SASS Wire Forum

Spotters - minimum age requirement?

Chief Rick

Is there, or has there been, a minimum age requirement for spotters?

I can't find a reference to say there is, but at a match not too long ago I was told it was 18.

Can't find anything in the current shooter's handbook to agree with that. 

Probably not completely spelled out, but there are more important qualifications for being a spotter than age. 

Do they generally know the rules?

Can they see and hear a hit?

Will they pay attention?

Many times pretty young kids are better than some of the rest of us!

2 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

That's the truth! 

2 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Probably not completely spelled out, but there are more important qualifications for being a spotter than age. 

Do they generally know the rules?

Can they see and hear a hit?

Will they pay attention?

Yes they are! And it gets them involved. Some shooters don't like the kids timing or spotting for them but they have to learn. I'm not winning the Caddy so let them time/spot for me. 

Seen being a spotter turn an antsy kid real serious about what he was doing real quick.

No rule sets an age limit.  Use common sense and be willing to treat them as an adult.  

They almost always will delight you with how well they can spot!

Good luck, GJ

I try to get any new shooters, including young ones, to spot.  It's a good way for them to learn sequences and learn about edge hits and bounces into the back berm.

36 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

But the ugly ones try harder. :P:ph34r::D

Marauder, I couldn't agree with you more. I know a 13-year-old who knows the rules better than 99% of adults. Accurate spotting without being influenced by others is a cakewalk for him. 

They need to learn at some stage so why not. In Aus we let them spot but not for the top shooters ( unless requested ) and they have an adult shooter each to supervise them.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Will they pay attention?

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

With that in mind, we as a TO have other things to consider.

How will they learn if they don't ever do it. We don't want to do anything to discourage the younguns. If we see a spotter......any spotter......not doing their job we need to remind them the they want someone who pays attention while they are shooting. If you have a new spotter.....once again, any spotter....who might be doing their job, put another cowboy with them as a mentor to compare what they saw.

I learned the game by standing with the spotters & asking questions if I didn't get what they got.  So when our grandsons started shooting, that's what I urged them to do (besides picking brass & setting targets, of course).

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I prefer spotters over the age of 95 when I'm shooting.......they just seem to have less misses in them than the young 'ens.

Not me. I make so much smoke that most spotters tell me they have to listen instead of look for hits (don't get me started) and people over 90 tend to not have the best hearing.

If you want the kids to learn to be good spotters, you have to let them spot. What irks me is people who have this idea that kids should always, and only pick brass. If you want to keep them coming back, you have to make them a part of the posse, not just a person who does the unwanted job. 

There is no reason why a shooter old enough to shoot can't do most posse chores.

Spotting and brass picking are a good place to start.

At the unloading table they can learn the different kind of firearms used as well as making sure they are unloaded.

If they are old enough to load their own gun then they are old enough to check and see if someone else gun is loaded properly.

They can reset targets as well if not better than us old folks.

I will exempt them from being a Timing Operator until they are experienced enough to assist a shooter through the stage. Remember tat there are full grown healthy people that cannot do this job well.

I have observed young buckaroos who were very good spotters and other, older buckaroos who didn't pay attention.

It all depends on the person and their level of interest and attention.

I recall telling one youngster not to be intimidated by a bunch of adults: When he was working the loading or unloading tables or potting he was the boss.

never shot a shoot where a spotter was not also a shooter - i have had young shooters spot - they did real well , i have shot major matches where non-shooter kids picked brass and they did real fine , some times there is a small collection taken to thank them for doing the bending over , i think it might have a lot to do with the macherity displayed by the kid 

There are Buckeroos  that I prefer as spotters over any others as spotters ...

A couple come to mind they are very fast and accurate shooters, and really care about doing the job right ...

They have young eyes and are not afraid to move to get a better angle to spot from ...

Jabez Cowboy

Just for everyone's information.

A Spotter is a designated Range Officer. As such, they should have taken and passed an RO-I course.

There is no age minimum for taking this course.

3 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Just for everyone's information.

A Spotter is a designated Range Officer. As such, they should have taken and passed an RO-I course.

There is no age minimum for taking this course.

I think it would narrow down the number of spotters if RO1 was required. 

1 hour ago, Volga Vigilante said:

It is a requirement for State and above matches.

19 hours ago, watab kid said:

never shot a shoot where a spotter was not also a shooter

Back in the day I was frequently the only spotter, besides the TO.

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

First time I've ever heard such a thing. Where can I read that piece of information for myself? I can't find it?

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

23 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

First time I've ever heard such a thing. Where can I read that piece of information for myself? I can't find it?

• All Range Officers must have completed the SASS Basic Range Operations Safety Course. (RO I)

2019 SASS® STATE ACTION SHOOTING CHAMPIONSHIP APPLICATION AND AGREEMENT

Well I'll be danged. New one on me. Never happen. Not enough people have taken the course on an average posse I've been on. Same people doing it all on every stage then. 

I and my daughter have had it. 

On 1/10/2018 at 6:25 PM, Smokestack said:

If you want the kids to learn to be good spotters, you have to let them spot. What irks me is people who have this idea that kids should always, and only pick brass. If you want to keep them coming back, you have to make them a part of the posse, not just a person who does the unwanted job. 

Thank you , Thank you,  Thank You , from a father of two.

I’ve heard it way to many times ,” they are young and can bend over better” !!  I expect mine to help out on the posse BUT DONT tell my child “ hey , start picking up Brass your younger “ all the while they sit their over weight butt on a stool or guncart the entire time . :(

7 hours ago, Volga Vigilante said:

Volga Vigilante that would be all the more reason to take the RO I course.

I'm with Ace of Hearts.  As far as I'm concerned everyone who shoots (regardless of age) should take an RO I course some time in their first year of shooting!!  The RO I course is the backbone of everything we do, it gives us an understanding of the game we play, how to play it safely and how to play it fairly.  It also taught me how much work and effort our range officers go through to keep us all safe as we play the best game in the world!!!!!

There's no minimum age for taking the courses and a new shooter (of any age) starting out with the RO I course under their belt has the understanding to get the most out of the game.  Shooting is certainly a big part of the fun but so is helping with all of the posse chores.  That was another thing I learned at the first RO course I attended.  Oh yeah one more thing don't forget the ladies, they are quite capable of doing a lot more than score keeping.  My wife Granny One Shot attended the same RO I & RO II courses as I did and can pick brass, spot, run the timer as well as score keep.  Heck she even taught me how to score keep.

Grey Beard 

Archived