SASS Wire Forum

Super Bowl - Nope

43 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've also heard worse.  Much worse.  My point was that at this, the biggest football spectacle of the season,  the NFL would hire someone who could nail it.

I had no problem with the gum/cough drop.  Gotta keep the mechanism moist and loose.

If she does have whatever crud is going around,  she has my sympathy. 

I've heard worse at huge spectacles, they seem to bring out the worst. While she didn't sing it completely "straight," she certainly didn't play with the tune the way many performers do in an effort to "make it their own," or whatever it is they do. I still say that Whitney Houston's version at the 1991 Super Bowl was the best and the worst version I can think of. The best because of her amazing voice and the fact that it was exactly what we needed as a country preparing for war to lift our spirits. I still remember having goose bumps as I watched and listened. It was the worst because every performer since who thinks they have the talent tries to duplicate it or better it.

Done with the NFL. Instead of watching the National Felons League, wife and I shopped online for cowboy clothes, mostly formal outfits, after we got home from seeing  "Hostiles." If I get the urge to see felons in uniforms perform an exercise, there is a Federal Prison about 25 minutes away. I can drive by and watch them out in the yard. Plus a good burger joint in the area doesn't hurt either.

14 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My boycott started last year when the NFL allowed just one player to disrespect the national anthem under the guise of protesting all police officers as racist, bigoted murderers.  My boycott is for showing my support and respect of our law enforcement people who do a job deserving of our gratitude; a job certainly much more important than playing a game.  The NFL could have nipped the disrespect in the bud when it started with one player in NFL colors.  The NFL let the bad behavior of their employees while wearing NFL colors escalate much further.  I doubt it makes a spit of difference to anyone, but the NFL has now lost me for life. 

-

Very well said, Its called "The National Anthem" for a reason. It was written during a time of war, yes as a poem. But in it written that during a barrage, come morning our flag, a symbol for Freedom was still waving. During History, people have shed blood to preserve Freedom, for the Nation and many times gone overseas to help others in their quest. Its a symbol, if we lose it, what will we have left? Why blame and use it as a method of protest? What has the flag or Anthem caused to deserve such disrespect?

Whatever these protesters are against, or what their protest is, it should not be against or a time when we show respect for our flag, our Republic,  and what it stands for, by singing the National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner. Its disrespect no and ifs about it.

If these players want to protest, rather they should use their time and money in the communities instead, to make a difference, and I might stand behind them.

Not watching Football, shows my support for what I believe, and shows that I don't support those who use the Flag for their protest and disrespect.

Yes, it bothers me what I see and goes on, because I know and also what the Flag and hearing the National Anthem played symbolizes, what we sought.

I'm going to take sometime off, I'm sure I have upset some with my writing. I'll sit back for a short period to clear the air. MT

12 hours ago, DocWard said:

I won't be watching, but because I tend to find the game boring anymore, and I'm not a fan of either team. Any interest I have is directly related to friends who are fans. I'd rather watch college of any level or high school ball.

As for people kneeling, I've heard all of the arguments, for and against. Kaepernick initially sat until he was told (by a vet, if I recall) that was disrespectful and taking a knee would be more appropriate. I also agree the NFL has bungled the issue from the outset, and continues to do so. But I've taken multiple oaths, in a number of capacities, to defend the Constitution. I still stand by those oaths, and that means allowing people freedom of speech and to express their beliefs. I may not agree with how they are expressing them, or even what is being said, but to this day, I'm willing to put my life on the line to allow them the right.

Quite frankly, I have far more problem with the limitations on speech occurring on college campuses, government venues and other places than someone "making a statement" by taking a knee. Seems a more important priority to me.

I hope you realize that the first Amendment does not have anything to do with on the job freedom of speech - only that the government shall not limit it.  So your oath and mine to the Constitution have nothing to do with what these clowns are doing being disrespectful to this nation.

1 hour ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

I hope you realize that the first Amendment does not have anything to do with on the job freedom of speech - only that the government shall not limit it.  So your oath and mine to the Constitution have nothing to do with what these clowns are doing being disrespectful to this nation.

Do your really feel the need to be pedantic about protecting speech? Because really, if you do, I can be quite the pedant.

I didn’t watch. Woke up to Fox News and got the info. Congrats to the Eagles. Sad side: they won and still went about wrecking the city. Sad day for winners. I think this is a bad sign for things to come. 

18 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I didn’t watch. Woke up to Fox News and got the info. Congrats to the Eagles. Sad side: they won and still went about wrecking the city. Sad day for winners. I think this is a bad sign for things to come. 

I expoected nothing else. It's Philadelphia. :(

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Philly fans are the reason I didn’t particularly want them to win. They’ve been ugly for generations. 

As I recall the City of Brotherly Love is the only one to have a jail within their stadium.

15 hours ago, DocWard said:

I've heard worse at huge spectacles, they seem to bring out the worst. While she didn't sing it completely "straight," she certainly didn't play with the tune the way many performers do in an effort to "make it their own," or whatever it is they do. I still say that Whitney Houston's version at the 1991 Super Bowl was the best and the worst version I can think of. The best because of her amazing voice and the fact that it was exactly what we needed as a country preparing for war to lift our spirits. I still remember having goose bumps as I watched and listened. It was the worst because every performer since who thinks they have the talent tries to duplicate it or better it.

The only problem with Whitney's rendition it was a studio recording and she lip-synced the performance.

54 minutes ago, Noz said:

The only problem with Whitney's rendition it was a studio recording and she lip-synced the performance.

My understanding is that she pre-recorded it, as numerous other performers have done, per NFL request/choice. While she did sing live, her mic was off, and the pre-recorded version is what was aired. Without doubt, we were listening to her, though. I didn't know it at the time, and I was in awe of what I heard. I still have a feeling of amazement when I hear it, even knowing it was pre-recorded.

20 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Every time I play that my computer screen gets foggy!

It sends a shiver down my spine, and sends me back in time, when I had friends in harm's way, and I sat at Ft. Sam Houston waiting and wondering if I would be going into it myself.

17 hours ago, DocWard said:

My understanding is that she pre-recorded it, as numerous other performers have done, per NFL request/choice. While she did sing live, her mic was off, and the pre-recorded version is what was aired. Without doubt, we were listening to her, though. I didn't know it at the time, and I was in awe of what I heard. I still have a feeling of amazement when I hear it, even knowing it was pre-recorded.

Roseanne Barr didn’t record hers. Disgraceful.  We could have used Whitney Houston that night.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:37 PM, Clay Mosby said:

As a die hard Patriots Fan I will keep tabs of the score, but will not watch. NFL has made it clear what they think of me and my values, so they can go pound sand.

Patriot Fan too. Skipped the Super Bowl too,  after all the BS.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:52 PM, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

Well,

How do you feel after an incident with a firearm occurs and right away ALL members of the NRA are blamed. Then all gun owners are deemed responsible for the gun violence and all guns are bad. Kind of like blaming all football players & the NFL for the actions of a few. 

Hasta Luego, Keystone 

Really?  Kind of a difference from people not wanting to support these protests, and others trying to take away our second amendment rights. As a veteran who deployed to protect those players rights I agree they have a right to kneel. Why is it I don’t have the right to not financially support the disrespect of our flag by not buying tickets or watching?  Keep in mind the NFL refused a advertisement by a veteran organization saying “Please Stand For Our Flag” because they “Didnt want the Super Bowl to be political” after letting the whole season be full of politics. Seems the only politics the NFL doesn’t want are patriotic politics. 

3 minutes ago, County Jr said:

Why is it I don’t have the right to not financially support the disrespect of our flag by not buying tickets or watching?  Keep in mind the NFL refused a advertisement by a veteran organization saying “Please Stand For Our Flag” because they “Didnt want the Super Bowl to be political” after letting the whole season be full of politics. Seems the only politics the NFL doesn’t want are patriotic politics. 

You do have that right, clearly.

As for the advertisement, I was initially quite upset. I still believe it could've been handled better and I am not sure we are getting the full story, but I would suggest reading this:

https://www.stripes.com/news/nfl-rejects-super-bowl-ad-from-veterans-group-that-asks-players-to-stand-during-anthem-1.507977

McCarthy said AMVETS was given a chance to amend their ad from “Please Stand” to other options, such as “Please Honor Our Veterans” or “Please Stand for Our Veterans.”

He noted an ad from Veterans of Foreign Wars was approved for the program. It reads, “We Stand For Veterans.”

Production on the programs was delayed while they awaited an answer from AMVETS, McCarthy said, and the NFL ultimately printed the programs without the ad in order to meet deadlines.

Chenelly disputes the NFL didn’t heard back from AMVETS in time for printing. He said the group responded to the league that changing the words on their ad would mean abandoning their message.

AMVETS, an organization comprising approximately 250,000 veterans and 1,400 posts nationwide, sent a letter to Goodell on Monday calling the decision to exclude their ad an affront to free speech.

18 minutes ago, DocWard said:

You do have that right, clearly.

As for the advertisement, I was initially quite upset. I still believe it could've been handled better and I am not sure we are getting the full story, but I would suggest reading this:

https://www.stripes.com/news/nfl-rejects-super-bowl-ad-from-veterans-group-that-asks-players-to-stand-during-anthem-1.507977

Oh I see now. I should support the league that has special hoops for AMVETS to jump thru, but didn’t fine Kaepernick for the Pig Socks?  Not to mention letting Michael Vick back in. A man who had mass graves on his property so full that would make Hitler blush. Personally I think Kaepernick should have a place in the NFL if your gonna let Vick back. There is no law against being a Ass****, but I don’t have to put money in their pocket.  Don’t forget the Steelers leaving their veteran team mate as the only one out there for the pledge of allegiance. If you want to watch, watch. I don’t think any less of you.

4 minutes ago, County Jr said:

Oh I see now. I should support the league that has special hoops for AMVETS to jump thru, but didn’t fine Kaepernick for the Pig Socks?  Not to mention letting Michael Vick back in. A man who had mass graves on his property so full that would make Hitler blush. Personally I think Kaepernick should have a place in the NFL if your gonna let Vick back. There is no law against being a Ass****, but I don’t have to put money in their pocket.  Don’t forget the Steelers leaving their veteran team mate as the only one out there for the pledge of allegiance. If you want to watch, watch. I don’t think any less of you.

I am completely dumbfounded as to how you read my post and got to your conclusion. It is seldom I am at a loss for words here, but this is one of those times. You might, however, go back and re-read my prior posts on this thread or others like it.

19 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I am completely dumbfounded as to how you read my post and got to your conclusion. It is seldom I am at a loss for words here, but this is one of those times. You might, however, go back and re-read my prior posts on this thread or others like it.

My a rebuttal is to your AMVETS being offered to change their message. I feel the NFL seems to pick and choose who they want to censor.  That is their right since they are a private business, but I don’t have to support them. I see your post and agree about the college campuses. Your post about AMVETS doesn’t change my mind though. I’m aware you didn’t watch. Guess the communication problem is some was a direct response to you, and other parts were a blanket response to the argument of why I should watch. 

1 minute ago, County Jr said:

My a rebuttal is to your AMVETS being offered to change their message. I feel the NFL seems to pick and choose who they want to censor.  That is their right since they are a private business, but I don’t have to support them. I see your post and agree about the college campuses. Your post about AMVETS doesn’t change my mind though. I’m aware you didn’t watch. Guess the communication problem is some was a direct response to you, and other parts were a blanket response to the argument of why I should watch. 

Gotcha!

5 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Superbowl ratings were down 7% the boycott is working

LoL. Not sure that’s a accurate number, but wouldn’t surprise me. Whatever the number it’s a fairly safe bet that at least 2/3 of people who skipped the Super Bowl skipped for other reasons. The biggest being other entertainment options. This is what has been hurting Baseball too, and Baseball hasn’t had the controversy lately. The igeneration will have far less fans then my or your generation. Not because of politics, but because with all the entertainment options out there. 

Last I heard the ratings were down 3%. Watching a Jeopardy show the other night and one of the columns was football. The three contestants all looked to be in their 20’s and 30’s and not one of them were able to answer one of the clues and they weren’t that difficult. It seems to me that the NFL may not be that popular with that age group. I asked both of my older grandkids about the Super Bowl and neither one of them had plans to watch it or go to a SB party, they’re in their 20’s. 

Archived