SASS Wire Forum

Power walk or hot foot between gun transitions

stepnmud#33546

At Thunder River Renegades, we have a saloon stage maybe 25' long and might start with rifle on the left side, then to the far right side for revolvers and back to the middle for shotgun. While watching many shooters travel the stage, I got a kick out of counting their steps inbetween guns. Some took little quick steps, others made several bounds and some were more casual. The faster ya go is beneficial to lower times, but enjoyed seeing how all the shooters handled the travel distance between guns.

I try to remember to take fast big steps.I don't always.

I was timing a shooter once who had those short little holsters that barely hold the gun.

He went runnin' down the stage to the far shooting position.

Slid to an abrupt stop.

But, the guns kept movin'......................till they hit the ground.

Be safe out there!

--Dawg

I have bad knees and feet, and the rest of my body is not far behind.

Running and bending is not something I do any more. Even walking is harder than it used to be.

Like Muleshoe, I get there.

In the past it's been more of a mosey for me, but I've tried to step that up lately to a fast mosey.

But as others have said, it depends on my knees and feet. By the end of the day I'm likely to slow down if they are hurting, and most of the time they are.

BIG STEPS.... are a lot faster. Cracks me up, too, to watch a 6'+ cowboy doing a little skip to the next gun.

Faster to start than to stop....and faster to slide 2-3 big steps than turn and run then try to stop.

I use to run like blazes. Still can. For about two, mebbe two anna half strides. So I just kinds amble now. Rapidly, but amble. I have seen the feller Prarie Dawg spoke of though. Little bitty holsters, shorty barrel guns, guns don't stop runnin for 2 extra strides. Since I like itty bitty holsters, and guns wid itty bitty barrels, amblin ain't so bad.

Coffinmaker

What is flat out to the runner often does not appear to be so for observers, I know is hard to believe but am working on getting my speed up to the level of molasses

As possibly interesting side note, back in the stone age the army physical fitness test had an event called the run dodge and jump or as we called it trip stumble and fall.

There was an 8 - 10 foot ditch (maybe narrower this was 45 years ago) with two barriers about 6 foot from the edge on either side and another barrier about 3 foot farther out from each.

Drill was start about 10 ft past far barrier run up and go between the barriers jump ditch at angle going to the opposite side of the barrier across ditch go beween the barriers around the back of the barrier between the barriers again angel across the ditch to the opposite side of front barrier between the barriers and run across the start line to finish.

Technique was everything The drill sergeant demonstrated that walking fast taking big steps with single sideways jumps between the barriers a quick side jump half way past the far barrier with a 3/8 backward spin and side jump to a position where a side jump would clear the barrier in the opposite direction and a couple of quick steps and leap across the ditch with a side jump between the barriers and quick big steps to the finish line was a second or two faster than running in between and around the barriers with many smaller steps. Running the course with the single side jumps and that side jump pivot thing was the quickest possible way. Long legs, which I do not possess also helped.

I have seen folks saunter, stroll, wander, meander, drift, walk, mosey, and promenade. They can float, fly, waddle, and roll.

I have seen folks shufle, hop, skip, doddle, waddle, and wade. They have zigged, zagged, twisted, snaked, and serpentined.

I try and take puropseful, biger steps keeping a low center of gravity, especially if I have my pistols still to shoot. I found that if I ran, it gets my heart rate up too much. Increased heart rate does things to the eyes and especially makes it harder to focus on the front sight. That was one of the things they taught us when doing the biathalon.

I believe in moving as briskly as one's physical condition allows. Falling with a firearm in one's hands or having revolvers bounce out of holsters is not acceptable. Wet conditions require slower, more deliberate movement. Wearing spurs complicates movement. I never run. I sometimes walk.

There is a reason football linebackers are taught to always face the line and move by sidestepping.. It can be a very quick way to move as well as reducing the possibility of breaking the 170 when reholstering.

Since it against the Outlaw Creed to run, I mosey, walk fast, or saunter but never skip, moonwalk, or sashay :lol:

Yep, big steps. When To'ing sometime I find myself taking half the steps as the shooter or taking 6-7 big steps to keep up with a running shooter.

Fillmore

Well...a couple of the ladies around here gave me the nickname of Tigger. Seems I tend to hop or bounce occasionally between positions.

And those who know who Tigger is....knows that "Tiggers like to bounce" lol

Why I dash of course! But every once in awhile... for some strang reason I take one big hop ...like some easter bunny then quickstep ...wierd. Dashing is faster.

I was told to slow down cuz Outlaws don't run. :o

But I can't help myself, I run as fast as I can cuz that's where I can make up a second or two.

I'd like a stage or two to have 50 yards between guns then I might really shine. :lol:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Archived