SASS Wire Forum

Steampunk and SASS

Hurricane Deck 100366

Curious as to what the official SASS position is on steampunk.

Is the type of customer merely "tolerated" or is it officially recognized as an acceptable period costume being constrained by category? If so, which categories are acceptable?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How to say this delicately...

Steampunk a rogue category. :lol:

Just like Outlaw. I don't know if they have a website yet that has official rules (like Outlaw).

Rolan Kraps could answer your other questions.

I was just passing by and thought I'd stop by and cause some trouble. :P:lol:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Well, Knuckles and Waimea pretty much covered it. Not a category at all, embraced by some, embarrasses others. Me, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Lots of people are "aging out" of SASS. I never went to "the movies" on Saturday afternoon to see the "Oaters" or "Serials".

I have STILL never sat through a Roy Rogers film.

My first exposure to a "Western" that I wanted to watch was "The Wild, Wild, West". All the great contraptions and action.

I've always loved Science Fiction, so Victorian Science Fiction works for me. I've been shooting CAS for 16 years now, and this keeps me feeling young. Also lots of younger shooters find Steampunk cool. If it pulls in more shooters, I'm for it (and yeah, I find it fun).

Justice Lilly Kate and the Judge said that they have dressed Steampunk as well. That was mentioned by Kate (Happy Birthday, Kate) in another thread about Steampunk.

This is a "Fantasy" sport, so as far as Steampunk goes,,, "It's all part, of my Cowboy Shooting Fantasy, It's all part, of my Cowboy Shooting Dream....., Yeah"

I think it's kinda cool actually. I'm not going to go that route but I like reading steampunk literature.

It might attract younger shooters too.

+1000

Who knows b western has a category maybe steam punk . I know we have enough categories but maybe it will interest younger shootets

I would love to see a steam punk category. I have been working on an outfit and tying to get everything right to fit my persona. If there is a actual category for it made I will definitely dress up to the nine for that.

I've seen a lot of costuming at events that I wouldn't consider cowboy. People dressed in Star Wars costumes and other such things, yet they still shoot in a non costuming category like Rolan said. Personally I thinks it's pretty cool and adds even more fun and a bit of levity to the sport. I can't imagine a Senior Frontier Steampunk Gunfighter category being added but is certainly wouldn't want to discourage folks from showing up in cool costumes and having fun. ;). Edit....and let me add that I wouldn't be against a steampunk category.

I have done steampunk or rather as I prefer Foglio's definition "Gaslamp Fantasy". Think of the genre of Wild Wild West, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and even Penny Dreadful falls into that.

Girl Genius web comic is another in that vein http://girlgeniusonline.com/

No official category but dressing a bit different is nice.

While I seriously doubt that some fantasy steampunk weapons would be allowed, it does not take much to put a broomhandle mauser or even a P08 luger into that if the match director would allow you to shoot it.

I should also say, that younger folks who have no interest in guns in general and certainly not six guns get a bit of gleam in the eye when I pull the broomhandle (HEY looks like Solos blaster) or the Luger (didn't doc use that on Z Nation?).

I have mixed emotions about the whole Steampunk genre. I guess I am of an age where I am right in the middle of the classic Westerns and the Wild, Wild, West. I like them both, but for different reasons.

Cowboy is just that, Cowboy. Nothing, in my mind, exemplifies the Old West Cowboy like the Classic Cowboy category. Chaps, spurs, bandannas, pocket watches, roping cuffs, etc. Brings the old west to life again. I probably have everything I need to shoot CC, but I like shooting FCGF too much to switch. However, if my stupid left hand ever goes completely brain dead, I have no doubt I will be shooting CC, but with BP of course!

Steampunk on the other hand, is the embodiment of the Wild, Wild, West, Jules Verne, and the like. Strange contraptions, Victorian era science fiction, instant cool factor, great costumes, and lots of gizmos. Certainly has more attraction to the younger crowd, which seems to be getting bigger and bigger all the time!

Does the future of SASS include Steampunk? My Jules Verne time machine is presently on the fritz or I could tell you. The problem, if there is one, is that the Cowboy genre easily fits into the Steampunk genre, but the Steampunk genre doesn't fit quite so well into the Cowboy genre. I suspect that if enough SASS members embrace the costuming (without demanding an official category) it will ultimately become recognized in some fashion. It may in fact attract a whole new group of shooters, which is something needed at this point.

But at what point does it stop being Cowboy Action Shooting and become Costume Action Shooting? I just hope that as Steampunk becomes more prevalent, that it doesn't chase away too many of the died in the wool Cowboys. (Can I say Wool and Cowboys in the same sentence without getting banned?)

All that being said........

A-Girl-Wearing-A-Steampunk-Costume.jpg

:D

The opinions expressed here are those of the author. They in no way represent the views of SASS, it's management, or its members. The picture is provided only as an example of an acceptable Steampunk costume and should not be considered representative (or for that matter even likely) of typical SASS members or their costumes. Local customs will vary, as will your mileage. DD

:P

Well, Knuckles and Waimea pretty much covered it. Not a category at all, embraced by some, embarrasses others. Me, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Lots of people are "aging out" of SASS. I never went to "the movies" on Saturday afternoon to see the "Oaters" or "Serials".

I have STILL never sat through a Roy Rogers film.

My first exposure to a "Western" that I wanted to watch was "The Wild, Wild, West". All the great contraptions and action.

I've always loved Science Fiction, so Victorian Science Fiction works for me. I've been shooting CAS for 16 years now, and this keeps me feeling young. Also lots of younger shooters find Steampunk cool. If it pulls in more shooters, I'm for it (and yeah, I find it fun).

Justice Lilly Kate and the Judge said that they have dressed Steampunk as well. That was mentioned by Kate (Happy Birthday, Kate) in another thread about Steampunk.

This is a "Fantasy" sport, so as far as Steampunk goes,,, "It's all part, of my Cowboy Shooting Fantasy, It's all part, of my Cowboy Shooting Dream....., Yeah"

+1000

I grew up watching Star trek, The Wild, Wild West and John Wayne movies - my Mom used to drop my buddies and I off at the Orpheum Theater in Tulsa to watch True Grit and the like and we had a ball. I had a Daisy "Winchester" BB gun and we used to have BB gun wars (whoda thunk I'd someday be a Range Safety Officer!) down on the sandbars of the Arkansas River and in the woods around there and we all took turns being a John Wayne character or Lucky Ned Pepper or something.

If we want to attract younger shooters, we need to stay relevant. I did not grow up watching Roy Rodgers - it was just too hokey when John Wayne and Dean Martin and many others were making far better stuff. It's even less relevant to today's youth. I have no desire to do Steampunk myself, but I say, "Bring it on!"

I have mixed emotions about the whole Steampunk genre. I guess I am of an age where I am right in the middle of the classic Westerns and the Wild, Wild, West. I like them both, but for different reasons.

<SNIP>

:

:P

Nice shot of Lady Clankington!

I like Steampunk, it's brilliant, and I'll probably switch over to it more completely soon. I grew up in the 50's and 60's, and loved the westerns, but also like Sci-Fi. This allows combining them both in the spirit of pure fun! My daughter in law is a long distance shooter now, 1000 yd stuff, teamed up with my son.... But she loves costuming and Steampunk in particular, if she does come over to shoot CAS it will be steampunk style, and if it gets her in, then I'm even more for it!

My daughter has been eyeing costuming parts for a steampunk outfit. I'm all for her putting an outfit together as long as she can participate in bigger matches and their non-shooting activities while wearing the costume.

So, that was my reason for the original question. I come from a family of watchmakers. Intricate, precise, finely machined parts all working in concert.... yep. I love the steampunk look (but am not foolish enough to try it myself)

Think Wild Wild West as a jumping off point into steampunk. I've tried to put together an outfit and am having fun doing it. If my memory serves me correctly the late Coyote Calhoun was a great promoter of Steampunk and even had a Steampunk dress up day his last year at EOT.

That was the theme at Hellfire 2 years ago. Had really big participation for it and it was really neat to look at. (Of course Slick could probably do a Creature from the Black Lagoon theme and it would go over well also- :P:lol: ) .

My bride had a huge time ordering stuff and still wears it often.... which I like.... :wub::D

HD, I think if you're looking to see if the costume will be legal you will need to read the most recent copy of thr shooters handbook and see if the gear either meets the requirements for the category you plan on shooting and that non of it is outlawed if it meets the category requirements and isn't outlawed you would have no problem anywhere. If they are questionable items then ask palewolf brownell in a personal message with photos of detail images and as worn in case they're any questions fron the roc he can contact you for clarification. Once you get a ruling that your costume is legal for X category then print it out and carry with you just in case the dress police confront you.

Howdy,

Although I'm more of a traditionalist and prefer the pre-1900 cowboy, there may be some merit to Steampunk. If there is enough interest among existing SASS members and new SASS members are indeed recruited by Steampunk, then it could be a stand alone category with specifics as to costuming & firearms just like B-Western & Classic Cowboy. As a stand alone category allowances could be made for exterior firearm modifications that might otherwise not be in compliance with the Firearm Covenants. Keeping it separate will show the interest & growth of Steampunk.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

My daughter has been eyeing costuming parts for a steampunk outfit. I'm all for her putting an outfit together as long as she can participate in bigger matches and their non-shooting activities while wearing the costume.

So, that was my reason for the original question. I come from a family of watchmakers. Intricate, precise, finely machined parts all working in concert.... yep. I love the steampunk look (but am not foolish enough to try it myself)

You should try it. Would be a great father daughter adventure.

I glanced at the SHB and I can't really see anything that would prevent her from dressing Steampunk unless she wanted to shoot B-Western or Classic Cowgirl. All of the other categories do not have any special requirements except for things like no baseball caps and grip enhancing soles which are easy to avoid while still dressing Steampunk. Lots that can be done to her guncart as well.

I think it is an awesome addition to the world of CAS. In a time where there seams to be a more minimalist trend in costuming Its cool to see something that excites people. I have always believed that dressing up was a big part of our game and I welcome a resurgence in anything that promotes that.

Thanks,

Chili

I have seen many threads talking about how to bring new shooters, and primarily younger shooters into our sport. Steampunk appeals to millenial's and they identify with it. With the demise of the popular western TV shows unfortunately they do not identify with the Cowboy as much. I am not pushing for another category, but if dressing Steampunk gets someone excited about costuming, I am all for it.

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

SHB p.3

"The Wild Wild West" was a Western TELEVISION SERIES (and, later, a movie based on the TV show)

Any characters or outfits from that series (or the movie) would should be acceptable for SASS competition.

Went to the Wild Wild West Steampunk Convention at Old Tucson in Arizona the last two years with my niece and her husband.

Just wore my cowboy clothes and added a pair of brass and leather goggles.

Most of the people were in Victorian / Turn of the century clothing. Space Cadets aside. Everyone I saw would be welcome at Winter Range or End of Trail.

Google says: "Although its literary origins are sometimes associated with the cyberpunk genre, steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a post-apocalypticfuture during which steam power has maintained mainstream usage, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power.” SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors. Therefore, not a category but a FUN costume worn by members with pride showing in a SASS category. I would rather see that than modern non 19th century cowboy dress seen at many local matches(not meaning newbie’s starting out)

Archived