SASS Wire Forum

Frying Pans

guitar_slinger

Hey Pards,

Want to get my loving wife some new frying pans for Christmas. We already have plenty of cast iron. She wants some non-stick pans.

Question is what are "the best" kind to get?

Thanks,

GS

I urge caution in this decision.....even when she says something like, "Oh, just get me some new frying pans", what she REALLY means is, "Gold" or "Diamonds" or "An evening on the town".

Err on the side of supreme generosity.

LL

Nope, this time she really wants frying pans. She likes to cook and likes gadgets. Getting her a new MacBook for Christmas too since her laptop is on its last legs.

I did think about getting her a new flintlock rifle or perhaps a 1866 chambered in 44-40 but upon further reflection, the cookware and laptop seem to be a much wiser choice.

GS

GS

Since I can't boil water without burning, I'm eminately qualified to opine.

Avoid the green/ eco/ ceramic pans. The lining doen't hold up. I've heard cooks recommending getting a good set of frying pans, but don't go nuts on the top of the line Caliphon, etc. The lining wears far faster than the pans, and you end up replacing them anyway. Costco's frying pans get good marks for value and performance.

Excuse me, I've got to go put out the microwave.

>perhaps a 18g chambered in 44-40<

Huh?? 18g???? I can't even figger out what that would be as a typo.

Oops, should have been1866. Not sure what form or autocorrect changed it to 18g???

GS

Copper Queen is a very experienced and outstanding cook and judge at cooking contests. I bought her a set of Al-Clad pans a few years ago and she LOVES them. Williams -Sonoma and some other houses carry them. Although they aren't "non-stick" they clean up easily. They are much better than the other highly advertised brands like Calphalon. (sorry about the spelling)

My wife is picky about pots and pans. She likes them to have a good thick bottom so they will heat evenly and not wear our or warp. Right now she likes the ones Ikea carries. I think they are cuisinart brand. Currently we have teflon coated, but she wants to try ceramic because the teflon does start to wear off if you have rank amatuers using the pans (like my daughter). Supposedly teflon flakes in your food aren't too healthy.

You want something that spreads the heat evenly. Thick bottomed pans rather than the lightweight stuff. DO get at least one non-stick pan for the versatility. Get one good sized one that has a clear lid.

edit: Good point Gambler. Stay away from Teflon.

I put a lot of stock in Cook's Country's [Cooks Illustrated] recommendations... :)

I've seen that T-fal pan commonly used on other cooking shows; I was quite surprised to discover how reasonably priced it is.

FWIW, the All-Clad is dandy, although generally NOT non-stick. And quite pricey! A bunch of years ago I bought a set of "Emerilware," which is Emeril Lagassi signature All-Clad. On sale at the time for about a third the cost of regular All-Clad, it's been GREAT! :lol:

But I still use my old cast iron just as much as the E-ware... ;)

Calphalon

Calphalon

I have used these for 15 years, they are great heavy high quality pans. Yes the bottoms are scared and scratched but they are so well seasoned not much sticks and what does stick cleans up very easily. Buy the best and buy it once

Lots of good cookware out there. The most important thing to look for is a nice thick bottom. Even the expensive popular brands have a less expensive line and the thickness of the bottom is usually the first feature to go.

If you cannot easily tell the difference between the thickness of the sides and the bottom using just your fingers then the bottom isn't thick enough.

Teflon coatings have a limited life. Even if you treat them well they eventually fail. Hard anodized aluminium will last a lot longer than teflon if you don't abuse it. Some people like stainless steel but the wife could never get hers not to stick.

As stated above stay away from the stone, ceramic and so called eco friendly coatings. They will not make her happy.

Wife has some teflon lined Calphalon skillets she likes with the extra thick bottoms. Trouble is the models she likes were recently discontinued. I bought here a couple of spares of each that I lucked into for when the current ones wear out.

She also has a complete set I bought her at the Navy Exchange made by Circulon. They are hard anodized and have lasted 20 years.

Also double check the manufacturers instructions for cleaning. Makes a big difference when you seek a warranty replacement.

We "inherited" a set of Farberware Classic (looks like it anyway). At first I stuck to my black iron skillets but used the sauce pans and stock pots. Then I saw how easily things cleaned up. Now for most things it's the first one I reach for.

As to thick vs. thin. My second favorite skillet is a cheap sheet metal (mild steel) 9" skillet I got at a restaurant supply place that's open to the public. Maybe 16 ga or 18 ga. Long handle, I've used it enough that it's pretty well seasoned. Set it on the stove, set it on coals by the camp fire, put it in the hottest part of the fire, doesn't matter. I like it for making scrambled eggs and frittatas (frittati?) - the egg comes out very easily. Not like non-stick where it slides all over the place, but it doesn't take scrubbing to get it out. I think it was about 20 bucks.

I have some KN ceramic marble coated skillets that I got from Amazon, They work well, don't stick and are inexpensive. Haven't seen any that I like better including the expensive stuff.

Blackfoot

I have used these for 15 years, they are great heavy high quality pans. Yes the bottoms are scared and scratched but they are so well seasoned not much sticks and what does stick cleans up very easily. Buy the best and buy it once

They are guaranteed for life. Miss Jeanie loves hers and has had one replaced a couple of times when the bottom got scratched.

Howdy,

My niece went way out of her way to get grannys iron pans.

She had a degree in restaurant management and could afford any pan she wanted.

Those modern miracle pans are going to be sitting in six months.

How about a gift card to the Pampered Chef?

They have some useful cookin stuff.

Best

CR

Howdy,

Best

CR

You never know. My wife grew up cooking with cast iron. Now a days, depending on what she is cooking she will get either cast iron, teflon or hard anodized. The only thing I am certain of is that if we go camping she only takes her cast iron.

And I have bought my wife "doghouse gifts" for special occasions when she asks for them. The Circulon cook set was to for her birthday one year, One Christmas it was a new light weight vacuum cleaner because her Kirby was getting too heavy.

Last one was a sewing machine for leather. But every time I have bought these it is because I know that is what she wants and I make sure to buy the very best available.

Howdy,

Best

CR

I love my cast iron but Miss Lorrie has a ceramic top stove and the waro=p in the cast iron make for poor cooking.

Hi G_S!

A few years ago, I bought a full set of non-stick Circulon at Costco. It is wonderful. I use all of them, except one large pot. One thing I really like is the glass lids; every pot and skillet has one. Some sets do not provide lids with skillets.

I think this may be it.

f1a7bd53c9934f641a609f0ec603203d.jpg

We "inherited" a set of Farberware Classic (looks like it anyway). At first I stuck to my black iron skillets but used the sauce pans and stock pots. Then I saw how easily things cleaned up. Now for most things it's the first one I reach for.

As to thick vs. thin. My second favorite skillet is a cheap sheet metal (mild steel) 9" skillet I got at a restaurant supply place that's open to the public. Maybe 16 ga or 18 ga. Long handle, I've used it enough that it's pretty well seasoned. Set it on the stove, set it on coals by the camp fire, put it in the hottest part of the fire, doesn't matter. I like it for making scrambled eggs and frittatas (frittati?) - the egg comes out very easily. Not like non-stick where it slides all over the place, but it doesn't take scrubbing to get it out. I think it was about 20 bucks.

That is the set I got 40+ years ago. I had to replace some as the handles' screw thread had stripped. I still use some of them; but now prefer the Circulon for most things.

I forgot to mention that the Queen's All-Clad is the COPPER CORE ones. She has been using them for years and has had cookware from all of the other brands mentioned and says they are no comparison. The other stuff has been moved to the guest house. The All-Clad Copper Core pans and skillets are by far the best. She still uses cast iron for some preparations though. (Le Cruet stock pots and old USA made skillets) She won't recommend anything other than those two. Cookware is a tool just like drills and wrenches. If you want good results you need good tools.

Hard to beat Reverewear. We still daily use the ones that we received when married in 1995. They are available at Belks and similar quality department stores.

Have a full set of copper bottom from 1978 when they were all USA made.

Today-They are ALL made in China. :angry:

When you think who the founder was-It's sad :(

OLG

I happened to watch American Test Kitchen this afternoon.

Their equipment segment was on non stick frying pans.

Here's the results

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/equipment_reviews/1259-nonstick-skillets?ref=EquipmentReview_browse_15

===================

Included in the test was their trusty cast iron skillet.

After all the testing was done on the non stick pans the cast iron still won the test.

here's the results on cast iron skillets.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1603-cast-iron-skillets?extcode=MASCZ00L0&ref=search_results_3

Thanks folks,

I got a couple T-Fal pans (the ones with the red heat indicator dot in the bottom). Seem pretty heavy for what they are and had good reviews.

If she doesn't like them, I'm not out a fortune and I'm sure she'll really like the MacBook Pro I also picked up for her!!

GS

Archived