SASS Wire Forum

No more printed copies of the Cowboy Chronicle

Wasatch Lawman

It's obvious I'm in the minority here, but I would rather they just stop killing trees and give way to the future. At 55 I'm no spring chicken, but I've had a computer for thirty years now and I have no nostalgia for newsprint. I've been taking mine to work, even though I don't bother to read it, hoping that someone will be inspired enough by it to join, but so far, no one has. I spend my idle time reading The Wire and if the Chronicle was online, I'd probably read it too.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not real computer savvy but doesn't the electronic version require a HUGE download? On second thought maybe I will pony up the $35.00 a year. I don't think I'll read every page electronically like I do with the paper version. :( Rye

Call me 'old school' (my kid's do!) but I like to read a newspaper. And a good magazine before turning the lights out in bed. But I do understand the cost of printing, mailing, etc. vs the electronic version. But........... parbly won't read it much now. We dropped our newspaper because it got too expensive. I just hope my neighbor keeps his paper cause I use them for cleaning fish! Had the pleasure Saturday night of filleting an 11" crappie on Hillary's face. Turned it into a scratch an sniff. LOL

...just hope my neighbor keeps his paper cause I use them for cleaning fish! Had the pleasure Saturday night of filleting an 11" crappie on Hillary's face. Turned it into a scratch an sniff. LOL

LMAO!

Personally I never saw the Chronicle as a marketing tool for new shooters, even one thread asks if CC hurts prospective new shooters by reading I always kinda felt that way.Basically I would flip thru CC pretty fast look at results of away matches and some articles that perked my interest and in the recycle bin it went. :mellow: Now that they stopped printing and mailing made they should drop membership dues to say $25 or $30 not much but a token.of money saved.

For those without a computer well I guess their stuck but if you have a computer and want it in print form print the articles you want to read.

Regards AO

Call me 'old school' (my kid's do!) but I like to read a newspaper. And a good magazine before turning the lights out in bed. But I do understand the cost of printing, mailing, etc. vs the electronic version. But........... parbly won't read it much now. We dropped our newspaper because it got too expensive. I just hope my neighbor keeps his paper cause I use them for cleaning fish! Had the pleasure Saturday night of filleting an 11" crappie on Hillary's face. Turned it into a scratch an sniff. LOL

Now that is just downright funny, Slim!!!

best regards.,

hOOt

I did not get an email this month allowing a PDF version to be downloaded. I see the on line version via the member only SASS site but really like the PDF version. Anyone know how to find the PDF version without the monthly email?

I am probably one that would pony up the extra for the print version if they offer it. I blow so much on shooting each year, that $35 is not something worth getting mad over. I know my paper version has got some people I know talking about the sport with me, and they are thinking of joining, and I don't want to lose that. I don't think I would have the same impact if I slipped an iPad undeer their nose. It generates some questions when they see me reading a big paper in the lunchroom

Really hate to see this. Is S.A.S.S. on the way out? Vendors not making it in this economy.

Let me get this straight now. We can't ware Wranglers because they are not "Period Correct". Hell, about the only thing that was still "Period Correct" in SASS was the PRINTED Chronicle.

Let me get this straight now. We can't ware Wranglers because they are not "Period Correct". Hell, about the only thing that was still "Period Correct" in SASS was the PRINTED Chronicle.

Now that is an excellent point!!! Are ya reading' this WB????

I'll miss it but understand it is the wave of the future. The only big issue is I'm afraid I might drop the IPad in the toilet.

Larsen.. if'n yer sittin' down you shouldn't have to worry.. as for when yer standin' .. well put the IPad down. Just make sure you wash yer hands before you pick it up :lol: :lol: :lol:

~Blue Hare

I spend my idle time reading The Wire and if the Chronicle was online, I'd probably read it too.

It is online JHQ.... Use this link!

I don't even think you have to log in as a member thataway. I just typed the link into my Android powered phone and it opened right up. So you can save that link to your favorites to have quick access.....unless this post prompts a change in the document security or something. ;)

Sorry, Tex, I think you blew it.

If I didn't want to shoot the Florida State Match every year, I would probably drop my membership at this point.

I sit in front of the computer all day long and the last thing I want is to put MORE time on the computer.

Printing out a Chronicle on a printer would probably cost $20 a month in ink, so that's not an option.

So what's next the WIRE?

Sad day.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I too hate reading from the computer, I had much rather curl up in my favorite chair and slowly enjoy every word of the CC. Also I never throw them away; like many of you have said, they find a home at the Barber shop or Dr's office ,etc. I also have several at monthly shoots and often give one to casual visitors who seem interested. I know E reading its the wave of the future, but not for this old guy.

Cheers , Hoss C.

I guess it doesn't really matter to me. I never really liked the newspaper format anyway. I would have preferred a magazine. I hated to see Shoot magazine go away. With the loss of picture posting abilities and now this, It does make one wonder :(

I like the printed version. I do not like reading off of electronic devices. Just keeping up to date reading the SASS wire daily is a chore for me, but necessary as a TG.

There have been many good reasons stated in previous post to continue with the printed version.

I would propose that if the monthly issue is totally dead due to financial reasons maybe going back to a quarterly printing may save enough money to continue on with the printed version?

I am the owner of a closed print shop.

Computers have killed the majority of the print business whether job printing or newspapers. Our local newspaper (Springfield News and Leader) is rapidly heading toward a digital format.

I don't like it but the popularity of the digital age is bringing print media to a rapid close.

Take a look at the music business. Sales of "records/CDs" going down rapidly as internet sales go up.

I can see print advertising going down but I do not see that as a symbol of SASS weakness, just a sign of the times.

I certainly understand the decision, doesn't mean I like the result. It would have been nice to give us a heads up via email that this was happening to see how many of us would opt to pay the $35.00 to get a printed copy before announcing that the March issue would be the last printed one.

Having come from the Printing & Publishing industry I personally know the impact digital communications has had on a lot of my customers.

Change or go out of business. :wacko:<_<

TB

A shame- I spend every day in front of a computer (like right now), was nice to hold the printed version, but a sign of the times I guess… and SASS isn't going away- I just got here!

I suspect there's going to be a pretty big drop in membership, My guess would be that for a large number of SASS members who only shoot local match's there's no real reason for them to be SASS members other than the only thing they get each month that tie's them to the organization"The Chronicle".

Most of our membership don't look at the SASS wire let alone participate on it, I suspect a digital copy of the Chronicle will just be looked at as just more spam.

I think completely stopping the Chronicle is a giant mistake, Even if it became a smaller quarterly or Bi annual it would be better than nothing.

When it comes time to renew membership anybody that's on the line and no longer has a hard reason to renew is going to be gone.

Just the way I see it.

Willy B'

Seriously you would drop your membership because you don't want to read an electronic copy of the same publication?

Let's see,

1. Vendors may advertise more because the cost to put an add in electronically is far easier than a printed copy. The E publications I get have not lost advertisers.

2. SASS is a business. Printing costs have gone up, and labor costs. If you have a line item in your business for printing and the cost keeps rising you don't rob from the rest of the business to keep paying for a printed version.

3. Using paper these days is still environmentally not the best way to go.

4. Now you don't have to read the Chronical at home. You can read it anywhere.

5. Tex is right, it's the 21st century and you don't have a computer or smart phone? I buy 80% of my cowboy stuff off of the internet. It's cheaper and I can shop nationally.

6. As to file size, it's a PDF and they are already doing this for our European friends of SASS.

7. Letting people know about SASS, send them to the home page with an E mail link, or just write it down for them.

8. They are now going to replace Tex and his wife as they are retiring from being the editors. This will cost them more.

9. If you want a printed copy you pay for it, thats what they did with the European gang as it was too expensive to send printed copies.

You still have the Chronical, it's just in a different media.

Ike

I never would read Tex or Captain Baylor ,but did like the rest.I guess I just want read it at all.

Watch out for the next shoe to drop......

Clubs will have you bring Smart Phones to the match so you can have your own copy of the stages to read! :D

It is sad that print media is going the way of the iron horse. However, it is the reality of life.

The positive side is that the print version is going to be available. Costly, but available.

My glass is ALWAYS half full. Partially due to the SASS members; most of whom feel the same way.

Nasty

I can certainly read the CC on my computer (just paid a bunch of money to get a new one to insure I can keep operational after Microsoft stops supporting XP). But my computer is in the basement, and I sometimes like to read or re-read parts of the CC in the "throne room". I don't have a "smart phone". The only time my cell phone smarts is when I sit or fall on it when it is in my pocket!

I see my own local newspaper is getting ridiculously thin, as they combine sections, and otherwise consolidate. I suppose it will go away in favor of an e-version. But, again, I like reading it at the breakfast table, and we use it for our paper-trained doggie!

Not going to quick SASS...so long as I can shoot...but I do think this is a rather unfortunate move.

I like to read. I like the feel of paper in my hands. I even like cap and ball revolvers. I am a thing of the past.....

Fordyce

It is online JHQ.... Use this link!

I don't even think you have to log in as a member thataway. I just typed the link into my Android powered phone and it opened right up. So you can save that link to your favorites to have quick access.....unless this post prompts a change in the document security or something. ;)

Thank you! I got right in.

As a life member, I wasn't aware that I agreed to anything changing in my membership, and yes I do read, enjoy the hard copy and pass it on as well. I think that if they spent more time getting articles from various vendors and publishing articles on equipment and techniques they may have more sponsors. But the last couple have had very few of those articles and a whole bunch of the various regional shoots. Nothing that can advise a shooter at any stage of competition on what to do, what equipment to choose, and how to participate in the sport. I don't mind the historical articles, assists with coming up with an alias. But I would like to see more information on holster selections, various guns models, how to reload, how to shoot black powder as oppose to frontier cartridge as opposed to smokeless, what rifles, pistols and shotgums to choose. These articles are what the chronicle used to be and it has been monthly for the last 10 or so years. It is sad that once again we are getting the short end of the stick, remember guys, the spirit of the game? We have to pay attention to all the period correct rules that have been set up and yet here we are now going to a "digital" newspaper? Something is really wrong here. Again there doesn't seem to be any choice, it is unfortunate that I made the investment in a life membership is that contract means nothing between me and SASS in as much as SASS can change the benefits after accepting my money and agreeing to the terms at the time. The only reason I get a hard printed copy of the American Rifleman is so I too can hand out those and not have to enter a damn code to get it released.

All I can say is that I am disappointed and that I have no recourse, but it damn well better look like a newspapaer AND it better come to us without any codes to view it. I see this as another way for the owners to make more money at our expense and one of these days someone else is going to create a new "SASS" and give them a run for their money and membership.

Disappointed as hell!

Well, at least we get a choice. I like the printed copy, so I'll gladly pay $35 a year to get it. Like Quick Cal said, "that's less than $3 a month" . H@!! I've been known to go hawg wild and spend $3 day on Lotto :wacko: Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I like a few others skim through it then recycle bin. On the other hand my inlaws read it and take clippings for a scrap book for my son. He started when he was 13 so there are some cool memories. I will gladly pay to reup my inlaws issue. In any business you have to make tough choices for the overall strength of the company. If the company fails we all lose a little. I have been hard on SASS in the past and stand by those decisions. But with some of the moves that have taken place over the last year (Deuce ROC / Misty WB ) I think they are headed in the right direction. If the CC was supported by advertising and not membership dues then it's hard to blame SASS. The fact is after we get into this sport most of our money is in reloading and travel. Most of us buy used guns and leather last for a long time. So I can understand the advertising dollar may not have been going as far as the vendors needed it to. SASS will still get my money.

I too like to read away from the computer and prefer to read from paper as opposed to the monitor......

The end of the printed CC is not the End of the Trail though.....

They make these things for computers called "Printers"......

And with these devices you can print your own copy of the CC right from your own computer.

Heck, you can even choose which pages to print so you don't waste paper.....

It's really easy, logon to sassnet, open the newest version of the CC, click on the little printer icon at the bottom and then put a check mark in the boxes of the pages you want to print or click the "Select All" button....

Hit the Print button and the next thing you know you have your own paper copy of the CC ready to be read in the cammode, shop, cave, bed, kitchen, garage, etc......

BTW, you can also download the pdf file to your PC, it about 17Mb this month.

Sorry for the sarcasm but the tone of this thread was heading off the hysterics cliff and the solution is so close at hand.

Archived