SASS Wire Forum

What is your favorite song?

Hi folks,

I'm feeling the need for fun and smiles. So, how about this? What is your favorite song?

Mine is Love is Strange. I first remember it from Dirty Dancing, my favorite movie. I hear it more frequently now as I listen to Serius 50s on 5 in the car.

What is your favorite song and what memories do you have associated with it or where do you remember first hearing it?

Regards,

Allie Mo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's impossible for me to choose a favorite song! I have about a hundred of them at least! ;)

Janice Joplin - Bobby McGee, I just love the line "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose"

Of course the tear jerker by Harry Chapin - Cats in the cradle.

Don't forget Jim Croce You don't mess around with Jim.

And Gordon Lightfoot - Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

I can never get out of the car when one of the above is playing 😀

PS I think part of the reason I like LIS is because it was in DD and I have dreams of learning to dance. Not like Dancing with the Stars; but just being able to follow someone without putting them on the floor or breaking one of their toes. I'd wink; but, that is a serious comment.

It's impossible for me to choose a favorite song! I have about a hundred of them at least! ;)

Same here. My favorite song varies from day to day, but I'd have to say Bohemian Rhapsody is #1 more days than any other.

This month this one,

https://youtu.be/XUH8VszQun8

Hard for me to pick out one song, easier by artist.

Bluegrass: Gillian Welch

Wow... Favorite song. Like others, that is a nearly impossible question for me to answer. Several immediately rise to the top of the list, though. I think I can limit it to five, though.

I have two favorite rock bands, Led Zeppelin and Rush.

My favorite song by Led Zeppelin is Since I've Been Loving You. The most powerful electric blues tune I can think of, I couldn't listen to it for years after parting from the "First Great Love" of my life. Not until I truly became serious with Mrs. Doc could I listen to it to enjoy it. The lyrics do a very, very good job of explaining why.

The youtube link is for the studio version, a couple of the live versions out there are even more powerful.

My favorite from Rush is actually harder, but I would end up choosing Red Barchetta. Mrs. Doc drove the red RX-7 that I've mentioned (her parents gave it to me as a graduation gift from college-with her approval). We drove it through a snow storm to San Antonio with as much as we could pack in it during Desert Storm, through a blizzard, I might add. Since owning the car, the song has always reminded me of it.

When I was getting showered and cleaned up for my first actual date with Mrs. Doc, I was humming a song that I liked, just going through my head. As we were sitting in her dorm room before going out, what did she put on? That same song. It has been a favorite ever since, and served to cause me to miss Mrs. Doc and get me through times without her at the same time. Moondance, by Van Morrison

Mrs. Doc and I did our first dance as a married couple to Someone to Watch Over Me. I've always been partial to Linda Ronstadt's version.

Finally, the song Mrs. Doc and I would both sing to our daughters when they were babies. I don't listen to it much anymore, but it still evokes very powerful emotions. I can only say that if either of them chooses it as a father/daughter dance, I will be crying my eyes out. Kenny Loggins' House at Pooh Corner.

Country Road, John Denver. My senior prom date and I were in the backseat of my 1958 Chevy Biscayne and.............................................................. Nothing happened and I kinda blame John Denver for it because she wanted me to take her home and she lived down a country road.

Me too.

Wow... Favorite song. Like others, that is a nearly impossible question for me to answer. Several immediately rise to the top of the list, though. I think I can limit it to five, though.

I have two favorite rock bands, Led Zeppelin and Rush.

My favorite song by Led Zeppelin is Since I've Been Loving You. The most powerful electric blues tune I can think of, I couldn't listen to it for years after parting from the "First Great Love" of my life. Not until I truly became serious with Mrs. Doc could I listen to it to enjoy it. The lyrics do a very, very good job of explaining why.

The youtube link is for the studio version, a couple of the live versions out there are even more powerful.

My favorite from Rush is actually harder, but I would end up choosing Red Barchetta. Mrs. Doc drove the red RX-7 that I've mentioned (her parents gave it to me as a graduation gift from college-with her approval). We drove it through a snow storm to San Antonio with as much as we could pack in it during Desert Storm, through a blizzard, I might add. Since owning the car, the song has always reminded me of it.

When I was getting showered and cleaned up for my first actual date with Mrs. Doc, I was humming a song that I liked, just going through my head. As we were sitting in her dorm room before going out, what did she put on? That same song. It has been a favorite ever since, and served to cause me to miss Mrs. Doc and get me through times without her at the same time. Moondance, by Van Morrison

Mrs. Doc and I did our first dance as a married couple to Someone to Watch Over Me. I've always been partial to Linda Ronstadt's version.

Finally, the song Mrs. Doc and I would both sing to our daughters when they were babies. I don't listen to it much anymore, but it still evokes very powerful emotions. I can only say that if either of them chooses it as a father/daughter dance, I will be crying my eyes out. Kenny Loggins' House at Pooh Corner.

Great choices, Doc. Our first dance song was a little more "old school" Jimmy Durante, "Make Someone Happy"

Slow, romantic; Longer by Dan Fogelberg:

Upbeat; Gone Gone Gone by the Ventures:

Classical; Overture to The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart. I used this one in a SASS video recently:

In my youth, I preformed in a 5 man group as backup singer and sound man.

This was the opening song we preformed every week.

Unchained Melody by the Righteous Bros. AND..... BRANDY by Looking Glass.

..........Widder

+1 for Brandy by Looking Glass.

My memories are from my time in the Navy. It was our breakaway song on board the USS Raleigh. That is when two ships are refueling at sea and when they're done the lines are dropped and they split apart (breakaway). Over the load speakers each ship would play it's song.

I have a lot. Off the top of my head in no particular order are.

City of New Orleans - Willie Nelson

When You Say Nothing at All - Alison Krauss

My Favorite Things - Lorrie Morgan

Country Roads - John Denver

I'm Just a Country Boy - Don Williams

Watermellon Wine - Tom T Hall

Journey to the Spirit World - Buddy Red Bow

Run Indian Run - Buddy Red Bow

"Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac

"God Bless the Child" the Blood Sweat and Tears version

"Magnolia" by J.J. Cale

"Come And Go Blues" by the Allman Brothers

"The Long and Winding Road" by the Beatles

"Turn The Page" by Bob Seger

"Back to the Island" by Leon Russell

"Masquerade" also by Leon Russell

"Please Call Home" by the Allman Brothers

"I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home" by Grand Funk Railroad

That's my top ten for now...........................

Chili Pepper Kid,

small world. I was also in the Navy (69-73) during that time.

A couple other favorites:

A Pirate Looks At 40

Against The WInd

Heard It In A Love Song

Country Roads

You've Got A Friend

I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song

AND.......... a favorite in the Radio Shack on board the USS Simon Lake: "Have You Seen Her" by the Chi-Lites.

..........Widder

Mine would have to be "Amazing Grace."

The best rendition of "Amazing Grace" has to be for me the one performed by Il Divo in an old Roman coliseum. Right after the bagpipers verse, the Il Divo baritone really 'brings it home!'

Whiskey Lullaby ..... Allison Krause and Brad Paisley. Beautifully sad love song! :(

Kawliga... Hank Williams JR

Amarillo By Morning.... George Strait

The Cowboy Rides Away... George Strait

Pretty Woman.... Roy Orbison

Friends in Low Places.... Garth Brooks

Long Haired Country Boy... Charlie Daniels Band

Wichita Lineman... Glen Campbell

Seminole Wind.... John Anderson

Country Boy Can Survive.... Hank Williams Jr

Archived