to the second or third page, and can cause a loss of interest in it as people look at the newer posts. Looking at it from a positive perspective, though, it opens up more material that I might otherwise not see.

Hi Folks,

Let me set the record straight on the Welcome posts. There were only about three a day, never 10+. The one day where so many appeared on the first page was when someone returned from an absence and responded to all that he had missed.

Regards,

Allie

The life was sucked out of this forum a long time ago, and it may never recover. Too many of the old Saloonatics have left for good. Others have quit posting. Hopefully with the new Saloon management, the folks will start drifting back in, light  up a nickle ceegar, pour three fingers of scamper juice, and put some fun back in this place. Shoot, we might even get that lousy piano player to come back in here.

We used to have a lot of fun bashing one another other the head with bar stools, while Calico Mary flew around the Saloon on her broom, cackling like a setting hen. We'd keep running stories going. Flint McCloud, gone for good. Yellowhouse Sam, gone for good. Apache Hawk, gone for good... so many good folks ran off. I don't know if the Saloon will ever get back to its glory days. Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, be kind to one another. Bahahahaha! Just kidding, I'm not being kind to anybody. Kiss my grits, you bunch of reprobates! :wacko:

11 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

The life was sucked out of this forum a long time ago, and it may never recover. Too many of the old Saloonatics have left for good. Others have quit posting. Hopefully with the new Saloon management, the folks will start drifting back in, light  up a nickle ceegar, pour three fingers of scamper juice, and put some fun back in this place. Shoot, we might even get that lousy piano player to come back in here.

We used to have a lot of fun bashing one another other the head with bar stools, while Calico Mary flew around the Saloon on her broom, cackling like a setting hen. We'd keep running stories going. Flint McCloud, gone for good. Yellowhouse Sam, gone for good. Apache Hawk, gone for good... so many good folks ran off. I don't know if the Saloon will ever get back to its glory days. Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, be kind to one another. Bahahahaha! Just kidding, I'm not being kind to anybody. Kiss my grits, you bunch of reprobates! :wacko:

Just so happens that I talked to YellowHouse Sam the other day!!  He lost his wife earlier this year and the family's had some other troubles, but he's doing okay!  He said that he might poke his head in once in a while.

I heard that Hawk was over on FB.  Tennessee Stud is a friend and neighbor, but he'll never be back here.  Ain't heard from Flint McCloud in over two years!! I need to check on Cherokee Charlie!! 

Archived