SASS Wire Forum

No more printed copies of the Cowboy Chronicle

Wasatch Lawman

It is online JHQ.... Use this link!

I don't even think you have to log in as a member thataway. I just typed the link into my Android powered phone and it opened right up. So you can save that link to your favorites to have quick access.....unless this post prompts a change in the document security or something. ;)

I got on right away but it's awful hard to read! I can't figure out how to make it bigger. I got a Mac. Any tips??

Thanks, Rye :blink:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just puzzled about the comment that you have to have an email address with SASS to get the Chronicle.... Why?

Simply put it on the website and let the people (not just the members) download it at any time they want.

I don't believe there are any secrets in there that anyone can use against any members.

no secrets at all

just sent out to current paying members

I do not see anything wrong with that

yet

mileage will most often vary

Well, I will admit that the paper Chronicle is my second favorite part of SASS (right behind shooting), and I also use it as a recruiting tool. And my Dad without Internet and that can not shoot competitions due to health loves it when I pass them on to him. But, I love this sport more than any other I have been involved in, and I will continue to be a member as long as I can. Because of my personal reasons, I will be one that pays for a print edition if they get enough willing to pay for it. Business is business, and I would rather pay a little more to get a service I desire than to risk losing my favorite hangout. This is another example of why we need to continue to recruit new members. Our ranks are continuing to age, and every time we lose an old timer to the real End of Trail, that is $40 less that SASS is able to use for marketing, salaries, etc. Not trying to be cold, just real.So, am I disappointed about losing my free print Chronicle? Of course. Am I willing to spend less than I spend on a box of colt bullets for reloading to keep it? I think so.

What is this lawsuit at FR? Someone got hurt? Please advise. Thanks. Nota John

I herd it was a new-cents suit, and dismissed

only after FR was being forced to spend $$ in defence that could have been better spent for CAS

perhaps that is just a part of the bottom line and the future of our beloved hobby

What is this lawsuit at FR? Someone got hurt? Please advise. Thanks. Nota John

Not knowing all about it, but from what I understand, some people who bought homes down the road from a shooting range are shocked that they can hear gunfire

I got on right away but it's awful hard to read! I can't figure out how to make it bigger. I got a Mac. Any tips??

Been a Mac user since 1985, when the PDF opens on your screen scroll to the bottom and a magnifying lens will apear, click on it to enlarge the image.

TB

It is easy to get The Chronicle on line, and you can just print out the articles that interest you. Do that and take it to your armchair. Times change, and if The Chronicle was the only reason you joined SASS, and not to support a wonderful sport, then perhaps it was the wrong reason. Obviously, those of you that commented here know how to get around a computer. I prefer the printed version, and see no problem is paying the rather small fee being asked to keep it coming. Heck, I imagine most of you spend more than $3 per month on coffee (or other liquid libations) . I think the information that this is going to happen was rather abrupt and I would have liked to have had more notice, but it really does not change anything. SASS is a business, and they must make business decisions to keep afloat, ones that are not always easy. It doesn't matter what they do, someone will whine about it anyway.

Just got my renewal notice and reupped. Don't recall it saying they were doing away with the CC. Seems kind of decieving to me. Don't have high speed internet out here in the sticks and I'm not going to wait 2 hrs for it to download and I'm not going to spend another $35 on top of the $45 I'm spending now for a magazine. I can't see how they're losing money on it when 3/4 of it is advertisments . Pay more and get less. WHAT A JOKE!

Let's see, SASS is not making enough money from advertisers to keep printing Chronicle. How many spectators did they draw when in CA. compared to NM? May be that's why they are not getting anywhere near the vendors at EOT that they used to get when in CA. Winter Range gets twice as many entrants as EOT and way more vendors. SASS is in financial trouble since moving to New Mexico. Think maybe they screwed up buying "Flounders Ranch" ? If they needed to get out of CA. they should have gone to somewhere with a large population center like Las Vegas (the CA. spectators would still have come), or Texas or Arizona. Let's face it, their financial problems were caused by mistakes they made, not by the members. I think stopping the printed Chronicle is going to come back and bite them in the butt.

Best reply yet:

Howdy,

Most of you reading this may not know who I am, since I haven't been able to be that active in SASS for the past few years. I have been around Western Shooting Sports since the 1960's, starting with the sport of Fast Draw as a teenager. Fast Draw had about 100,000 followers in its heyday, but it declined with the changing times and politics of the 60's and 70's. While in the 80's while I was very involved in IPSC, which later became USPSA, I took notice of the beginning of EOT and later SASS. In the 90's I got totally involved in SASS, because it stood for something that was dear to my heart, and always will be, The Cowboy Way.

You see, it's about the true spirit of the American Old West, even though there is no way we can actually duplicate it. If people don't understand the Cowboy Way, it's very hard to explain, but for those of us who do, it requires no further explanation.....

SASS stands for something, the Wild Bunch made it their life's passion and are doing their best to realize the reality of passing that Legacy onto future generations to enjoy. It's bigger than any one of them and it is bigger than them combined. It's about preserving the Spirit of the Cowboy Way!

Yes, I'm personally disappointed that we have just seen our last printed Cowboy Chronicle. I do understand though that things cost money, especially specialized things. It also takes hard work and dedication to make SASS a reality for everyone to enjoy.

I read the other thread related to the Cowboy Chronicle going electronic and having to pay for a printed version. I will gladly pay $35 for the printed version, which is less than $3 a month, in hopes that they can afford to keep printing it. I'll bet that it cost more than $3 to print it and mail it each month. Even though I obviously own a computer, I personally like a hard copy to read.

I understand that people have their opinions, it's a free country. But, the shear magnitude of just running such a large organization and managing a shooting sport takes a tremendous amount of full time dedication and work. People need to earn a living doing those things to make sure that they are done. SASS has actually kept their annual membership fees low for years, they are a great value for what is received in return, regardless of receiving the Chronicle. Without SASS, there is no Cowboy Action Shooting for you, your children and grandchildren to have a chance to enjoy.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Wild Bunch of the past, present and our future for all that they have done. What they started back in the 1980's gave birth to the re-emergence of the western style guns, clothing and equipment we can now all enjoy and have access to. I will always Ride for the Brand. It's my honor to support SASS and what it stands for, for I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to pass the spirit of the Cowboy Way onto my family. That is priceless!

Hit'em Fast,

Quick Cal

Well,

To be honest, I was just thinking about no longer receiving the paper copy of the chronicle. With the addtion of ipads, smartphones & such to the household it seemed wasteful to get the hard copy. I hope access to the electronic version will be just as rewarding to read and saves SASS some money. Thanks to the Wild Bunch for SASS.

Hasta Luego,

Keystone

Been a Mac user since 1985, when the PDF opens on your screen scroll to the bottom and a magnifying lens will apear, click on it to enlarge the image.

TB

I used the link that was posted by Monco and I didn't see any magnifying lens!!

Maybe if it's done on computer we can read about club and regional matches quickly rather than waiting a year or so...

Well pards I'll just put in my two cents worth:

Being in this fantastic sport for many years I for one will truly miss going to the mail box and picking up the Cowboy Chronicle. I guess it is what it is. I do hope the paper stays as I really enjoy receiving same.

I am a die hard SASS cowboy shooter and intend to stay one way or another

See you all on the range some where.

I used the link that was posted by Monco and I didn't see any magnifying lens!!

Your cursor becomes a "spy glass" with a "+" when you hover over the page. Click on the page and it enlarges for reading. Scroll through the pages or use the direction arrows that show up on either side. I am using a Mac, so not sure how it works on a PC......

Be patient, guys. It just takes a bit of getting used to!

The only person who likes change is a wet baby! :)

Rye...I don't have a Mac but I have a method that just might work for you. When you click on the link to the web version of the Chronicle here you are taken to a page that shows the front page of the Cowboy Chronicle. There are some icons at the bottom of the screen. One of them is "Browse PDF." Look at a screen grab in this picture. When you click on that link you will be taken to a Acrobat web viewer page and you'll find zoom controls at the top of that page in the middle as shown in this screen grab. Let me know if this works for you.

Kajun

I am not sure how they are going to send it or what format it will be in. However, a digital version has been on the 'Member's Only' page for quite a while. One big benefit is that the photos on the digital site are mostly in color, even when the same photo in the print version is in black and white. Also, they are much higher resolution photos. In a lot of the technical articles I write I spent a lot of time taking close-up photos. When these are converted to the half-tones used in newspapers all the detail is lost. The new digital Chronicle should (I hope) have much better pictures.

How do you get on an email list to get the CC emailed monthly.... I can't read any online mag or newspaper for enjoyment, it just doesn't work for me.... I like the idea of printing it out myself and well maybe if we all have to do that they give us a 50% discount on our membership fees of which went to producing a nice news paper for us, at least I thought that what my membership went to.... boy was I snookered..... If they go to online only they need to change the format a bit so it can be printed out to be read on letter size paper... I don't know who to talk to but if I can lend a hand in it's production whoever is reading all this that can make a decision give me a holler....

I am not sure how they are going to send it or what format it will be in. However, a digital version has been on the 'Member's Only' page for quite a while. One big benefit is that the photos on the digital site are mostly in color, even when the same photo in the print version is in black and white. Also, they are much higher resolution photos. In a lot of the technical articles I write I spent a lot of time taking close-up photos. When these are converted to the half-tones used in newspapers all the detail is lost. The new digital Chronicle should (I hope) have much better pictures.

From what I read in Tex's article, they will be sending it to members. SASS sends a link to download a PDF version for members that have elected to receive the Chronicle in that form.

This link is slower than what is currently provided, but you can download it and see what the PDF version looks like.

http://members.sassnet.com/documents/08decchron.pdf

How do you get on an email list to get the CC emailed monthly....

Call SASS HQ to update your email you want to receive the link.

As per Tex's article, SASS will be sending the link to your email address they have on file. "There are many members who have not provided their email address for the SASS database. It's time. Please do so as quickly as possible... the April issue will be digital. Communicate wtih any of the young ladies at SASS Headquarters, and they'll update your information."

Just a side note; NCOWS membership dues are $30.00 a year with a whole lot smaller membership and they print a pretty nice magazine every other month. But ithen it's non-profit too ;)

I wish there was an NCOWS club near Georgia. I would join them as well.

.........I find this rather strange....during the late 70's, early 80's I belonged to the IHMSA - a

silhouette-shooting organization. Started out like a house a'fire, then due to lack of funds and some

other factors, the sport and organization waned. Kinda' sounds a bit familiar here. I think that

organization is still in existence today, but on a much reduced scale. 'Same holds true for the old

USRA.

would SASS be destined for the same fate????

FWIW, Doc

After reading all the input on this topic for a couple of days, I wanted to wait to see what Tex actually wrote in his editorial. Now that I have.....how insulting to his customers! "What about those who don't have a computer? The best advice is to get one." Really? You are asking YOUR customers to spend another $500+ in order to get the CC? And according to your own website, it's an additional $10 to get the PDF version mailed to us? And on that same website...in bold no less...it states the CC is included in the membership. I guess you didn't think about just raising membership fees by $5 or so across the board? Much easier to swallow as we all know costs are going up.

I don't know what ideas were bandied-about to come up with asking for another $35 to provide the service we each agreed to for our yearly payment. The major reason I keep with SASS is for the CC and the wire, in that order. Both have costs. Running the wire can't be cheap...bandwidth and all. How about making the wire for PAID customers only? Why should I be subsidizing non-customers for their access?

I understand the costs of printing and mailing, but come on...SASS doesn't pay for most of the CC's content. At least 99% as Tex said. I've submitted three articles. One was printed, didn't hear back on the others. No problem, maybe they weren't right (though a response would have been nice). And I have written articles for several magazines and newsletters. The CC was the ONLY one I wasn't paid for. But I wanted to support it, so I didn't bother me...then.

So....I will not be taking the printed version. Nor will I be paying another $10 to access the online version. I only access the internet once a day. Cuz' I got better REAL things to do than be attached to another electronic device. So......

- Hey advertisers! You're not going to reach me at all now so don't expect my order anytime soon. Cuz' I'm not getting the CC any longer.

- Match Directors. If you have a great shoot and use the CC to tell me about it in order to go to your shoot, I'm not coming. Cuz' I'm not getting the CC any longer.

- To those who write articles. Yes "some are great; others not," (boy THAT was insulting) I won't see anything you write. Cuz' I'm not getting the CC any longer.

- Col. Dan Sir, I won't be able to hear your words of wisdom, your calls to action, nor your insightful thoughts on our state of government . Cuz' I'm not getting the CC any longer.

SASS now reminds me of United Airlines charging for every little "extra" that used to be included. I have hundreds of thousands of miles on them. But I don't fly them any longer. So I'm just waiting for the Southwest Airlines of Old West Shooting to start up!

And this whole issue reminds me of a saying.....

If you LIKE your Cowboy Chronicle, you can KEEP your Cowboy Chronicle. PERIOD.

OK. If I have to pay an additional $35/$10 for it SASS....YOU can keep it!

This is just my feeling. No one else's that I know of. Go ahead and flame away.

I have always got the printed version, but just now got an e-mail telling me to download the March Version.

I would think that if you don't get an e-mail in the next couple of days, y'all might want to make sure they have a current address for you.

People can go to their local libraries and use their computers for free. It does not cost a penny to read the digital version of it.

PS: Just rec'd the link for The Chronicle in my email today.

Yesterday after reading this post I googled cowboy chronicle and guess what, it came right up. Didn't take me long and I was flippen the pages and wonderin why I didn't I try it sooner. I am not computer savey but anybody who can navigate the SASS website should be able to navigate the CC on line. I think their doin us a favor. If you gotta have literature to take to the outhouse, print out a page or two ta take with ya.You can also fold it into an airplane an fly it or file it away. whatever. I've got a lot of good information from Larsen P. in the paper an I'm gonna keep right on gettin his stuff long as he puts it in. I'm not about ta give up my membership in SASS over this either. It's been a great ride for about 15 years an I ain't ready ta get off yet. I bet in the old days when them old guys what used front stuffers took one look at lever rifles an thought , what are them things good for? guess we all know the answer to that one. You might like the ride if you just get on.

Yesterday after reading this post I googled cowboy chronicle and guess what, it came right up. Didn't take me long and I was flippen the pages and wonderin why I didn't I try it sooner. I am not computer savey but anybody who can navigate the SASS website should be able to navigate the CC on line. I think their doin us a favor. If you gotta have literature to take to the outhouse, print out a page or two ta take with ya.You can also fold it into an airplane an fly it or file it away. whatever. I've got a lot of good information from Larsen P. in the paper an I'm gonna keep right on gettin his stuff long as he puts it in. I'm not about ta give up my membership in SASS over this either. It's been a great ride for about 15 years an I ain't ready ta get off yet. I bet in the old days when them old guys what used front stuffers took one look at lever rifles an thought , what are them things good for? guess we all know the answer to that one. You might like the ride if you just get on.

+1

Folks, this could be a good thing in the long run.

My hope would be that, with the new EIC coming in, and the push to go all digital, perhaps it is time to reinvent the Cowboy Chronicle and even perhaps the way SASS communicates with its members entirely.

My first thought is the Chronicle, in its currnt format, is dificult to read electronically. Font is small, format is wrong for screen viewing, the list goes on an on.

Wouldn't it be neat if they changed to more of a magazine format? Shoot! magazine is what got me to know about SASS and interested in doing it. If you wanted to keep a print model, a format like that would be great for the electronic age.

And, perhaps they should do away with periodicals entirely.

In this electronic age, instead of waiting 4 months after a shoot is over for a story in the CC, could the CC go to an all electronic news format whether it be blog style, or some other format. Updated regularly with various stories, photos, and who knows what else.

Like Tex said, it all depends on if someone is willing to pick up the ball and run with it or not.

I just read a digital PDF copy of the latest CC.

Some formating changes are needed....

First, having to constantly scroll the PDF file up and down to read the columns is a pain. They need to reformat so you read from one side of the comptuter screen to the other. Top to bottom of the screen should be one page. And here's a big one, the days of "CONTINUED ON PAGE XXX" must now be over. There are no pages to turn. Artilce from top to bottom. Maybe interupted by adds, but not pages of the start of other articles. Otherwise, it's too hard to read.

I signed up for the CC electronically, all you need to do is give them your email. I downloaded the CC from the SASS email sent to me with no problem. I still think it's more comfortable to sit at my kitchen table with breakfast and coffee and read the print version. I guess if I had a laptop I could do that but right now I have an I Mac and it's set up in my office. It kinda sucks reading the CC back here. :angry: Rye

BTW thanks for all the tips pards!! :)

Archived