SASS Wire Forum

What would you consider a vintage gun?

Alpo

You know - how old to be vintage?

Another board, and there's a thread about what types of collections do you have in your accumulation. One guy says he collects vintage Smith & Wesson hand ejectors - mostly Ks and Ns, with the occasional J or L.

L? The first L frame Smith in Wesson was introduced in 1980. That's only 42 years ago. 42 years - vintage?

Who determines "Vintage"?

As far as I know there is no "authority"  that does that sort of thing.

If one is in their 20's then a 42 year old gun would seem to be "vintage". I'm sure.

One has to ask, "Is this neo-vintage, mid-century vintage, or classic vintage?"

:P

For me, I my (pre-2005) Vaqueros are "vintage", cuz they don't make 'em no' mo'.
I'm considered "mid-century" vintage...  with mid-century vintage dental fillings...

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Who determines "Vintage"?

As far as I know there is no "authority"  that does that sort of thing.

If one is in their 20's then a 42 year old gun would seem to be "vintage". I'm sure.

There's an online story. It's taking place in about 2014. Drunk driver almost hits a little girl. The next day the sheriff is talking to the hero of the story - 16-year-old kid - who was a witness. And he asked what happened.

"It was an old red Chevy pickup, maybe a 96...", and the sheriff starts shaking his head. "Scott, to some of us 96 is not 'old'."

A pre lock Smith?

A JM Marlin pre crossbolt safety?

A pre Miroku made Winchester?

IIRC, to get antique plates for an auto or truck here in VA, it's got to be 25 yrs old. Not sure if that would apply to your "vintage" question

I am pretty sure the term "vintage" has a lot to do with price.

If a 25 year old gun is called "vintage" but has a high price one could argue that it is not vintage, therefore not worth the price.

On the other hand if someone is selling a "vintage' gun and the price is very good then one might just be very happy about their "vintage" purchase. 

Also, I feel that vintage also may have a lot to do with ego, but I won't go into that here. It might hurt someone's feelings.

My understanding as a general rule forty years is considered vintage. I’ve been collecting antiques my entire life. Other things can effect this, such as a fad in a particular area, such as stereos, furniture, etc.  something that comes and goes quickly but lead to a new development. Otherwise 40 years is the general rule. Then there’s the factor of something that comes on the market and dies, but someone else makes it famous then he/she dies. That item can be referred to as vintage, even though it may only be 20 years old. Collectors tend to control this. 

Alpo, one of the other things I’ve encountered in my collecting, referred to originality. Meaning that a piece could be antique, but not vintage. Example.  Take a very early model 1873 in original condition. Certainly an antique. However owner did modifications to the firearm. This reduces value. It is an antique, but modified it is not vintage.  Now enter a famous gun maker or engraver that did work on the firearm, it becomes a vintage in their name and antique because of age age.  It’s very finicky, depends on a lot of factors and you have to research everything about the firearm. 

At this point in my life I consider vintage guns to be anything 50 years old or more.

Vintage clothing,  pre 1950.

Vintage food, most of what’s in my refrigerator.

Vintage wine, 20 years old.

Vintage whiskey, anything still in ax bottle.

Vintage ladies, no such thing.

Some day, Glocks will be vintage. Scary isn’t it? :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I guess that makes me vintage as well.  At least I am not yet considered antique.

In my mind, Vintage is going to be from the first half of the 20th century.  I consider my WW1 and WW2 stuff to be vintage I suppose.

I'm a "collectible".

I have 2 firearms I would consider vintage and 2 that are pretty close. I have a Colt New Service in 45 Colt made about mid-year 1916, and an 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag. The close ones are a Winchester 62A .22, and a Ruger Blackhawk flat top.

"Vintage" is  lazy advertising jargon, meaning "it was made in the past, but it's not antique".

To make it make sense, it should be followed by a date frame, such as "a 1940's vintage revolver."  At least is should include a date range.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:11 PM, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

IIRC, to get antique plates for an auto or truck here in VA, it's got to be 25 yrs old. Not sure if that would apply to your "vintage" question

To me, that needs extrapolated to match the years of history.  Compare the length of time the automobile has been mainstream to the timeline of smokeless powder, then to black powder.  

Vintahe is when starts to add value to a firearm.

Remember all of those Win Model 94s for <$300 about 10-15 years ago.  Now those are vintage guns selling for more.

Vintage could also be anything not considered modern.  

I think anything pre 1970 would be vintage :rolleyes:

Archived