SASS Wire Forum

Super Bowl - Nope

Won't be watching it today.

Not that I'd planned to anyway, but for some strange reason the Magnavox LCD tv displays the message "Scrambled program" on that local channel.

And this is antenna, not cable or satellite.

How odd!  

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That’s weird.

'Tis that.

Just went out and checked the antenna... seems some tree foliage has drooped around it.  And it'll remain drooped around it for a while ~ tree is covered with tiny blooms, and for every bloom there's a bee!  I haven't seen a bee 'round here ever, and now there's a zillion of 'em.  bee

Go for it guys, I'm in no hurry!  :rolleyes:

Nope  quit watching after they decided to use their job for a personal platform. Been seeing a lot of tickets for sale at a discount

2 minutes ago, Clay Mosby said:

As a die hard Patriots Fan I will keep tabs of the score, but will not watch. NFL has made it clear what they think of me and my values, so they can go pound sand.

The Patriots didn't kneel all year if I remember correctly, so go Patriots!!

Well,

How do you feel after an incident with a firearm occurs and right away ALL members of the NRA are blamed. Then all gun owners are deemed responsible for the gun violence and all guns are bad. Kind of like blaming all football players & the NFL for the actions of a few. 

Hasta Luego, Keystone 

It's  not even close to painting all members of the NRA the same.  This is a job related political stunt that the NFL  is allowing to continue.  The owners and the league could stop it but apparently have decided not too.  So, I vote with my wallet and won't watch.

4 minutes ago, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

Well,

How do you feel after an incident with a firearm occurs and right away ALL members of the NRA are blamed. Then all gun owners are deemed responsible for the gun violence and all guns are bad. Kind of like blaming all football players & the NFL for the actions of a few. 

Hasta Luego, Keystone 

Well said, Keystone.

I'm pretty much done with the whole protest thing. I partly agree with the issue they're trying to bring to the forefront, but think their method has done more harm than good.

To the folks who get their dander up and claim they're doing it for veterans, please relax.  I'm a veteran and not offended in the least. 

I'll watch the game as part of hanging out with my son and his wife, but it's hard to "cheer" when the two teams on the field are my least favorite in the NFL.

28 minutes ago, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

Well,

Hasta Luego, Keystone 

Sigh,  when I say NFL I am referring to the owners and Goodell.  Sheesh

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The Patriots didn't kneel all year if I remember correctly, so go Patriots!!

Actually the Patriots had 17 incidents of kneeling in 2017. The eagles never had one single incident. 

My boycott started last year when the NFL allowed just one player to disrespect the national anthem under the guise of protesting all police officers as racist, bigoted murderers.  My boycott is for showing my support and respect of our law enforcement people who do a job deserving of our gratitude; a job certainly much more important than playing a game.  The NFL could have nipped the disrespect in the bud when it started with one player in NFL colors.  The NFL let the bad behavior of their employees while wearing NFL colors escalate much further.  I doubt it makes a spit of difference to anyone, but the NFL has now lost me for life. 

-

With the kneeling issue and the NFL rejecting the AmVets ad in the printed program, I will find something better to do. I hope the Pats beat the Eagles badly because of the Eagles support of Michael Vick. 

What Clay and Redleg said, and I have to disagree with the NRA argument.

Last I heard the NRA leadership was neither endorsing nor supporting those responsible for "incidents with firearms."

NFL management and ownership, however, has continued to support the "misguided" (my word, not theirs) protesting players rather than the fans and even the non-protesting players.  

Managers and owners made their choices.  So have I.  ;)

Even before I knew the TV wouldn't get that channel.  :rolleyes:

I watched the pre-game ceremonies, including the singing of "America The Beautiful", followed by the National Anthem, sung by "Pink".  The camera panned along the players in closeups.  There did NOT seem to be any kneeling, though some had their heads bowed, even though they did have their hands over their hearts. A few just stood there.  For the coin toss, they had 16 living Medal Of Honor recipients, and the actual coin toss was by a Marine who was awarded his for action on Iwo Jima!  Not sure how much of the game I'll watch, as the Denver Donkeys aren't playing. My wife wants Philly to win as she was born there, and I couldn't care less!

BTW, spring training starts in a few weeks! :) Hope the Rockies have a good year, because a bunch of their key players will be free agents after this coming season! :unsure:

Nope x 100.

6 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Nope x 100.

With you ol pard, wouldn't watch that bunch of ingrates if they paid me.  SCJ

I won't be watching, but because I tend to find the game boring anymore, and I'm not a fan of either team. Any interest I have is directly related to friends who are fans. I'd rather watch college of any level or high school ball.

As for people kneeling, I've heard all of the arguments, for and against. Kaepernick initially sat until he was told (by a vet, if I recall) that was disrespectful and taking a knee would be more appropriate. I also agree the NFL has bungled the issue from the outset, and continues to do so. But I've taken multiple oaths, in a number of capacities, to defend the Constitution. I still stand by those oaths, and that means allowing people freedom of speech and to express their beliefs. I may not agree with how they are expressing them, or even what is being said, but to this day, I'm willing to put my life on the line to allow them the right.

Quite frankly, I have far more problem with the limitations on speech occurring on college campuses, government venues and other places than someone "making a statement" by taking a knee. Seems a more important priority to me.

3 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Actually the Patriots had 17 incidents of kneeling in 2017. The eagles never had one single incident. 

I guess it was Tom Brady and most of the team that DIDN'T kneel but then there's this about the Eagles:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2018/01/31/eagles-torrey-smith-wont-visit-white-house-super-bowl-2018-donald-trump/1083341001/

1 minute ago, Henry T Harrison said:

She was such class act she spit her gum on the field

52 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well .. you would think that the NFL would hire someone who could at least touch the notes as she slid past them.  That butchering of the National Anthem was painful to listen to. 

One of the worst renditions of the Anthem I've ever heard!:angry:

I have no idea who she is, but Fox News said she had the flu - caught it from her "two small Petri dish kids."  She said she'd dreamed of doing this for years and gave it her best.  :mellow:

Considering some of the abominable renditions over the years, I might be inclined to give her a bit of slack.  

I just listened. I've heard far, far worse renditions. They've also been saying she has the flu, or some sort of bug, and that it was a cough drop she had in her mouth, not gum.

52 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I just listened. I've heard far, far worse renditions. They've also been saying she has the flu, or some sort of bug, and that it was a cough drop she had in her mouth, not gum.

I've also heard worse.  Much worse.  My point was that at this, the biggest football spectacle of the season,  the NFL would hire someone who could nail it.

I had no problem with the gum/cough drop.  Gotta keep the mechanism moist and loose.

If she does have whatever crud is going around,  she has my sympathy. 

Archived