SASS Wire Forum

The Perfect basket for picking brass

wyliefoxEsquire

I'm with Matthew.  I've been using a boy scout cook pot for over 20 years.  I've thought about drilling holes in the bottom for the dirt to fall out, but a lot of the clubs around here now have little strainer holders attached to the sides of the unloading tables.  I set it down on the ground by the brass and move it around with the picker.   Skyhawk Hans has a nice mesh strainer on the end of a golf club shaft (?) that is pretty nice that I've used at times.

A couple months ago I shot with Alsey Miller, whom I hadn't seen in over 20 years.  He is still using the exact same coffee mug for his brass that he was using back then. :)

39 minutes ago, August West, SASS #45079 said:

Ah...

Fry basket  I like that

Or, you can have some fun and find something unique at the 2nd had store and attach it to an old cane. (In this case - a flour sifter). Now you can lean on the cane when you’re not picking brassEA5EAC12-8D3C-4454-B1CA-CD7DE85B7D6D.thumb.jpeg.71aab4e88d4479d592ea4506afb1f672.jpeg

I find the baskets from home deep fryers at the thrift and good will stores all the time for $2-$3.  I also had my wife make me some brass bags with a mesh bottom so I can just give it a shake and all the dirt and debris falls out the bottom. 

13 hours ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

I need to replace the basket used for picking brass.

Post photo of the perfect basket

Include details of where to got the basket

Just make sure that you get something Nevada Star likes really well and you're all set.

kR

Ellie picked up a black mesh pencil cup from a stationary store, I screwed it to an old cane. Looks nice. Being mesh, the dirt falls thru. Pebbles, not so much!

3 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Just make sure that you get something Nevada Star likes really well and you're all set.

kR

KR, you are right-on my friend.  Starr has worn out the existing basket.  

Have used several .  But my favorite is the small pail that misquito repellant candles come in. Had grill from cumputer fan that just fit.  One on a golf club handle and the other on a leather shoe lace.  Coil the lace in the bucket to save room .       GW

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

I use my hand. Bend over and pick up that brass. It's the quickest method.

For us old guys, getting back up can be a problem with holsters.   One club I shot at had spotter staffs (broom handles) instead of flags --great help in bending down and getting back upright.  

1 hour ago, Bison Bud said:

I have to agree with TN Mongo in that a smallish fishing or even butterfly type net has been very effective for me!

I agree with both TN Mongo and Bison Bud.  This is what I use. Small and collapsable and helps sift out the dirt. 

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ranger-folding-net

11 minutes ago, Lucky R. K. said:

Do you think the mesh nets would hold up to hot black powder brass?

Lucky :D

Yes.  Been picking my darksider pards for many moons. 

31 minutes ago, Knucky McPee said:

Yes.  Been picking my darksider pards for many moons. 

Thanks, good to know.

I prefer just a bucket on a string. And have left and lost more brass buckets at

ranges all the place than I can count.

The one we have now is a pink plastic bucket.

Have had it for YEARS.

For some reason. That pink bucket seems to find its way back to me every time.

I attached a pencil holder to an old umbrella shaft, drilled some holes in the bottom for sand to pass thru. 

A grabber with rubber cups.  Small light, and fits nicely on the cart.  

I drilled a hole through the rubber cups on the grabber, and installed small stainless steel bolts with lock nuts so they do not fall off.  

I've been using a small french-fry basket that I got from Amazon.  I cut the business end off of an old metal broom handle and stuffed the fry handle up the hole.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:56 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I'm with Matthew.  I've been using a boy scout cook pot for over 20 years.  I've thought about drilling holes in the bottom for the dirt to fall out, but a lot of the clubs around here now have little strainer holders attached to the sides of the unloading tables.  I set it down on the ground by the brass and move it around with the picker.   Skyhawk Hans has a nice mesh strainer on the end of a golf club shaft (?) that is pretty nice that I've used at times.

A couple months ago I shot with Alsey Miller, whom I hadn't seen in over 20 years.  He is still using the exact same coffee mug for his brass that he was using back then. :)

Could you, might you of shot with Alsey Miller  at the renowned  Gunfight at Gamble Gulch?!

56 minutes ago, El Catorce said:

Could you, might you of shot with Alsey Miller  at the renowned  Gunfight at Gamble Gulch?!

Actually, I shot with him at the Dec.31 match at the Tx Riviera Pistoleros.  He and El Malo taught the 1st (?) RO class in Texas and I hadn't seen since then so I was happy to know he was still around.

28 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

My favorite basket for brass is the one some young kid is using to pick up brass.

That's why we bring in the Boy Scouts at a few state shoots here. They do an excellent job. Many get to play after the day of shooting and some parents get to see the real truth about guns and shooters. Most Cowpoke donate around $10 a day and the Scouts take abt. $1000 back to the troop for their scouting adventures. 

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That's why we bring in the Boy Scouts at a few state shoots here. They do an excellent job. Many get to play after the day of shooting and some parents get to see the real truth about guns and shooters. Most Cowpoke donate around $10 a day and the Scouts take abt. $1000 back to the troop for their scouting adventures. 

Absolutely. We used a church group in the past too. 

1 hour ago, Deadwood Miner, SASS # 45575 said:

Yea, I am 20 days from 93 and I don't bend to well.

I wouldn't expect you to pick brass. Appreciate you coming out to shooting events, my dad's 94. 

Archived