SASS Wire Forum

Steampunk and SASS

Hurricane Deck 100366

I know next to nothing about steam punk. I think I somehow fell right between its time frames. To be honest, the stuff I see and read from Rolan's post are the majority of my knowledge. That being said, if I ever saw someone shooting steam punk I wouldn't hesitate to ask him or her all about it, get into details about guns and gear, character, etc. as for a category, why not? If there's enough interest it will bloom, if not then the shooter would just have to shoot a different category. If it were a category, what would be some of the five items? I imagine some kind of pressure dials, goggles, trench coat, what else? This could be fun

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I joined SASS for quality time with the son and to play cowboy.

Adding steam punk would just be another reason to drop my membership.

I joined SASS for quality time with the son and to play cowboy.

Adding steam punk would just be another reason to drop my membership.

What would keep you from playing cowboy if SteamPunk were added? It has been added in a lot of places by the way.

As is exists right now, Steampunk is basically just an unofficial costume category. One could argue that it is a "sub-category" of B Western, but that'd be a stretch.

I don't think there is any need to create a new category. If folks wanna costume this way, more power to them. It's interesting.

Could there be a Steampunk sidematch? There are possibilities there too, similar to Wild Bunch. While Wild Bunch is about, sorta, stuff that existed at the end of the "old west era," steampunk is about things that did, or could have, taken to an unusual "extreme." Lots of room to play with in that arena while sorta making it a "high tech old west" thingee.

What would keep you from playing cowboy if SteamPunk were added? It has been added in a lot of places by the way.

Now many people at a match? 2%, 25%...?

Now many people at a match? 2%, 25%...?

I see a few Steampunk themed outfits at a couple of matches that I frequent and they don't detract from the cowboy theme.

I see a few Steampunk themed outfits at a couple of matches that I frequent and they don't detract from the cowboy theme.

Not suggesting they detract. just wondering how many people are getting into this costume

Not suggesting they detract. just wondering how many people are getting into this costume

Not a lot, but a few seem to be dressing that way. One young lady that shot with us wore Steampunk before a lot of us knew what it was and she fit right in, unfortunately she grew up and lost interest.

I wear a hat occasionally that is Stempunkish and get quite a few comments and questions.

I'm guessing that when the SASS founders came up with... Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee" they had no idea that years later members would be clamoring to add a steampunk dress code just to attract some new shooters!

If you are going to gradually let in every science fiction group just to attract new members, why not just change the name from COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING to FANTASY SHOOTING, COME ONE, COME ALL and be done with it!

Saying that steampunk belongs in the Cowboy or Western genre is akin to writing a documentary about the history of aviation and manned flight then throwing in a chapter on Star Trek space ships!

No more horses to ride.

No more buck boards to ride.

No more lassoing or knife throwing.

No more ... Son shooting with me.

Too many too close and too big targets.

Cell phones playing musical tunes.

Former Club politics.

The cowboy Atmosphere just ain't what it was when I started 17 years ago. IMHO

Matthew you just said a mouth full. You listed why I only shoot one or two matches a year now.

Well, you gotta keep yourself "fresh" to keep it interesting. That's why I'm trying to master an 1887, and trying out this crazy Steampunk dress (Note, just dress, not a category).

Steampunk Gauntlets

Before

DSCN4416.jpg

After

DSCN4418.jpg

DSCN4421.jpg

DSCN4422.jpg

As Long as people are enjoying shooting and being in a good atmosphere then does it matter how they dress? Just being able to shoot effectively and quickly would effect how people dress anyway.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I am way to Old and have a hard time wanting to see any steampunk at a CAS.

Color me gone. Hoss

As Long as people are enjoying shooting and being in a good atmosphere then does it matter how they dress? Just being able to shoot effectively and quickly would effect how people dress anyway.

I don't think I'd take it that far. Does it matter? yes, it certainly matters. this is a costumed sport depicting a very specific era.

Modern clothes? nope

Space suit? nope

Roman gladiators? cool... but nope.

There has to be a boundary, a definition, of some sort.

I guess if we try hard enough we can find any number of things that aren't quite correct at our matches. We had a lot of spectators yesterday that weren't dressed cowboy. Some shooters wore sunglasses. One shooter with bad feet wore orthotic shoes. A couple of folks had those new fangled baby carriage gun carts. A couple of pards that passed on weren't there. Some folks had straw hats on. A few shooters had blue jeans on. I had so much fun I'm not going to let it keep me from shooting there next month

I don't think I'd take it that far. Does it matter? yes, it certainly matters. this is a costumed sport depicting a very specific era.

Modern clothes? nope

Space suit? nope

Bobby? Do you like movies about Gladiators?!?

I'm thinking if the little gal from post#12 shows up at a match I'm at I want to be her brass rat.

I'm guessing that when the SASS founders came up with... Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee" they had no idea that years later members would be clamoring to add a steampunk dress code just to attract some new shooters!

If you are going to gradually let in every science fiction group just to attract new members, why not just change the name from COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING to FANTASY SHOOTING, COME ONE, COME ALL and be done with it!

Saying that steampunk belongs in the Cowboy or Western genre is akin to writing a documentary about the history of aviation and manned flight then throwing in a chapter on Star Trek space ships!

Modern clothes? nope

Space suit? nope

REF: post #31

Bobby? Do you like movies about Gladiators?!?

Ever been in a Turkish prison?

I was thinking more "this is SPARTA!" and less "This is the cockpit!"

LOL

The cockpit? What is it?

:P

I have a feeling that if my oldest actually gets the chance to start shooting, she may lean toward steampunk outfits. I can't say that as fact, but that would be my guess. Personally, if people want to add steampunk aspects to their dress, that is fine by me.

I'm thinking if the little gal from post#12 shows up at a match I'm at I want to be her brass rat.

I want her as my brass rat.

Either - Or, and I'm good.

REF: post #31

I don't need to go back and re read post #31, I think my comment is appropriate..... I Simply said to do away with "COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING" and replace it with "FAMILY FANTASY SHOOTING". Isn't that were SASS is heading?

You could advertise it to appeal to absolutely everyone.... "COME ONE, COME ALL, we have something for everyone! Bring whatever gun you have, we'll make a category for you to shoot in. Our new steampunk category is quite the rage and you can bring your AR-15 with you as long as it has fake gas valves and pressure gauges plastered all over it. Don't like guns, no problem we have a nice sling shot division!

Where will it all end?

No more horses to ride.

No more buck boards to ride.

No more lassoing or knife throwing.

No more ... Son shooting with me.

Too many too close and too big targets.

Cell phones playing musical tunes.

Former Club politics.

The cowboy Atmosphere just ain't what it was when I started 17 years ago. IMHO

Matthew you just said a mouth full. You listed why I only shoot one or two matches a year now.

There's always NCOWS. I hear they're going pretty strong.... :ph34r:

I respect the fact that everyone has different likes and dislikes- some to the extremes on both ends of the wagon. Having said that, the game has changed. When you look at the biggest and most successful matches, I think its a safe bet to say that folks who shoot at those are okay with not going back to when you needed a spotting scope for your pistols and rifle.

These are NOW the "good 'ol days" of our future. I'm going to embrace and soak up every match I can get my hands on. ^_^

Like Johnny Morris said, when the ladies get excited about buying new outfits from vendors and excited about going to an out of state match 4 months in advance- I'm all for it. ;)

I don't need to go back and re read post #31, I think my comment is appropriate..... I Simply said to do away with "COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING" and replace it with "FAMILY FANTASY SHOOTING". Isn't that were SASS is heading?

You could advertise it to appeal to absolutely everyone.... "COME ONE, COME ALL, we have something for everyone! Bring whatever gun you have, we'll make a category for you to shoot in. Our new steampunk category is quite the rage and you can bring your AR-15 with you as long as it has fake gas valves and pressure gauges plastered all over it. Don't like guns, no problem we have a nice sling shot division!

Where will it all end?

:lol: :lol: :lol: ................. :D ........... :) ......... :mellow: ..... :blink: .................Ooh- we need to watch out for that!

Seriously?.... <_<

Once B-Western became a category all the "authentic" disappeared, and in truth was never there. As far as I am concerned, as long as the steampunk costumes only incorporate things from the 1850-1899 era, I'm OK with it. Even if carried to extremes, which is really what steampunk is, anyway. So, no AR's, no space suits, no gladiators. My wife has a few Steampunk dresses that fit right in. Me, I shoot FCD or Classic Cowboy, with real blackpowder. All my ammo is in paper ammo boxes. My cart is made from an OLD handcart, to which I added iron wheels from an 1880's seeder. And yet I would have no problem shooting with someone in a Steampunk outfit. Life is too short to be a costume nazi.

Where will it all end?

You obviously missed the point of posting a quote directly from the SASS "Shooters Handbook" that is directly related to allowing costuming and characters from a STEAMPUNK-themed television show and movie set in the time period immediately following the American Civil War.

I don't see anyone in this discussion referring to any change in the regulations to allow AR-15s...except you.

<_<

I guess if we try hard enough we can find any number of things that aren't quite correct at our matches. We had a lot of spectators yesterday that weren't dressed cowboy. Some shooters wore sunglasses. One shooter with bad feet wore orthotic shoes. A couple of folks had those new fangled baby carriage gun carts. A couple of pards that passed on weren't there. Some folks had straw hats on. A few shooters had blue jeans on. I had so much fun I'm not going to let it keep me from shooting there next month

:) Cowboy!

Where will it all end?

:unsure: Where it always does, with a long dirt nap.

It's a game for crying out loud. If a pard comes in dressed Steampunk at your club are you going to leave in a huff, or tell him to leave?

Rolan is a colorful addition to any match. My only regret is his club has their matches the same day mine does so we never see him at Docs. Take a break from MDing and bring that Steampunk stuff down to Doc's Rolan. Maybe for our annual in April?

I actually think Steampunk is kind of cool. Is it for me? Not at the moment, but who knows what the future might bring? Not me, my crystal ball's in the shop.

Do I care if somebody shows up for a match in steampunk type duds? Nope.

Nobody's advocating for a new category, after all. They's just talkin' about dressin' funny to shoot for a day or two, and what's the harm in that? :D

Archived