SASS Wire Forum

Where did you get that Alias?

Jim No Horse

It's been awhile for these stories! How did you get yours? Jim

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been awhile for these stories! How did you get yours? Jim

Mine came from Louis L'Amour's Tyrel Sackett. That was taken so put my favorite western name in place of Sackett.

Yours?

Had some pals moved my horse behind the bar in Wyoming where we were doing some serious drinking. Told me my horse was gone from the rail out front so I called the local Police.... I mean horse theft in Wyoming....one of my pals met the cop outside the bar and the fix was in. Big ole burly Sheriff comes to my table and says in a booming voice...boys looks like ole Jim here done lost his pony. I got teased for years with the No Horse moniker. I hated the name....then when I needed an alias ....well it seemed fitting and it had been over 30 years...LOL...Jim....this is the sanitized version of the story....Yeehaw

I started out as Mississippi Kid, (cuz my family is deep rooted in Mississippi)

BUT, because I scratch my feet before I shoot everyone called me Chicken Scratch, so ……

Chicken Scratch

According to legend the Texas Rangers got there badges made from Cinco Peso Mexican Silver Coins and apperently that tradition continues today.

Thought it was neet.

I was sating in the floor playing with my pit bull, picture to the left,I had put down a lot of name and could not find one I liked.I am from Texas and I love my pit bull.

The Callaway part of my alias is reference to Caption James Callaway - grandson of Daniel Boone. He was killed in an ambush by "Native Americans" near where we live. The county we live in is named Callaway in his honor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Callaway

The Warden part... let's just say it is easy for me to remember.

I thought about Miley Callaway from the Tommy Lee Jones character in the movie "The good ol'boys".

From a lawyer in old Carson City, Nevada named Trenmore Coffin.

Fillmore

Just came back from the Big Island and discovered CAS.

Was so impressed with the town of Waimea I took it as my alias.

It means Red Water in Hawaiian.

Could be from the sunsets.

Could be from blood in the water.

Nobody really knows.

Before King Kamehameha united the Island the Hawaiians were a very warring people.

And Waimea happens to be surrounded by the largest privately owned ranch in the United States: the Parker Ranch.

They employ hundreds of cowboys. :)

Waimea

:FlagAm:

My Great Grandfathers name is still someone else's AKA, so I just thought I used to be a lot of things, so I became the Yoos ta be Kid.

My Grandpa Roy, (born in the late 1800's) named my Dad. "Rance" out of old Cowboy Comic Book...

Rance (born in 1922) named his first son (I was the 4th son :blink: of 8 kids) William Rance..

Of course we all called him Billy... :)

I thought seriously of tryin' fer Billy Rance... :mellow: sure sounds Cowboy enough..

It would have been after my Dad and oldest brother..

But I went and waited fer Rance... :D

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I had to wait about 10 years to go from

Cowboy Rance to just "Rance" :)

I was reading the book Arizona Rangers by Bill Oneal and the name Rye Miles just jumped out for some reason. I always loved Arizona, been there twice for vacation, and I wanted a historical name. :)

Sgt. J.T. "Rye" Miles

Arizona Ranger

I was badly injured, while I was in the hospital, a friend visited me and said "looks like you got dealt a bad hand", and since it left me with a "bad hand", just seemed right.

My first alias was Hoss Hungright but Mrs. Lose hated it so about 3 months later I was watching a TV show and there was a license plate on a car that said Yul Luz so I changed it to Yul Lose and did the alias lookup and it was available and I've had it for about 8 years.

Started off as Rockhill Wrangler. That is what we call our place. Rockhill. Because. Well. We have

a rock hill on one corner of it. And we still had several mares and was standing a stud. So

was wrangling a lot of horses. (Did not like the name. But could not think of anything else.)

Real name is Allen. So Al for short. Pulled into one of my customers barns and got started

shoeing there horses. (was a professional Farrier for around 20 years)

They came out and said. Hey Al. Did not know you was here. But heard you pounding on that

anvil. Then it hit me. Anvil Al. So changed it after the first few months of joining.

When trying to improve on the way I enjoy my favorite cerveza, my son-in-law suggested I rub and squeeze a lime wedge on the top of the can and then sprinkle it with salt. Nothing really new, but when I treated some of my hunting buddies with the improvement their comment was that is was so good you can "slam" it down. Thus I became Tecate Slam.

Just recently joined SASS. Started trying to decide what to come up with. I am a big fan of Louis Lamour westerns. Started thinking back on all the westerns of his that I have read in the last 40 years. All of the names that I could think of had been taken. That just caused me to start trying to think of one of his characters that was not taken. Finally came up with Milo Talon... I found out later that the name had been used in the past... More happy with Milo than some of the names my wife came up with for me...

Lazarus is a Heinlein fan so he became Lazarus Longshot. Lazarus Long's sister was Lorelei so I became Lorelei Longshot. Now we have several Longshot relatives.

One of my favorite places in MT growing up as a kid; Lost Trail Pass. Only about 45 minutes away from home. Where I learned to ski at age 5.

Someone had to.

Archived