SASS Wire Forum

How do you shoot Gunfighter?

Scarlett's topic about Slip Hammering made me think of this. For those of you shooting gunfighter do you cock the revolver right before you shoot it or before you shoot the opposite revolver? What are the pros and cons to each "style"? I guess I should add the 3rd style of double cocking, but that seemed to be slower and could make patterns more confusing than the other 2 styles in my opinion. 

ie I draw both guns and cock both hammers as I am coming up on target. I shoot my left gun and then quickly re-cock that left hammer while I am aiming the right gun. Once the left hammer is cocked I shoot the right gun and quickly re-cock that right hammer just before I shoot the left gun. 

Or do you do it like Jed I Knight. Where he cocks the left revolver and then shoots the left revolver. Cocks the right revolver then shoots the right revolver. 

• Like 1

I double cock.  I only spend the time to cock 5 times as opposed to 10 times.  I can also change leads and move my pistols independently.  Most people who alternate cock keep their pistols together and move both of them from target to target.  Either way can be fast.  I'd recommend going to the range on a pretty day with about 300 rounds and figure out which way your brain is wired.  Double cocker or alternate cocker.  Each has its advantages.  You've got to find out which way works for you.

• Like 4

I am cocking the second gun while firing the first gun.  I don't double cock.  The reasoning for me is this is a fine motor skill.  Meaning 3000 + occurrences to learn and maintain the skill.  Also difficult to unlearn.  If I encounter split pistols, I believe the possibility of double cocking your way into a Procedural or Safety violation is more probable.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I double cock.  I only spend the time to cock 5 times as opposed to 10 times.  I can also change leads and move my pistols independently.  Most people who alternate cock keep their pistols together and move both of them from target to target.  Either way can be fast.  I'd recommend going to the range on a pretty day with about 300 rounds and figure out which way your brain is wired.  Double cocker or alternate cocker.  Each has its advantages.  You've got to find out which way works for you.

I started out double cocking and learned about alternate cocking and shoot much better that way. I was more curious about how many people shoot the 2 different styles of alternate cocking and the pros and cons between the two. 

For my opinion between the 2,  I suspect the way Jed I Knight shoots is slower than the way I do (though he is still pretty quick); but split pistols always get me in trouble because my hands just cock that 6th shot out of habit before I can fire the 5th shot and I have to shoot the 6th shot where I am standing and take the P.

I've tried to retrain my brain to shoot like he does but it just hasn't set in yet. Habits die hard. 

Edited by Idaho Gunslinger

8 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If I encounter split pistols, I believe the possibility of double cocking your way into a Procedural or Safety violation is more probable.  

Believe me, I have painted myself into that corner before.  The way I handle split pistols as a double cocker is I will only cock the left pistol as I draw my pistols.  Shoot the left pistol only.  Then double cock, double cock.  I should be finished with the 5 shot string and both hammers down.  I get the single shot out of the way the 1st shot.  Then at the 2nd position, I double cock, double cock and then it's just a single shot with the right pistol.  After that last single shot, make sure you don't put a cocked pistol in your holster, even though it's empty.  That's an expensive mistake you'll want to avoid.  

There is a special place in Hell waiting for people who write split pistol stages.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

There is a special place in Hell waiting for people who write split pistol stages.  

YEP!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Idaho Gunslinger said:

I started out double cocking and learned about alternate cocking and shoot much better that way. I was more curious about how many people shoot the 2 different styles of alternate cocking and the pros and cons between the two. 

For my opinion between the 2,  I suspect the way Jed I Knight shoots is slower than the way I do (though he is still pretty quick); but split pistols always get me in trouble because my hands just cock that 6th shot out of habit before I can fire the 5th shot and I have to shoot the 6th shot where I am standing and take the P.

I've tried to retrain my brain to shoot like he does but it just hasn't set in yet. Habits die hard. 

I don’t shoot Gunfighter but have a friend who does and alternately cocks.  When shooting a split pistol stage he starts his count with 6 because he never cooks after the 9th shot. Essentially he counts 6, 7, 8, 9, don’t cock, 10. When he starts the second group of the split pistol he again starts his count at 6. I hope. That make sense?

Randy

14 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

YEP!

Why, especially if it’s just a split location with no gun in between?

Randy

• Like 1

I double cock when I draw them and then alternate cock after the first shot. I change leads and crossover as needed. 

I figure out how I’ll shoot my rifle and shoot revolvers exactly the same way(unless the stage instructions are different for them).

I double cock. If it’s split pistols I shoot it double duelist.

• Like 9

Im a firm believer in multi tasking.

If you have a number of tasks that take X amount of time -

you can linearly stack those tasks individually and your time to completion is the SUM of each of those tasks 

OR 

you can attempt to complete some of those tasks concurrently getting you some "twoferone" deals in time spent.

People tend to think of transitions (in our game) as the movement between positions or the transition between one gun to the next.

But transitions can simply mean how efficiently you move shot to shot.

Draw 1st - draw 2nd - cock 1st - fire 1st - cock 2nd - fire 2nd

is less efficient than

Draw both - cock both - fire 1st - fire 2nd - cock both - fire 1st - fire 2nd

which is less efficient than

Draw both - cock both - fire 1st - fire 2nd (while cocking 1st) - fire 1st (while cocking 2nd)

Notice I said less efficient - not necessarily slower.

Efficiency is an objective measure.

Speed is wholly dependent upon the individual.

There are NUMEROUS shooters that are faster than others doing things in a less efficient manner.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022
  • Like 6

I'm a Flexi Flyer.  I cock both coming out of the Leather, then alternate from there on, firing one while cocking the other, repeat as needed.

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker
I absolutely HATE Otto
  • Like 4

My thumbs don't work as good as they used to so I don't gunfighter as much, but when I do I am a double cocker and if it is split pistol, I only cock one pistol for the first shot, then start the double cocking.  For the second five, I will double, double, single.

Idaho, I know that isn't what you asked, but hey, thread drift. :)

Edited by Abilene, SASS # 27489
  • Like 1

I have tried to cock one while firing the other revolver. Couldn't do it. I will do both double cocking and alternate cocking depending on the stage.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Draw both - cock both - fire 1st - fire 2nd (while cocking 1st) - fire 2nd (while cocking 1st)

Thats how I do it.

My left thumb and right index finger work simultaneously.

AND... my right thumb and left index finger work simultaneously.

My other 6 fingers on each hand grip the pistol while my 3rd hand grabs shotgun shells, etc....... :lol:

..........Widder

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I always keep it simple.  Start with left, then right, L,R and so on until done. I can't ever remember switching leads. Most of our stages are about 3 sweeps so there is no real need to. No slip hammer. Cock shoot,  cock shoot. Have to remember hammers down om empty to move from one position to another that occasionally shows up.  I usually announce "hammers down on empty" before move so the TO notices. 

12 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Missouri Lefty does not double cock.

kR

I've seen him shoot. He shoots fully automatic revolvers.  At least, that's what they sound like.:D

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I do the exact same thing as @Badlands Bob #61228  Exactly. Though he does it quicker than I and probably more efficiently. :P 

My brain can NOT alternate. I “generally” shoot odd shots Left and even shots Right but double cocking works with my brain and allows me to change leads without crossing over or really thinking about it. 

I agree with Bob, too, on split pistols with a gun in between. Without, I move with the guns - why? Because I’m a GUNFIGHTER! :D Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter! :ph34r: 

Big hugs! 
Scarlett

• Like 4

Mostly shoot double duelist now. But shot GFer for many years.

I would double cock coming out of the holsters. 

Then alternate for the rest of the string.   

I'm a unrepented double cocker.  I tried to alternate cock, as instructed by my gunfighter mentor, Jackalope.  It just didn't feel right. I will alternate cock if the stage works better that way.  While double cocking, I have no trouble changing leads.

What's funny is that if a pistol sequence is very difficult, I just concentrate on shooting the targets in the correct order and I don't think about single or double cocking.  Whatever comes out of the revolvers just happens.  Most of the time this works just fine; occasionally, at the end of a string a revolver will just go click.  When that happens, I just shoot it with the other revolver.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fretless said:

When I was brand new to gunfighter I asked @Widder, SASS #59054 and @Jackalope if they had any advice.  They both unflinchingly said the same thing. 

"Don't double cock.  Don't listen to @Krazy Kajun"

Now there I was just minding my own business when BAM, my good name is besmirched.  I occasionally shoot GF when I want a change of pace....started out cocking both  and eventually dry fired my way into retraining what little bit of brain I have left into building muscle memory to alternate cock the pistols.  Just so ya know...I am undefeated and world's champion in my basement dry firing competitions. :P

Kajun

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

It just didn't feel right.

It's not supposed to feel right.  It's supposed to hurt just a little and cause a weird tingling sensation.  Also, if you use enough Goex, it should make you wet your pants just a little bit every time you pull the trigger.

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I double cock, started out purely shooting gunfighter outlaw style,  I usually start left pistol, when it’s a shoot 5 and move I always try to throw the first shot as a single, then double the next two pair.    More than one spotter has told me that they hate spotting for me….. whatever suits your style, just have fun…..,,, I keep trying to concisely try to slow down and AIM, but the outlaw in me keeps taking over and I just let em rip.

• Like 3