SASS Wire Forum

The 2nd Amendment Gun Cart

Yul Lose

I’ve been working on this gun cart for quite awhile. The pard that I built it for has been after me for awhile to build him a special gun cart and here’s what I came up with. He really liked my rolltop carts that I’ve built in the past so that was the biggest requirement. A lot of the accouterments on the cart such as the coin hole covers and the fractal burning came about after the cart was partially built. Initially he kind of wanted a Harley Davidson themed cart but as the build progressed he went in a little different direction and I think he came up with an excellent theme. 

The cart is built out of African Black Limba lumber with through and sliding dovetail joinery and mortise and tenon joinery where needed. Double Diamond built the holsters, seats, chest handles, push bar and barrel bracket leather and he did the five leather medallions on the cabinet, chest and carriage. He wanted holsters mounted in the cart for 4 revolvers so there are 2 mounted in the chest below the trays and then 2 mounted up in the cabinet behind the roll top door. I’ve still got a couple of things to finish up like the liner in the bottom of the chest and attaching the chest holster bracket to the inside of the chest. You’ll notice in the bottom of the chest that there are a couple of loading strip bins. Each bin will hold 6 loaded strips standing on end. Just pull out a loaded strip, load up, shoot and when you return to the cart stick the empty strip back where it came from and grab another when you need it. 

The two upper trays will hold shotgun shells, tools, spare ammo, glasses, ear protection and other match needs. On the side of the cabinet there are umbrella brackets, dual cup holder and SG swab and brush holder. The chest lifts off of the carriage and the cabinet lifts off when a pin is pulled. The tires are rubber and flat free.

It took a lot of time to fractal burn the entire cart. I posted some video and pictures of the door being built awhile back and the fractal burning process on it. One reason I like to use the Black Limba when I fractal burn is that it burns really well and shows real well after the oil and lacquer finish. 

I’m pretty proud of this one and I doubt that I build many more, although there’s a pard that’s already offered to put down a deposit on #100, this one is #86.

IMG_4674.jpeg

IMG_4670.jpeg

IMG_4659.jpeg

IMG_4656.jpeg

IMG_4654.jpeg

IMG_4666.jpeg

IMG_4657.jpeg

IMG_4676.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg

IMG_4668.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg

IMG_4662.jpeg

IMG_4664.jpeg

IMG_4661.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Yul, All of your work is beautiful and outstanding. 

I think you outdid yourself in this one. "Fine Job"

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Yul, All of your work is beautiful and outstanding. 

I think you outdid yourself in this one. "Fine Job"

Thank you. When I first started this build the Harley theme was heavy on my mind, I wasn’t sure how Double Diamond was going to pull something like that off that would look good on a Cowboy Action gun cart. Pretty sure he would have come up with something good but the new owner changed things up in a good way. Double Diamond really sunk his teeth into this one. The Tree Of Liberty medallion up on the cabinet crest was pretty much carved under a magnifying glass. You’ll notice that the tree, limbs and leaves are all protruding and the tree roots are all inverted into the carving, he spent a lot of time on that. 

IMG_4657.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 3

• Yul Lose changed the title to The 2nd Amendment Gun Cart

I've seen many of your carts and have always been impressed with the workmanship, attention to detail and the functionality of them.  The fractal burning on this one looks amazing.  I would be proud of any of them, but I can see why you are maybe a little extra proud of this one.  You and Double Diamond raised the bar again.  All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I think your like a bottle of whiskey Yul...the older ya' get the better ya' get...bloody beautiful cart mate..lucky I live down under  cause fer' sure I'd steal it  [ only kiddin' I 'd give it back ...maybe !! ]

• Like 1

You two are past being craftsmen of wood and leather...you are both magicians of your craft

• Like 1

Yul, you have raised the bar yet again. 

Art by Double Diamond is superb. 

I'll bet the owner of The Patriot Cart can't stop smiling.

• Like 1

Yul, 

You cannot retire just yet - I have a cart in mind for next year.

I will have to get you dimensions and have to get your input regarding modularity and range assembly - but I would love to have one of your carts custom built to fit the available space when I finally get my new Corvette.

The looks I get now when pulling all the gear out of the current Vette are hilarious; having your custom work of art coming out of a new Mid Engined one...

That would be incredible.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yul, 

You cannot retire just yet - I have a cart in mind for next year.

I will have to get you dimensions and have to get your input regarding modularity and range assembly - but I would love to have one of your carts custom built to fit the available space when I finally get my new Corvette.

The looks I get now when pulling all the gear out of the current Vette are hilarious; having your custom work of art coming out of a new Mid Engined one...

That would be incredible.

Uhhh, we’ll have to talk.

8 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

rofl-laughing.gif

I don't know what is so funny - I use my current Corvette to visit shoots.

Gear, ammo, guns and cart.

The new Corvette has TWO trunk storage areas (front and rear) - that I believe could be used for a custom cart.

But that will be a discussion between Yul and myself.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I don't know what is so funny - I use my current Corvette to visit shoots.

Gear, ammo, guns and cart.

The new Corvette has TWO trunk storage areas (front and rear) - that I believe could be used for a custom cart.

But that will be a discussion between Yul and myself.

It was not you, I was really laughing at Yul's word choice.

And It triggered a memory of renting a Mazda Miata on a camping trip. After the trip was done and I was returning the car at the airport, I then unpacked all the gear, taped boxes back together and had a luggage cart piled high with all the stuff I pulled out of the rental.

A couple walked by and suggested I would never fit all of that stuff into the Miata, I pointed to the "rental return" sign and let them know I just unpacked all of it from the car! They walked on, then turned around to look at the luggage cart and the car again.

I think Yul can make you a cart, but you will need to think about the cart and the contents and leather and such. But my Miata experience shows amazing things are possible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

It was not you, I was really laughing at Yul's word choice.

And It triggered a memory of renting a Mazda Miata on a camping trip. After the trip was done and I was returning the car at the airport, I then unpacked all the gear, taped boxes back together and had a luggage cart piled high with all the stuff I pulled out of the rental.

A couple walked by and suggested I would never fit all of that stuff into the Miata, I pointed to the "rental return" sign and let them know I just unpacked all of it from the car! They walked on, then turned around to look at the luggage cart and the car again.

I think Yul can make you a cart, but you will need to think about the cart and the contents and leather and such. But my Miata experience shows amazing things are possible.

It is a Tetris game getting everything in the current Corvette - but it can be done.

The wife and I visited Yul down at the Escondido Bandidos with the current setup.

Folding cart, 4 pistols, 4 long guns, ammo, clothes, hats and enough regular clothes and stuff for the weekend in San Diego.

And the "peculiar" dimensions and shapes of the mid engined cars storage areas may preclude Yul from building something up to his normal standards.

But I deeply admire Yul personally and his woodwork (which I am honored to currently have a smaller example of already) is extraordinary.

I would always regret if I didn't attempt to have a guncart made by him.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for your kind compliments.

Here are a few pictures that show the beauty of the fractal burning and why, in my opinion, it adds so much to woodworking projects. It really added a lot of character to this cart. 

There is also a close up of the Tree Of Liberty carving that Double Diamond did that really shows the detail.

IMG_4681.jpeg

IMG_4682.jpeg

IMG_4683.jpeg

IMG_4684.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well today was a happy, sad day. The 2nd Amendment gun cart went home with its new owner. I spent a lot of time on that build and I’m really proud of that one, there’s just so much to look at on it. It’s been sitting in my shop right by an old barber chair that I sit in a lot and I’m going to miss looking at it. The pard that commissioned it was pretty pleased. Double Diamond and I brought it out to a local mall to meet the new owner and load it in his car and while it was sitting there waiting for him to show up a young lady that lives up near where I do came by and took a bunch of pictures and asked a lot of questions. She wanted my phone number because she wants some furniture built and wants to come over to the shop with her boyfriend and get something started.

Not long after that 2 women stopped by and one of them knew that it was a CAS gun cart right away, turned out that her late husband and I had posseed up out at Pala years ago, small world. The new cart owner showed up about then and the ladies were kind enough to take a bunch of pictures with Double Diamond, myself and the new cart owner with his new gun cart. My old pard Buck Garrett showed up and the new cart owner treated us all to lunch and we had a fantastic time. In closing I’d like to thank all of you for your kind comments, they keep me going.

IMG_0030.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I have figured it out.  You build beautiful carts (among other things), take them to the mall and women come from all over to see them.  Sly fox.  :D  Might be your best work yet.

I told the guy when he showed up that I’d have to charge him more because his cart was such a chick magnet.

• Haha 3